ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Does anyone know how to control lighting using MIDI and Cakewalk or SONAR  (Read 4822 times)

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA

Just as stated. I want to dedicate a MIDI channel in Cakewalk or SONAR that will pass through my sound modules to a MIDI controlled lighting board. The system will change colors, etc. when told to by the song.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Cailen Waddell

Bob I don't know much about cakewalk or sonar but I know lots about midi and lighting.  Basically, whatever controller you have will have a midi chart describing what commands it expects to initiate certain actions. 

Here is an example from ETCs website on their midi control: http://www.etcconnect.com/Support/Articles/Understanding-the-MSC-Commands-Eos-Family-Receives-and-Transmits.aspx

Are you looking for a console recommendation as well?  If so - what do you have to control?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA

I have the controller which is attached to some basic DMX controllers for spots, floods and a couple of other DMX type lighting fixtures. The controller is mounted in the back of one of the on stage racks and is programmed with a number of shows that run randomly. These shows run soft fades, etc. and provide a type of constantly changing stage wash. What I would like to do is generate a MIDI message embedded in MIDI backing track which is then sent to the controller selecting the wash already programmed for use.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA

I have the controller which is attached to some basic DMX controllers for spots, floods and a couple of other DMX type lighting fixtures. The controller is mounted in the back of one of the on stage racks and is programmed with a number of shows that run randomly. These shows run soft fades, etc. and provide a type of constantly changing stage wash. What I would like to do is generate a MIDI message embedded in MIDI backing track which is then sent to the controller selecting the wash already programmed for use.

I think Cailen needs to know what brand/model of controller you've got.
"Art has always held a tenuous position between acts of subversion and status symbol collected by those who profit from the very status quo the art purports to subvert." - Stephen Colbert

James Feenstra

the ability to do this will depend entirely on if the controller you have supports it or not
Elevation Audiovisual
www.elevationav.com
Taking your events to the next level

Bob Charest

• Lab Lounge
  • Westbrook ME, USA
    • Bob Charest Band

...What I would like to do is generate a MIDI message embedded in MIDI backing track which is then sent to the controller selecting the wash already programmed for use.
Hi Bob,

My controller (LanBox) uses Program Change messages to trigger scenes.
For those controllers that use notes, one thing you want to check is if the controller is sensitive to note-off messages in addition to triggering a scene with note-on messages.

The MIDI implementation map from the Chauvet Obey 40 as an example:

The table below show which scenes and chases can be triggered by an external MIDI source.
MIDI Note   Function (toggles trigger on and off)
00–07        Scenes 1–8, Bank 1
08–15        Scenes 1–8, Bank 2
16–23        Scenes 1–8, Bank 3
24–31        Scenes 1–8, Bank 4
21–39        Scenes 1–8, Bank 5
40–47        Scenes 1–8, Bank 6
48–55        Scenes 1–8, Bank 7
56–63        Scenes 1–8, Bank 8
64–71        Scenes 1–8, Bank 9
72–79        Scenes 1–8, Bank 10
80–87        Scenes 1–8, Bank 11
88–95        Scenes 1–8, Bank 12
96–103      Scenes 1–8, Bank 13
104–111    Scenes 1–8, Bank 14
112–119    Scenes 1–8, Bank 15
120           Chase 1
121           Chase 2
122           Chase 3
123           Chase 4
124           Chase 5
125           Chase 6
126           Blackout

Best regards,
Bob

PS: In looking at the Obey40 manual, I didn't see where one can set what MIDI channel it is on, so you'll have to ensure that only the single note events you want reach the controller.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 10:38:02 AM by Bob Charest »

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: Does anyone know how to control lighting using MIDI and Cakewalk or SONAR
ยซ Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 10:33:54 AM ยป

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 21 queries.