ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: need a Recomendation - Front Fill Speaker?  (Read 18947 times)

Ryan McLeod

need a Recomendation - Front Fill Speaker?
« on: March 23, 2011, 01:06:27 pm »

Hey all -

Looking for your recomendation for a front/lip-fill speaker box that won't break the bank, for use in a 300-seat theatre environment. The ideal candidate would be:

- 60 degrees  x 20 degrees ( a rotatable horn would be nice)
- passive (not powered, not biamp)
- nicely compact, low profile a bonus
- generally fasll under the category of a "professional tool" and not an "MI/cheap" box.
- uner the $1000 pricepoint
- must be new and currently available - not "if you can find a used JF...."  :o

The EAW JF26 would be a great option, but it's priced well above $1000.00

What woud you reach for?

Thanks in advance -

Ryan

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: need a Recomendation - Front Fill Speaker?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 01:58:28 pm »

Hey all -

Looking for your recomendation for a front/lip-fill speaker box that won't break the bank, for use in a 300-seat theatre environment. The ideal candidate would be:

In a speaker small enough to qualify as a "lip fill" a 60x20 coverage pattern is only going to be at the highest frequencies. I would look for something with a wider, symmetrical, pattern to have more consistent frequency response across the pattern.

If you are going to build them into the front of the stage, something like the Renkus Heinz SGX42 might be what you want.

If they will remain portable, the EAW JF80 or JF60 may be better, and would be good for other uses, like SFX playback.

In either case a wider rated pattern probably means more even response in and out of the pattern.

Mac

chuck clark

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 02:00:23 pm »

Hi Ryan, I have recently fallen in love w/ the Turbo TDX 15M!  It's 60x40, very close to what you spec. It's a full rich smooth crisp box that will easily handle double it's conservative 300 rms Watt rating. It does have a large format horn (3" voice coil) and an VERY robust passive crossover making them a simple 1 cable to each box solution. I put double 18's under them and do rap acts!  I run 1 or 2 off each side of a PLX 3402 so they are getting 550 to 700 watts each. Acuna matada- no problems. I also use them for monitor rentals, and people LUV em.  They even have a pole socket for corpaorate PA on a stick apps. They seem to have enough throw to punch to the back of a large room (100 ft.) yet smooth enough to play nice in the near field. I also love JBL SRX 712M's but they have like a 90x50 horn (can't remember exactly) anyhoo if you want a little more throw and the extra bottom w/ the 15" you'll love the turbos. They commonly list for $1030, I bet if you shop around you can find some for under a grand. Happy sailing.
Chuck
PS: If you ever need brutal loud you can put a 4" coil 15 woof in them and bi-amp them. Stand back! I've NOT needed to do this to run at 130 db, but knowing I can, gives me a warm feeling. Heh, heh.

Iain.Macdonald

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 02:21:43 pm »

Hey all -

- generally fasll under the category of a "professional tool" and not an "MI/cheap" box.

What woud you reach for?

Thanks in advance -

Ryan

Hi,

As Mac said, 90 is the usual for front fill. The EM Acoustics i2 is a really nice sounding speaker that is worth a listen. It fits your budget.

Iain.

Scott Hofmann

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 06:35:20 pm »

Hey all -

What woud you reach for?

Thanks in advance -

Ryan
I've had good success with the SLS Audio 2403 flush mount and 2413 surface mount. 110x50 degree and uses their ribbon driver. They always sound good.
Scott Hofmann

Charlie Zureki

• South Eastern Michigan (near Windsor)
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 12:19:07 am »

Hi Ryan, I have recently fallen in love w/ the Turbo TDX 15M!  It's 60x40, very close to what you spec.

Hello Chuck,

The TDX is a decent sounding Monitor, but, I don't think it's  really what the OP had in mind. He was looking for a box for a  Stage "Front Fill" application. 

Cheers,
   Hammer

Do it the right way....don't be a Dino!

Grant Conklin

• G-Force Pro Audio
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 02:00:22 am »

Hi Ryan,
I agree with the others that a 90 degree box is probably more desirable for a front fill.  If it fits your spl needs, the Fulcrum Acoustic CX896 would be a contender.  You'll likely be able to scoop out lows and mids from the fill speaker that are being covered by the mains, thus achieving a higher max spl than the published eq'd spec of 119db. 
https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fulcrum-acoustic.com%2Fwordpress%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2011%2F01%2FProd-Spec-CX896-v4.pdf

Grant
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 02:12:12 am by Grant Conklin »

Jens Palm Bacher

• Lydfabrikken
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 04:32:24 am »

For theatre: Meyer MM4XP. (yeah it's active, but only 1 cable..)

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2011, 07:42:55 am »

Hey all -

What woud you reach for?

Thanks in advance -

Ryan

In small to medium theaters I see quite a few Bag End, I think the number is TA6000, but I am horrible with numbers. I believe it meets most of your criteria with just a little wider pattern.
Jay Barracato

Phil Hornung

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2011, 09:33:39 am »

It's a bit bigger than a JF, but the VTC FF-1 www.vtcproaudio.com/ff1.html is a great little passive speaker. Yorkville, I know, but this is the box in that line that really stands out to me. Seen a few companies using it as lip fill as companion to more high-end PA systems and it fits in. It is just a bit big physically, but has great output and sounds very good. If very small size is a concern it may knock this out of contention,  but I'd say this has similar acoustic performance to a JF at a lower cost.

Lev Raber

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2011, 09:40:27 am »

Ryan, look here:
http://www.qscaudio.com/products/speakers/isis/i282h/i282h.htm
The best choice for the money I made for front fills and tonns of other applications. Comes in very nice package with frames included.

Nick Pires

• Portland, ME
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2011, 09:44:42 am »

Hey all -

What woud you reach for?

Thanks in advance -

Ryan
We use EV Xi 1082. Single 8" LF and 1.5" on a 90x40 horn for HF.
I'm not who I would be, if I wasn't who I am.

Steven 'DJ Sound' Pelham

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2011, 11:29:02 am »

Seconding the EM Acoustics i2!

Chuck Fudge

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2011, 11:32:32 am »

EV ZX 1   The box is a little larger than the traditional lip fills...but....it is a great sounding box that fits your budget.

Chuck Fudge

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2011, 11:57:39 am »

EV ZX 1   The box is a little larger than the traditional lip fills...but....it is a great sounding box that fits your budget.

We purchased 6 JBL AC/26 boxes for lip fill.....very pleased with these

Jonathan Kok

• Toronto
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2011, 01:57:11 pm »

Hey all -

What woud you reach for?

Thanks in advance -

Ryan

What kid of SPL are you looking to get out of these? Assuming typical Theatre use:

The EAW UB12Se may suit your needs. 120deg conical pattern.  Small (11x6.5x6"), and cheap ($300), so you can line the front edge of your stage with a half-dozen of these for the price of a pair of the other options.  Assuming you don't plan on driving these too hard, they'd be about perfect.  Line the front edge of the stage with 'em.  The vertical dispersion is largely irrelevant; they shouldn't be audibly discernable beyond 10' anyway.

The Meyer MM4XP is also a fantastic little box...tiny, too.  Love that little guy...technically an active box, but not in the 'you need a plug right next to it' way.

chuck clark

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2011, 02:42:58 pm »

Nevermind.  Hahaha!

Of course your right, "lip fill" = very low profile. It's just that I actually put my turbos in a theater that had an OLD main system, (picture monitors aiming back towards the audience at either side of the stage) and they sounded amazingly decent. Good clear sound in the balcony but you could still stand to sit in the front rows and hear clearly also. The theater tech wanted to know what they were. Not optimum for the OP's situation I guess but these have been working well on so many different things I just had to tell somebody!
Thank you for your accurate clarification of application!
Chuck

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2011, 02:42:58 pm »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 23 queries.