ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: LED Talks - SurgeX Now Live Until Sept 6th  (Read 12277 times)

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
Re: LED Talks - SurgeX starting Aug 18th
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2014, 10:44:59 AM »

Martin,

This all makes sense for installed systems, but what can us portable guys do about lightning and surge protection. Which of your products are suited for portable sound systems and how would you deploy them when there's separate Front of House and Stage power that needs to be protected? And yes, there's typically going to be some sort of copper connecting FOH and the Stage, even with digital snakes.

Mike Sokol

Barry Singleton

Re: LED Talks - SurgeX Now Live Until Aug 26th
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2014, 02:13:11 PM »

Hi;

I really thought this would be a busy topic as lousy power can be so problematic.

How about the challenge of really noisy power like that contaminated with harmonics  induced into the neutral as well as the lines like from non power factor corrected switching power supplies used in lighting, and or inverter driven motors and the like?

I have had to cascade transformers to reduce noise to tolerable levels in the past. 

I haven't perused the SurgeX site in some time and probably should have prior to posting but the clock is about to run out on this thread so I shot from the hip.

It seems that the coils in your lightning suppression defense system might have some effect on this?  Are there products in the SurgeX line that are capable of dealing with this type of problem? Shielded isolation transformer based or?

Sincerely, thank you!

Barry.

If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2014, 05:08:05 PM »

Since Martin has been traveling every day and had limited time to answer his LED Talk questions, I've extended his time through the weekend. So get your questions in NOW.

Martin Dornfeld

« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2014, 08:56:12 AM »

Hi;

I really thought this would be a busy topic as lousy power can be so problematic.

How about the challenge of really noisy power like that contaminated with harmonics  induced into the neutral as well as the lines like from non power factor corrected switching power supplies used in lighting, and or inverter driven motors and the like?

I have had to cascade transformers to reduce noise to tolerable levels in the past. 

I haven't perused the SurgeX site in some time and probably should have prior to posting but the clock is about to run out on this thread so I shot from the hip.

It seems that the coils in your lightning suppression defense system might have some effect on this?  Are there products in the SurgeX line that are capable of dealing with this type of problem? Shielded isolation transformer based or?

Sincerely, thank you!

Barry.

The coils will in fact address high frequency noise on the AC.  Our products also have an impedance tolerant EMI/RFI filter that addresses both normal and common mode noise.  We can generally get 4+ volts of common mode noise down to under a half volt.
Martin Dornfeld
Northern Regional Manager and Director of Consultant Engagement, ESP/SurgeX
www.surgex.com

Martin Dornfeld

Re: LED Talks - SurgeX starting Aug 18th
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2014, 09:01:32 AM »

Martin,

This all makes sense for installed systems, but what can us portable guys do about lightning and surge protection. Which of your products are suited for portable sound systems and how would you deploy them when there's separate Front of House and Stage power that needs to be protected? And yes, there's typically going to be some sort of copper connecting FOH and the Stage, even with digital snakes.

Mike Sokol

Depending on the set up, there are a couple of options.  Any racks that you bring to the venue should have one of our rack mount products with our COUVS over/under voltage protection.  This will not only protect from nearby lightning, but also the occasional mis-wired circuit, or lifted neutral.  If you have a digital console, or other gear that can’t go down during the show, I would suggest one of our double conversion online UPSs.  These are also great for venues with generator power.  If you are tying your gear into a house system, you should consider our stand-alone units, like the SA-20.  You can bring them to the venue to protect the house system during the event.  If both FOH and stage are protected with SurgeX, there would be no issue with surge energy being dumped to ground, so your system interconnects would not be contaminated as a result.
Martin Dornfeld
Northern Regional Manager and Director of Consultant Engagement, ESP/SurgeX
www.surgex.com

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
Re: LED Talks - SurgeX Now Live Until Aug 30th
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2014, 11:16:53 AM »

Martin,
You offer two types of UPS units Li and Ol. Can you explain the differences and the applications for each?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Barry Singleton

Re: LED Talks - SurgeX Now Live Until Sept 6th
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2014, 02:01:16 PM »

Thank you Sir.

Barry.
If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: LED Talks - SurgeX Now Live Until Sept 6th
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2014, 02:01:16 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 24 queries.