ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Counting Power Draw from PA system  (Read 23978 times)

Conrad Muzoora

• Mbarara, Uganda. www.koolinvestments.co.ug
    • Kool Events Uganda
Counting Power Draw from PA system
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2014, 06:13:52 AM »

If you are in Indonesia pick the largest of these Elemax Honda powered generators. They are very reliable and have an automatic voltage regulator!
http://www.elemax.jp/products_ex.html
The SH7600EX has about 6.5KV. I run a qsc Rmx 5050 and 4050 off it with great results at 4R load tickling the clip lights
Conrad
www.kooleventug.com

Chris Hutagalung

Re: Counting Power Draw from PA system
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2014, 12:54:49 AM »

If you are in Indonesia pick the largest of these Elemax Honda powered generators. They are very reliable and have an automatic voltage regulator!
http://www.elemax.jp/products_ex.html
The SH7600EX has about 6.5KV. I run a qsc Rmx 5050 and 4050 off it with great results at 4R load tickling the clip lights
Conrad
www.kooleventug.com

so youre saying that >6kVa should be enough for 6000W PA system at 220V ?

Lyle Williams

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2014, 12:20:15 PM »

so youre saying that >6kVa should be enough for 6000W PA system at 220V ?

Get yourself one of those $20 green power meters and measure how much real power your system draws when you play your kind of material through it at your kind of level.

Scott Bolt

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2014, 06:05:22 PM »

I ran a pair of DSR112's over a pair of PRX618S-XLF's and 8 PAR 56 (300W ea at max) all off of a single breaker.

The music was pushing the clip limiters; however, I did pop the breaker eventually and had to get another circuit ran over to prevent it for the rest of the night (wedding reception).

I have frequently ran my system off of a single 15A circuit when NOT running my lights.

Your bigger issue isn't the amps, it is (as mentioned) the surge currents you will need.

What will likely happen with any generator you buy is that the voltage will sag when the surge is needed.  This can cause all kinds of bad things to happen.

If you are running off of a generator, I strongly recommend you use something like the Furman AR1215. 

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2014, 11:18:54 AM »

If you are running off of a generator, I strongly recommend you use something like the Furman AR1215.

Funny you should say that.  I just fried one on those last weekend.  I was running it on a 30 amp generator for the announcer at the finish line of a race when the magic smoke came out.  I thought I would have plenty of power!  I will never use one of them  with a generator again!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2014, 11:38:51 AM »

Funny you should say that.  I just fried one on those last weekend.  I was running it on a 30 amp generator for the announcer at the finish line of a race when the magic smoke came out.  I thought I would have plenty of power!  I will never use one of them  with a generator again!

AVRs are relatively simple devices - autotransformers that switch secondary windings.  Some do this more elegantly that others, but the basic concepts are the same.  That said, either there was a serious up-stream problem and the Furman died trying to do its job, or the unit developed a fatal defect.  These types of failures are NOT common.

There have been a lot more posts than usual about generator problems.  One in the AC power forum right now, where the OP thinks something about generators is responsible for audio component failure in his digital mixer:  http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,150927.0.html

I suspect the real problems involve using under-sized generators (see the plethora of threads about "how to size a generator) and expecting the genset to simply work.  It's not a kitchen appliance or light bulb...

I will continue my crusade for users to hire "real" generators - the kind that run on diesel fuel and cannot be lifted into the back of your pickup truck.  While MQ Whisper-Watt and similar are not without their issues (always maintenance), we seldom (as in almost never) hear about any down-stream equipment failures when using properly sized generators designed for event or tech grade use.

We do dozens of shows on generators every year, and I reject about 20% of gensets in the first 5 minutes of inspecting them.  If the rental shop sends out a unit with stripped/missing lug screws, broken circuit breaker handles, etc, it's a pretty safe assumption that they've ignored the innards, too, and I red-tag the unit until they come out and fix the broken stuff and service the unit in my presence.  I also tell the event organizers to not be penny-wise and pound foolish - if the budget genset they provide fails at show time, THEY have to deal with hundreds or thousands of unhappy audience members and acts that will demand their settlements RFN.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 12:22:57 PM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2014, 12:00:48 PM »

An AR1215 is a 15 amp unit.

See your problem?
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2014, 12:18:02 PM »

An AR1215 is a 15 amp unit.

See your problem?

Oh yeah, and I smelled it too! ;)  Seriously, though, I thought I was running at less than 15 amps, but I learned my lesson.  it appears Furman is going to repair it under warranty(great service) and it did sacrifice its life to save my equipment.

Scott Bolt

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2014, 07:56:15 PM »

Figures!  I recommend a unit, and someone on the forum has one die within a week of my recommendation ;)

In general, I believe that the reliability of the AR1215 has been pretty good.  I am sorry for your loss.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2014, 07:56:15 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 23 queries.