ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Choosing Automatic Voltage Regulator for PA system  (Read 6297 times)

Chris Hutagalung

Choosing Automatic Voltage Regulator for PA system
« on: August 09, 2014, 12:58:04 AM »

Hi folks,

I am completely newbie here and I have a question regarding choosing the best AVR for our system after the power generator.

So our system is consisted of 4 JBL PRX rated at 1500W Each so total would be 6000W Plus audio console, couple of wireless, and ouboard gears.

So I am thinking buying 10kVa generator and I dont know which AVR to choose. Should I buy 10 kVa regulator as well ?

Thanks

Paul G. OBrien

Re: Choosing Automatic Voltage Regulator for PA system
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 10:06:04 AM »

Buy a generator with built-in voltage regulation, and then put a UPS in the FOH rack for all the small signal components.

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 11:18:02 AM »

Chris, based on your comments, you are confusing advertised power output of the speaker cabs with their current draw.  A 1500 watt cab does not draw 1500 watts of power.  I can tell you that you can run your 4 prx cabs and outboard gear on one 20 amp circuit - people do it all the time.  With a generator you would want a little more "headroom" than that, but you don't need a 10 kVa generator for the system you describe.  A 10kVa generator is capable of producing about 83 amps at 120 volts.  If you don't mind the extra weight and expense of a generator that large then no harm done.  There have been several posts discussing power draw and with a quick search I think you can learn a lot about the subject.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 11:31:14 AM by Chuck Simon »

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2014, 11:50:35 AM »

Chris, based on your comments, you are confusing advertised power output of the speaker cabs with their current draw.  A 1500 watt cab does not draw 1500 watts of power.  I can tell you that you can run your 4 prx cabs and outboard gear on one 20 amp circuit - people do it all the time.  With a generator you would want a little more "headroom" than that, but you don't need a 10 kVa generator for the system you describe.  A 10kVa generator is capable of producing about 83 amps at 120 volts.  If you don't mind the extra weight and expense of a generator that large then no harm done.  There have been several posts discussing power draw and with a quick search I think you can learn a lot about the subject.

I'm still trying to figure out why venues in Indonesia don't allow production to use house power.  Perhaps it's because they have none to offer?  Or is there some venue policy that, by industrial or social custom, prohibits it?

I understand buying a generator for small shows in places where power is unavailable but to my Western thinking, to arrive at a facility and find they won't provide power is frankly unthinkable.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Chris Hutagalung

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2014, 09:32:20 PM »

thanks a lot. but we are using 220V here in indonesia.

Chris Hutagalung

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2014, 09:33:56 PM »

I'm still trying to figure out why venues in Indonesia don't allow production to use house power.  Perhaps it's because they have none to offer?  Or is there some venue policy that, by industrial or social custom, prohibits it?

I understand buying a generator for small shows in places where power is unavailable but to my Western thinking, to arrive at a facility and find they won't provide power is frankly unthinkable.

Yeah i find it really frustrating on how they think about power. I was in US before I moved back to Indonesia and I think Its much more convenient in US

Conrad Muzoora

• Mbarara, Uganda. www.koolinvestments.co.ug
    • Kool Events Uganda
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014, 12:39:43 AM »

It all boils down to good business sense! Although I'd love to hove the ample juice from a 10kv or more genset, the majority of my gigs are low budget and small enough to run off of a honda 6.5kv. I have invested in four such generators to use with my four separate rigs. On rare occasions I combine two rigs and run 2 such generators for a larger than usual gig. This set up has been very flexible and cost effective for me. If I had one large 25kv (costs more than  four honda 6.5kv) I wouldn't be able to do four rigs simultaneously! And besides, you can always rent for  larger than usual shows that have the budget, but are so infrequent to warrant the ownership of the large diesel genset.
Conrad
www.kooleventug.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014, 12:39:43 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 25 queries.