ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: JBL STX Owners......  (Read 20786 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: JBL STX Owners......
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2014, 10:45:33 AM »

A couple of weeks ago I did see an eBay account under their name, claimed to be the official JBL eBay account. All brand new gear, listed at street price, and I think everything had "Make An Offer!" available...   -- Yeah, there it is, ebay usr jbl-direct - claiming to be "the official JBL eBay store" -- who knows if that's legit or not, though. I get the vibe that JBL would smack them down for making that sorta claim if they we're affiliated with JBL, tho.

-Ray

It will be interesting.  I sent an ebay message to the seller asking if they are authorized JBL dealers and if the product carries a full factory warranty.  The dealer shows item location in Atlanta and listed the Eon (first thing in the list that popped up) as a refurb.  Will be awaiting their reply.

I understand Jamin's skepticism, he's a JBL dealer and never heard of such and I'm sure that authorized JBL dealers would have a negative impression of JBL competing against their own dealers.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 10:47:53 AM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2014, 11:19:56 AM »

It looks like most of what they're selling is listed as refurbished.  There were several instances of negative feedback where the buyer claimed the item didn't work when they received it.  Who knows.  One thing I know for sure is that 99% of the speakers I get from JBL come from Moreno, CA.  Not sure what this Atlanta location is. 

But regarding the original post, I'm thoroughly baffled that it took 5 smoked HF drivers for the OP to question if something was wrong.  I'd venture to guess you're simply sending them too much power.  If you're using a Driverack PA/PX to process them, the output limiters have fixed attack/release times.  They work OK as peak limiters, but they do very little to limit the RMS power going to the speaker. 

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2014, 11:45:00 AM »

The big question is why would anyone deal with these people in the first place?  I compared their prices on REFERBISHED 828 and 835's and I can get a better price on brand new ones from an authorized, reputable dealer!

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2014, 12:13:39 PM »

The big question is why would anyone deal with these people in the first place?  I compared their prices on REFERBISHED 828 and 835's and I can get a better price on brand new ones from an authorized, reputable dealer!
Probably because when you're advertising something, even on eBay, you do need to adhere to MAP guidelines. So, that's why everything says "make an offer." The question still remains as to whether they're actually JBL or not...

Anyways, back to the OP! The I-Techs have great internal processing. Set up some limiters in there and you might resolve some of your problems. You can get the tunings from JBL for the STX boxes on I-Tech HDs; you can't get the preset files, but you can see the numbers and program it in yourself.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Matt Vivlamore

• Lab Lounge
  • Southern Maryland
    • https://www.facebook.com/MeerkatSound/
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2014, 03:44:38 PM »

The driver in the stx line is quite a bit different than the older srx driver. Like I said, I've had zero driver failure's with my srx 725's & they've been used with the same amps & processing. I did buy these 4 825's, refurbished from JBL direct so this has me wondering if their might be an issue. I'm going to contact them tomorrow & see what they say.

Wait, are you running the SRX725 settings on the STX825?

I'm only seeing STX Tune Settings for: XTi2, IT4300HD & IT-HD... dbx doesn't list anything STX on any of their list.
We're based in Southern Maryland, and LIKE us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MeerkatSound/

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2014, 06:01:17 PM »

A couple of weeks ago I did see an eBay account under their name, claimed to be the official JBL eBay account. All brand new gear, listed at street price, and I think everything had "Make An Offer!" available...   -- Yeah, there it is, ebay usr jbl-direct - claiming to be "the official JBL eBay store" -- who knows if that's legit or not, though. I get the vibe that JBL would smack them down for making that sorta claim if they we're affiliated with JBL, tho.

-Ray

To my extreme surprise, I was just told by Harman that this is an authorized agent helping to move B-stock and refinished Harman items.

Is this what's it's coming down to now?  Not a happy Harman dealer here >:(

Lance Richens

« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2014, 07:04:15 PM »

Ok, I've yet to contact JBL.  As far as why I bought these refurbished? $1200.00 a pop is a nice price on an 825. Let me explain the situation a bit further. I had an issue with a wireless microphone that sent out an extreme "high white noise" through the system taking out three of the diaphragms at once. I originally blamed this for the first failures and replaced the diaphragms. However during the next gig, a rodeo, I lost two more. I was running the stx's and srx's in stereo array at a "moderate" volume all weekend and as always, had NO trouble with the srx 725's running the "older" driver. The system is run Bi-amp over srx-728's using the internal crossovers in the 725's and 825's
Too Soon Old, Too Late Smart.....

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2014, 07:28:04 PM »

Can you confirm that you are using different processing on your 825s than your 725s? And can you explain the Driverack processing instead of the iTech?

Lance Richens

Lance Richens

« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2014, 07:29:52 PM »

The original listing....
http://www.ebay.com/itm/281302045348?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

No, I was using the srx-725 settings as my driverack's have no stx settings in them.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2014, 07:29:52 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 23 queries.