ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Yamaha MG16XU and monitors  (Read 16255 times)

Monte West

Yamaha MG16XU and monitors
« on: July 28, 2014, 01:25:12 PM »

I'm using a Yamaha MG16XU mixer with a Yamaha 3500 power amp, running into two Yamaha SV115, (mains) and two JBL 15 wedge monitors. This is new equipment to me and I don't think I have it connected right. I run a patch cable from 1  (main out) channel of the mixer to 1 input of the amp and one (monitor out) to the other input of the amp. (all 4 speakers at 4 ohms?? correct??)
I'm using 4 mics (Shure SM58s) in 4 channels, a bass (through a DI box) and my laptop with drum tracks in 2 other channels.
The problem is the monitor hookup. I can't raise or lower each channel by itself through the monitors, everything comes through and I can only adjust the monitor volume with it's own control (knob)
Should I be going through an aux out to the monitors??
Do I need another power amp??
We're not running loud volumes, but the mixer shows a lot of yellow, (occasionally some red) on the input levels.
What am I doing wrong??
Thanks for any help.

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
Re: Yamaha MG16XU and monitors
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 01:27:11 PM »

Read the rules, fix your display name.

Thank you for your cooperation.
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Thomas Le

Yamaha MG16XU and monitors
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 02:32:21 PM »

Generally you run monitors from the aux sends. In this case since you're running one amp, you run the main left from the mixer to channel 1 on the amp that feeds to your Yamaha mains. For monitors, you run the aux send to channel 2 of the amp that feeds to your JBL wedges.

You could get another amp so that you can have two monitor mixes should you desire it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jim Thorn

• State College, PA
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 09:23:18 PM »

Monte,

The labeling tripped you up.

Just to clarify, the output jacks marked "monitor" are not for stage monitor speakers, but are there for the board operator to "monitor" the main mix, aux mixes, and PFL (pre-fader listen) of individual inputs.  The signals they carry are duplicates of the signals at the board's headphone jack.  They are normally used to feed control room monitor speakers in recording situations.

As Thomas pointed out, stage monitors are usually fed by aux mix 1; its output jack is labeled "aux 1 send".  Change your cable to that one, and you'll be good.

For signal level problems, take a look at the procedure on page 10 of the manual.  Engage PFL on one input at a time, and set that input's gain knob so that the loudest moments light the yellow segments on the main meter, not the reds.  Be sure that only one channel's PFL switch is engaged at a time.  Then set up your mix, and if the meters must be driven into the red to get enough volume from the speakers, then the input level knob on the amp needs to be turned up.

Best wishes,
Jim Thorn

I'm using a Yamaha MG16XU mixer with a Yamaha 3500 power amp, running into two Yamaha SV115, (mains) and two JBL 15 wedge monitors. This is new equipment to me and I don't think I have it connected right. I run a patch cable from 1  (main out) channel of the mixer to 1 input of the amp and one (monitor out) to the other input of the amp. (all 4 speakers at 4 ohms?? correct??)
I'm using 4 mics (Shure SM58s) in 4 channels, a bass (through a DI box) and my laptop with drum tracks in 2 other channels.
The problem is the monitor hookup. I can't raise or lower each channel by itself through the monitors, everything comes through and I can only adjust the monitor volume with it's own control (knob)
Should I be going through an aux out to the monitors??
Do I need another power amp??
We're not running loud volumes, but the mixer shows a lot of yellow, (occasionally some red) on the input levels.
What am I doing wrong??
Thanks for any help.

Monte West

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 10:37:33 AM »

Monte,

The labeling tripped you up.

Just to clarify, the output jacks marked "monitor" are not for stage monitor speakers, but are there for the board operator to "monitor" the main mix, aux mixes, and PFL (pre-fader listen) of individual inputs.  The signals they carry are duplicates of the signals at the board's headphone jack.  They are normally used to feed control room monitor speakers in recording situations.

As Thomas pointed out, stage monitors are usually fed by aux mix 1; its output jack is labeled "aux 1 send".  Change your cable to that one, and you'll be good.

For signal level problems, take a look at the procedure on page 10 of the manual.  Engage PFL on one input at a time, and set that input's gain knob so that the loudest moments light the yellow segments on the main meter, not the reds.  Be sure that only one channel's PFL switch is engaged at a time.  Then set up your mix, and if the meters must be driven into the red to get enough volume from the speakers, then the input level knob on the amp needs to be turned up.

Best wishes,
Jim Thorn

Thanks Tom & Jim, I figured it had something to do with the aux send. You would think the owners manual would explain this to novices.
Again, thanks for the help. ;D

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 01:33:52 PM »

Thanks Tom & Jim, I figured it had something to do with the aux send. You would think the owners manual would explain this to novices.
Again, thanks for the help. ;D

Monte,

I hate to have to call you out on that statement but the owners manual does explain it.  Even has diagrams showing how to hook things up.  Looked up yesterday when your thread was still locked. Glad you've got it covered now, but you might want to re-read your manual. 
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 02:00:13 PM »

Monte,

I hate to have to call you out on that statement but the owners manual does explain it.  Even has diagrams showing how to hook things up.  Looked up yesterday when your thread was still locked. Glad you've got it covered now, but you might want to re-read your manual.

He's a guy.  We're not good with maps, either... ;)
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Monte West

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 04:24:47 PM »

Monte,

Thanks Scott, I couldn't find or didn't understand the diagram. It shows "monitor out" going to two powered (monitor) speakers), so I ran one patch line to one input of the amp. We've only used it twice so far, and I'm playing, bass, guitar and vocals and trying to figure the equipment out at the same time. Although I did figure it had something to do with the aux sends. Hey, I'm 68, whaddya expect??

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2014, 09:00:27 PM »

Thanks Scott, I couldn't find or didn't understand the diagram. It shows "monitor out" going to two powered (monitor) speakers), so I ran one patch line to one input of the amp. We've only used it twice so far, and I'm playing, bass, guitar and vocals and trying to figure the equipment out at the same time. Although I did figure it had something to do with the aux sends. Hey, I'm 68, whaddya expect??

Oh yeah it does show that. But that's not your application obvious as explained to you earlier by others. I was looking at the diagram that shows aux send being sent to two powered speakers. Didn't even realize it also showed that for the monitor out . Guess I need to RTFM.
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

Mark Ralls

• Lab Lounge
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2015, 03:31:40 PM »

Hi Jim,
I am using a Yamaha MG16XU mixer with 2 Wharfedale powered monitors connected to aux1 and aux2 but I can only get sound from aux1. I have the levels tuned up on aux1 and aux2 nobs for each channel and aux1 and 2 on the right of the desk. The only way I can get them both to work is by pressing the 'pre' button below aux2 for each channel. Is this the correct way or am I doing something completely wrong?
Regards
Mark.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2015, 03:31:40 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 24 queries.