ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: D-Sub (25pin) usage/quality  (Read 2271 times)

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
D-Sub (25pin) usage/quality
« on: February 07, 2019, 02:22:26 PM »

Looking to get a few of these cables to simplify event setup.

https://www.audiopile.net/DSUB#tab-1

Anyone have experience with this particular brand of D-Sub?  Are the pin connectors solid or hollow?  Does the case/connector feel solid?

I've seen some cheap versions of these cables and they just don't last from continuous plugging in, removing... plugging in, removing... etc... pins get bent, some pins come out... the usual.

I have various/many EWI cables (XLR, inserts, 1/4 to 1/4), but nothing like a DB25.  The quality of what I do have has been great.  I have no experience with their DSub offerings.  I'm open to other suggestions if there are better options.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
D-Sub (25pin) usage/quality
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2019, 02:43:13 PM »

What sort of usage are you looking at with these?

In my opinion, the d-sub connector series was not designed for extensive plugging and unplugging. No touring company would use them for daily setups.

They were originally used to interconnect electronic sub assemblies where the connections stayed put for a long time.

Later, the 9 pin was used for serial data communications and the 15 pin for computer monitors. Neither were disconnected often.

The huge advantage of them is their cost, low because of the numbers produced.

I used Elco connectors some time ago for snake connections but they also were a bit fussy and easily broken. However, with care, they did the job.

I like the gear from Audiopile though I would not expect rugged assemblies at low cost.

My $0.02

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 02:45:21 PM by Rob Spence »
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
Re: D-Sub (25pin) usage/quality
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2019, 03:05:25 PM »

What sort of usage are you looking at with these?

In my opinion, the d-sub connector series was not designed for extensive plugging and unplugging. No touring company would use them for daily setups.

They were originally used to interconnect electronic sub assemblies where the connections stayed put for a long time.

Later, the 9 pin was used for serial data communications and the 15 pin for computer monitors. Neither were disconnected often.

The huge advantage of them is their cost, low because of the numbers produced.

I used Elco connectors some time ago for snake connections but they also were a bit fussy and easily broken. However, with care, they did the job.

I like the gear from Audiopile though I would not expect rugged assemblies at low cost.

My $0.02

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Thanks.

This is for the analog setup we use.  Was looking at simplifying and speeding up setup by having the gates/compressors "pre-wired" in the outboard (and on the console) so all was needed was to connect the appropriate connector (from the console) to a patch panel on the back of the outboard rack.  There would be a lot of connecting/disconnecting between shows.

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2019, 03:06:13 PM »

I'm a huge fan of LK-style multipins.
LK37 is more and more the standard connector over here these days.
Rugged and reliable.

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2019, 05:12:39 PM »

I haven't used the EWI ones from Audio Pile. But I have bought several assemblies from Pro Audio LA, for my studio and recording interconnect and like them very much. But they are all custom built per order.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2019, 05:53:14 PM »

I'm a huge fan of LK-style multipins.
LK37 is more and more the standard connector over here these days.
Rugged and reliable.

At about 100x the price of a mating pair of DB25.

LK are great connectors, no doubt.  At Bob's level the price makes them an unrealistic choice.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

boburtz

• SR Forums
  • San Francisco Bay Area
    • SoundWizard Productions
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2019, 08:28:21 PM »

Looking to get a few of these cables to simplify event setup.

I'm open to other suggestions if there are better options.
Amp CPC (size 23, 37 position) is relatively inexpensive if you make them yourself, and they have the bonus of being "somewhat" of a standard... Most of the companies around here use them (SF Bay Area). If you decide to make them yourself, I would encourage you to make them male to female, like an XLR cable, so they can be extended if necessary. Also, the Ramlatch standard pinout is available on the Ramtech website. That's what all of the stuff I have experience with uses.

Matthew Knischewsky

• Kitchener Ontario Canada
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2019, 09:32:56 PM »

Thanks.

This is for the analog setup we use.  Was looking at simplifying and speeding up setup by having the gates/compressors "pre-wired" in the outboard (and on the console) so all was needed was to connect the appropriate connector (from the console) to a patch panel on the back of the outboard rack.  There would be a lot of connecting/disconnecting between shows.

Years ago I built a multi system using DB25s for my Midas Venice and FX rack. I got tired of repatching at the console between gigs and couldn't afford the real deal so I chopped the 8 channel insert cable and 8 channel FX cable and soldered inline DB25 connectors on there. Made a few other snakes like them for other purposes, and I never had any problems with any of them. They went across the country (Canada) a few times so that should count as "Touring".

They survived as well as they did because the connectors were relatively well protected in the back of the rack and I was doing most of the patching. None of the doom and gloom that I read about occurred. The stage box in the link makes me a bit nervous, I would be less likely to endorse that application.

I still use the DB25 cables to this day in my home studio but they don't see the mating/un mating cycles that they once did.

Matt
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 09:10:32 AM by Matthew Knischewsky »

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2019, 06:45:41 AM »

I haven't used the EWI ones from Audio Pile. But I have bought several assemblies from Pro Audio LA, for my studio and recording interconnect and like them very much. But they are all custom built per order.
Thanks.

At about 100x the price of a mating pair of DB25.

LK are great connectors, no doubt.  At Bob's level the price makes them an unrealistic choice.
Yes.  Top of the line is definitely not needed for my applications.

Years ago I built a multi system using DB25s for my Midas Venice and FX rack. I got tired of repatching at the console between gigs and couldn't afford the real deal so I chopped the 8 channel insert cable and 8 channel FX cable and soldered inline DB25 connectors on there. Made a few other snakes like them for other purposes, and I never had any problems with any of them. They went across the country (Canada) a few times so that should count as "Touring".

They survived as well as they did because the connectors were relatively well protected in the back of the rack and I was doing most of the patching. None of the doom and gloom that I read about occurred. The stage box in the link makes me a bit nervous, I would be less likely to endorse that application.

I still use the DB25 cables to this day in my home studio but they don't see the mating/un mating cycles that they once did.

Matt

Yes, this is what I'm needing to accomplish.  In fact, was looking at the EWI offerings on their DB25 patch bays.  It would probably be me doing all the patching/connecting for each show... hopefully, this would reduce the un-needed fatigue on the gear that can be present when more than 1 person is exercising connections. 

Amp CPC (size 23, 37 position) is relatively inexpensive if you make them yourself, and they have the bonus of being "somewhat" of a standard... Most of the companies around here use them (SF Bay Area). If you decide to make them yourself, I would encourage you to make them male to female, like an XLR cable, so they can be extended if necessary. Also, the Ramlatch standard pinout is available on the Ramtech website. That's what all of the stuff I have experience with uses.

Will take a look.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2019, 11:49:49 PM »

The AMP CPC Boburtz suggests is probably the easiest non-DB connector to assemble.  The connectors are fairly inexpensive as such things go, the pins are common to a several popular AMP connectors and the crimpers/dies easy to find (possibly used on fleabay).  That said, you'd still be building them and frankly it's a fair bit of work.  Building at least a couple at a time lets you develop a rhythm of some kind.  Wire prep, heat shrink work, crimping pins, inserting pins, testing.

We have a bunch of these in our sub-snakes and drive systems.  Mostly we love them.

But if the DB25 mating cycle will work for you, they're faster to build and commercially available.  You can buy CPC assemblies, too, but the price tag will reflect the build to order nature of them.  Rapco Horizon, CBI, almost all the suppliers that do special orders can make them for you.

Good luck and let us know what you end up doing.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2019, 11:49:49 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 22 queries.