ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Small Band-No Operator-2@4Bars-DMX on the Cheap to eliminate **green**  (Read 7997 times)

Jason Simonds

I have a small blues where I use 2 sets of ADJ 4bar LED's. All eight are addressable. I often daisy chain and slave on of them tot he other and use a 4-pedal foot controller.. we'll use red and blue to wash us and the stage from the front with the lights on their stands. We also use the Sound activated feature.

who the hell thought green was needed in these anyway!!.. .lol

I'd like to be able to retain the sound activated featuie of the lighting set, but tell it not to use green... my guess is that this is impossible withoout jumping through some huge hoops.

( of course what would be nice is  schmart software that can hear the song being played and just jump to the right file and run those lights cues based on the beat of the song... )

I am .. by $$ needs... shopping for a way to automate the lighting ... would like to find a dongle PC solution.. but I don;t want to climb the learning curve to learn I can't do what I want at the tightwad level...

Ideas?  Suggestions?

Josh Daws

its called learn to program a lighting show....

Len Zenith Jr

Chauvet Obey40 is an inexpensive controller that will do what you want (except the cue to the song based on the beat part).

Rob Gow

On my individual blizzard fixtures, I can turn off the green, 0 - 255 value. If its off, it overrides any control and doesn't light up green.

Steve Garris

its called learn to program a lighting show....

No need to be rude. I can fully understand his desire to have a footswitch or sound activated light show. Perhaps he's playing in the band and unable to work a standard controller. I'm a sound tech and I also do not want to use, or wire-up a controller.

To the OP, have you contacted ADJ? Sometimes all it takes is an email to their support with your specific requirement.

Len Zenith Jr

I'm pretty sure the 4 bars LED's are made by Chauvet, not ADJ

Simon Hutson

I have a similar setup, controlling ADJ Mega Tri Par LED lights from stage. I bought the ADJ LED Touch, which allows you to define your own chases, can control 6 different light addresses and has sound-to-light activation. I mount it on a mic stand shelf and can change chases as required.

The reason for buying this is that most other low cost units fade to black at some point in their chase sequences, whereas the ADJ LED Touch doesn't. The only downside is that it doesn't have any footswitch control.

Jason Simonds

Thanks to those that offer constructive thoughts...

I sing in the band and am about as busy as I want to be with that aspect... I need the lighting to be semi-automated... the Touch device sounds interesting... I really don;t see the point of chases operating without some sort of cuing from the music... do you guys really just run chases that change  not in beat to the music??

These are ADJ lights  4 of them on a bar... I have been running them for two years...

any other suggestions?

thanks

Jason Simonds

I bought the ADJ LED Touch, which allows you to define your own chases, can control 6 different light addresses and has sound-to-light activation. I mount it on a mic stand shelf and can change chases as required.

and it only controls 6 of my 8 lights.. :D   

the whole superior attitude from others is not needed... I've run lighting systems for theater, started and ran an ISP ... started and ran a PC company for too damn long... my whole situation is I don't WANT to learn the programming... I've read up on it, it isn;t that hard, but I work three jobs, and I have enough to do managing the band and singing, I haven't got time to twiddle on a system...

I want chases without green that are sound activated.. is that too dang much to ask for? .. lol... 

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC

the whole superior attitude from others is not needed... I've run lighting systems for theater, started and ran an ISP ... started and ran a PC company for too damn long... my whole situation is I don't WANT to learn the programming... I've read up on it, it isn;t that hard, but I work three jobs, and I have enough to do managing the band and singing, I haven't got time to twiddle on a system...

I want chases without green that are sound activated.. is that too dang much to ask for? .. lol...

If you did all those things you have certainly been in a forum before.  Nobody is going to tell you what buttons to push.  You have two choices pay someone to do it or learn the skill, money or time, for most the interchange freely.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Jason Simonds

If you did all those things you have certainly been in a forum before.  Nobody is going to tell you what buttons to push.  You have two choices pay someone to do it or learn the skill, money or time, for most the interchange freely.

Oh yes.. been in many a forum.. moderated many.. and in my experience,  . spent countess hours helping people over come some knowledge issues... that is what the Internet used to be based on.. sharing... not so much anymore, eh?

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC

Oh yes.. been in many a forum.. moderated many.. and in my experience,  . spent countess hours helping people over come some knowledge issues... that is what the Internet used to be based on.. sharing... not so much anymore, eh?

Sharing, yes indeed of course.   But think about it, you didn't really ask a question about programming and it sounds like you already know what you have to do.

Put some scenes together into a show.  I am a sound guy but occasionally have to touch a lighting board.  The concept is the same on all of them.  When you choose your color numbers don't use any with green in it.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Simon Hutson

The ADJ LED Touch has a built in mic for sound to light, which selects the next colour in the chase. It can support any number of lights, but only 6 addresses. I run 12 lights, 2 x 4 mounted on t-bars and 4 on the floor as drum uplighters. I set 4 lights to dmx address 001, 4 to dmx address 005 and 4 to dmx address 009, which means my chases have 3 different colours at any time.

Have a look at a very rough Youtube video I posted last year showing our lights and controller in situe http://youtu.be/2tAmzxNx0gs. Obviously I have green in my chases, but you get the idea. The controller is mounted on my mic stand (I too am a singer).

Josh Daws

yeah my superior attitude syndrome i guess can be considered rude...and im probably going to consider continuing it again...To be honest i really wasn't trying to be rude, its more hey, here is reality...SLAP!

basically mate you can't achieve what you looking to do without programming, aside from ripping out the green LED from every fixture. you can probably get however a midi foot pedal and hook it up into a laptop software and away you but you have to still program, and it won't be in sound active. if it is in sound active you fate is in the hand of the manufacturer in which case they will always put green in.

by the sounds of your experience you should know why they have green as a color. cos without it you don't have any of your yellows/oranges/cyans/light blues etc. green as a static looks horrible, but honestly, you might be busy, but so are the rest of us (generally)...

Cailen Waddell

I guess you could open the fixture up and see if there is a green lead from the led driver to the array... Snip and done.  No green. 

Otherwise if you have done really theater you know real programming with a real controller is required. 

Frankly, I hate watching bands with chasing lights.  If you aren't going to cue it out and make it good, pick one color a song and leave it there.  Since you don't like green that leaves, red, blue, and a couple shades of purple. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Simon Hutson

Frankly, I hate watching bands with chasing lights.  If you aren't going to cue it out and make it good, pick one color a song and leave it there.  Since you don't like green that leaves, red, blue, and a couple shades of purple.

That's exactly what our keyboard player said. We now either use a static colour per song or a slow fade chase  ;D

Jason Simonds

Chases only work for me if they are in time with the music... having random chases running ,.. is silly..

I work between static blue/red combos or the sound activated chases built into the bars... and that is where thew green comes in... yes.. we gotta have green tomake all the other colors... but straight green is some fugly...

Simon Hutson

Chases only work for me if they are in time with the music... having random chases running ,.. is silly..

I work between static blue/red combos or the sound activated chases built into the bars... and that is where thew green comes in... yes.. we gotta have green tomake all the other colors... but straight green is some fugly...

The video I posted is sound to light, using the built in microphone. Unfortunately it isn't very accurate.

Jason Simonds

Re: Small Band-No Operator-2@4Bars-DMX on the Cheap to eliminate **green**
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2014, 09:49:11 AM »

So..

The answer is...

Buy a cheap controller on Ebay for around $100 and hammer out the scenes and chases manually. It is the only way .

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2014, 10:58:34 AM »

I used to run  Chauvet 4Bar from an Obey 10. I could program it to ignore green and set that to either chase or sound activated…Is that what you mean? No footswitch but easy to operate.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Jason Simonds

« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2014, 11:30:05 AM »

I used to run  Chauvet 4Bar from an Obey 10. I could program it to ignore green and set that to either chase or sound activated…Is that what you mean? No footswitch but easy to operate.

It is...  I got a basic 384 slot controller... I've have eight lights .. 4 on each bar... I set up a diagram for aiming the lights, assigned them numbers per their own order..  and am setting up scenes for various uses and then will group them into chases for various stage situations.. no strobing.. yet... I have found that the controllers mic may not be sensitive to work well, but I have a mini stand monitor that I can point at it...

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2014, 01:09:31 PM »

It is...  I got a basic 384 slot controller... I've have eight lights .. 4 on each bar... I set up a diagram for aiming the lights, assigned them numbers per their own order..  and am setting up scenes for various uses and then will group them into chases for various stage situations.. no strobing.. yet... I have found that the controllers mic may not be sensitive to work well, but I have a mini stand monitor that I can point at it...

I like the fact you have put some thought into how to program your lights.
Many bar  bands round here  put a couple of trees up and let them chase quickly or sound to light with the sensitivity up too high. Either way it looks horrible. That might work for a DJ but not for band work.
You can get a nice show without too much cost or sophistication by keeping to nice slow fade chases as others have mentioned here and using STL very carefully or sparingly.
It is much more difficult to run lights from the stage than out front but if you work out what your lights can and will do,  plan your show and keep things simple, it can be done very efficiently without looking chintzy!!
BTW…I agree….green on its own looks horrible - unless it is a Halloween gig !!!
When I used the Obey 10, I kept green in the mix but would bleed in a small amount of blue or red which helped a lot.

A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2014, 01:09:31 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 22 queries.