ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Peak to RMS Ratio  (Read 15388 times)

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: Peak to RMS Ratio
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2014, 11:10:50 AM »

The average consumer is not buying these drivers from 18sound ;) .. they are buying completed boxes with every bit of spin the marketing department can get away with, and it seems to be getting worse.

Especially with some new products that don't have any specs-you are just supposed to "believe" that they will do the job.

At least that way the manufacturers don't have to be held to anything.

Here-drink this --------------------
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2014, 11:56:10 AM »

Especially with some new products that don't have any specs-you are just supposed to "believe" that they will do the job.

At least that way the manufacturers don't have to be held to anything.

Here-drink this --------------------

I have been following this exact issue for decades and it is not getting worse (probably), while there are always new wet behind the ears customers coming along, and new sales people who make faulty claims as much out of their own ignorance as bad intentions. In my decades of experience where I have even had to correct my own salespeople, I never found bad intent, just good intentions and a failure to understand the underlying physics. 

The unfortunate reality is that trying to apply (round) continuous sine wave specs to (square) varying music behavior is like the proverbial square pegs in round holes that don't fit neatly. Since marketers are forced to put those square pegs into round holes there will always be confusion and imperfect correlation to real life from using simple published data specs.

I do not see evil intentions from the majority, with only a minority of industry white knights who speak truth, but many businesses trying to survive by selling product to consumers who are never going to do the homework to fully understand complicated specs. These ignorant consumers reward products with specs presented in ways they "think" they understand.

This difficult hard to win situation is why forums like this are so valuable for the few customers who do want to understand and try to learn from the experts here. Over the decades I have found it impossible to educate every single customers before they make some bad purchase decisions out of ignorance. That is the unfortunate reality and harder for value brands than lower volume premium brands that begin with better educated customers and have more opportunity to explain details to them.

JR   
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Peter Morris

« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2014, 08:14:35 PM »

I have been following this exact issue for decades and it is not getting worse (probably), while there are always new wet behind the ears customers coming along, and new sales people who make faulty claims as much out of their own ignorance as bad intentions. In my decades of experience where I have even had to correct my own salespeople, I never found bad intent, just good intentions and a failure to understand the underlying physics. 

The unfortunate reality is that trying to apply (round) continuous sine wave specs to (square) varying music behavior is like the proverbial square pegs in round holes that don't fit neatly. Since marketers are forced to put those square pegs into round holes there will always be confusion and imperfect correlation to real life from using simple published data specs.

I do not see evil intentions from the majority, with only a minority of industry white knights who speak truth, but many businesses trying to survive by selling product to consumers who are never going to do the homework to fully understand complicated specs. These ignorant consumers reward products with specs presented in ways they "think" they understand.

This difficult hard to win situation is why forums like this are so valuable for the few customers who do want to understand and try to learn from the experts here. Over the decades I have found it impossible to educate every single customers before they make some bad purchase decisions out of ignorance. That is the unfortunate reality and harder for value brands than lower volume premium brands that begin with better educated customers and have more opportunity to explain details to them.

JR

“2500 Watt 2 Way 8" Powered Loudspeaker with KLARK TEKNIK DSP Technology, Speaker Modelling and ULTRANET Networking” This is how Turbosound describes what I think is a rebadged Behringer MI speaker, and then there is EV- “Yes 2000 watts is a lot of power” -  part of their description of a 10" two-way powered MI speaker.

I probably don't have to explain…. but if you read the fine print those specification are for the peak output of the amplifier which I suspect is correct, but limited according to which speaker they use it in … as you said, this is probably not from bad intent and I suspect both of these speakers for what they are, are excellent products, but I think what some Marketing departments are doing in 2014 is a little misleading.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2014, 08:14:35 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 22 queries.