ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Artnet software - free options.  (Read 18423 times)

Steve Garris

Re: Artnet software - free options.
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2014, 07:08:51 PM »

Hey Debbie - Do you have any follow on thoughts with regard to your artnet deployment?  Some sort of an overview of how you have things set up and what the strengths and weaknesses are?  I am just starting down this path myself but believe others would be interested in your experienced based insights.

I would be in a similar situation as you- that is ugrading the lights to enhance  my basic  "lounge" level audio services.  I think I am constructing the same general setup you have:

iPad > dedicated cheap 5gHz router
  > cat5 ethernet cable  >  DMXKing artnet box
      > DMX cable to DMX LED fixtures and DMX dimmers (hybrid system)

In my case I am leaning towards Luninaire because the other offerings seem to be more limited and I only want to learn one software. 

There still seems to be not much "how to" info on this approach here in cyberspace.

Or if it is better for you just PM me.

I'm curious too, if you should send out any pm's.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2014, 08:19:45 PM »

If I write my comment here, it might help others.

I finally purchased Luminair because nothing else worked for me - either too many bugs or simply too restrictive. I tried a few inexpensive and free programs but I suppose you get what you pay for in the end. Scott and the other folks here were right!!!

I use Luminair, Enttec art net dongle and an old Linksys router. I used to set everything up each gig but that got old real quick so now I have everything placed in a carry case with foam cut outs, I have my 2 walwarts plugged into a small 4 way extension in the case and I have a 5pin to 3pin DMX adaptor permanently connected to the dongle. I just open up the case, attach the mains cord for power and the DMX cable to first fixture to the dongle adaptor - done.
This makes things much easier and quicker. I am using 6 Blizzard Q12s which are very bright so I don't need as many. I used to use Chauvet Slimpars but I had to use 8 and even then they weren't bright enough.
I use my iPad mini to control the lights because I use my iPad standard for sound mixing. It works brilliantly !!! I must admit I get quite a kick out of iPad mixing and iPad light mixing at the same time.
I had one gig recently where for some reason there was a slight latency in response but other than that - no problems. I've not had drop out yet even when I've lost connection on the sound.

I have a few other lights - even moving heads - I can use when time and space permits so I have programs written to include them also but mainly I use the Blizzards.

I set the lights to a slow chase so that if I need to concentrate on sound for a while, I can but I do like to use blackout at the end of each song and bring up a low white light in between songs. Then I hit a bright color on the song count. I also use a fast chase for solos and even a strobe for effect sometimes ( careful not to blind everyone)It  looks really good and it so easy to do.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Steve Garris

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2014, 06:58:07 PM »

I set the lights to a slow chase so that if I need to concentrate on sound for a while, I can but I do like to use blackout at the end of each song and bring up a low white light in between songs. Then I hit a bright color on the song count. I also use a fast chase for solos and even a strobe for effect sometimes ( careful not to blind everyone)It  looks really good and it so easy to do.

Nice job Debbie! I can tell you run your lights the same way I do (or try to do). I mix on an iPad as well, and I envision setting up Luminair in a similar fashion. Right now I just use simple on/off remotes, and my lights are set for sound activation. But a real good light show has backlighting that goes dark when the song ends, with a dim wash across the front between songs. And a fast chase during a solo is good. I don't like blinders at all. And then there are the mood colors to think about - sad or slow songs get blue's, purples & greens, exciting or upbeat see's yellows,reds and amber's. Most don't seem to pay attention to this any more - at least at our club level.

I'd love to see your production - lights & sound, especially with the movers.

Have you thought about making your DMX wireless (see the other thread)?

Rob Gow

« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2014, 09:56:54 AM »

I control DMXIS via iPad using TouchOSC. It lets you create your own interface, and then define it to run the program. Here's my main page, I've organized my scenes into banks of 25. The dimmers for each bank of lights are on the right hand side, and some buttons on the bottom. The haze button is on and off, the rest are momentary.

Then page 2 I can control the color of the different fixtures:

Here's a basic video. Old light rig it's changed since then...

http://youtu.be/9Ty5ZEu5LPA

My band:
http://youtu.be/ytGoHuFN4KA
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 10:09:46 AM by Rob Gow »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2014, 09:56:54 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 25 queries.