ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Artnet software - free options.  (Read 14569 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Artnet software - free options.
« on: July 11, 2014, 11:06:04 am »

I decided to go wifi wireless and just purchased the Enttec art net node to use with my router.
Checking out software programs, I was going to download Luminair -and still may do so - but it seems that there are so many features to the software that would go unused for my requirements so I am looking at other options for now.

I run sound for my husbands band and a couple of other local bands when he is not playing.
I have been using the iPad to mix more and more since I purchased the A & H QU16 because of the restrictions made in bars round here regarding running multicore and space restrictions.
I had been running lights as an added feature (I enjoy running them) with either a Chauvet Obey 10 or macbook running QLC until I went wireless with the sound.
I keep things very simple - no moving lights or effects - just washes at the front to light up the stage , light tree at the back for some color and set to chase, a few fast running sequences for solos etc and then I would manually blackout between songs.

So going wireless made sense so I can run sound from my iPad and lights from my iPad mini. Recently I have only been able to set up the lights for white light or continuous slow chase without being able to use the controller so I needed to do this.

Checking out the availability of software apps, I thought there would be more to choose from but a lot of the apps out there are to be used as remotes for other programs on the macbook. I wanted a stand alone controller -ipad only.

I have found 4 apps that will work. Luminar -$79.99, Lightingpad- $19.99, ArtNEtDmxRemote - free and Osram DMX WiFi Controller - free.
(I may still purchase Luminair but right now I have avoided doing so and I am enjoying playing with the free programs).

The one app called ArtNetDmxRemote works fairly well.  It found the Enttec immediately and was plug and play. However, it is extremely basic - even for my needs but fun to have on my phone as a back up. You cannot program scenes, just hit buttons for each channel (only 12).  Also, I wrote to the developer (twice) with a question regarding a $3.99 upgrade they offer because they give no details other than offering more channels,  but I never heard back.

The Osram app………….I had to change the IP address of the Enttec to make it work- apparently the other program did not require this -something to do with global settings????.
It is closer to what I need, the ability to program 30 scenes, fade/scene duration options etc but there were some things not quite right - loss of stored scenes at program close unless using double click,  slight response delay when scene selected, no blackout button on stored scene page, no master fader and some others. On the app settings page, there was a 'limited email support' address so I figured I'd contact the developer with some of my questions -I figured I had nothing to lose…..

Remember this is a free app.

To my surprise, this guy - John Selverian Phd has been totally responsive and helpful spending quite some time going back and forth with me on some of these issues. He has already sent updates to apple to make improvements to the app and continues to consider all my suggestions. It has been quite an interesting process and I love this kind of stuff so well worth spending the time.
Obviously he wants to be able to perfect the app so the company can start charging for it and he is going about things the right way.

Just wanted to throw this out there to give the guy a bit of a shout out for being so on top of things and of course to help out anyone wanting to dabble a bit before spending any money on software…..

A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Steve Garris

Re: Artnet software - free options.
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 04:50:58 pm »

I decided to go wifi wireless and just purchased the Enttec art net node to use with my router.
Checking out software programs, I was going to download Luminair -and still may do so - but it seems that there are so many features to the software that would go unused for my requirements so I am looking at other options for now.

I run sound for my husbands band and a couple of other local bands when he is not playing.
I have been using the iPad to mix more and more since I purchased the A & H QU16 because of the restrictions made in bars round here regarding running multicore and space restrictions.
I had been running lights as an added feature (I enjoy running them) with either a Chauvet Obey 10 or macbook running QLC until I went wireless with the sound.
I keep things very simple - no moving lights or effects - just washes at the front to light up the stage , light tree at the back for some color and set to chase, a few fast running sequences for solos etc and then I would manually blackout between songs.

So going wireless made sense so I can run sound from my iPad and lights from my iPad mini. Recently I have only been able to set up the lights for white light or continuous slow chase without being able to use the controller so I needed to do this.

Checking out the availability of software apps, I thought there would be more to choose from but a lot of the apps out there are to be used as remotes for other programs on the macbook. I wanted a stand alone controller -ipad only.

I have found 4 apps that will work. Luminar -$79.99, Lightingpad- $19.99, ArtNEtDmxRemote - free and Osram DMX WiFi Controller - free.
(I may still purchase Luminair but right now I have avoided doing so and I am enjoying playing with the free programs).

The one app called ArtNetDmxRemote works fairly well.  It found the Enttec immediately and was plug and play. However, it is extremely basic - even for my needs but fun to have on my phone as a back up. You cannot program scenes, just hit buttons for each channel (only 12).  Also, I wrote to the developer (twice) with a question regarding a $3.99 upgrade they offer because they give no details other than offering more channels,  but I never heard back.

The Osram app………….I had to change the IP address of the Enttec to make it work- apparently the other program did not require this -something to do with global settings????.
It is closer to what I need, the ability to program 30 scenes, fade/scene duration options etc but there were some things not quite right - loss of stored scenes at program close unless using double click,  slight response delay when scene selected, no blackout button on stored scene page, no master fader and some others. On the app settings page, there was a 'limited email support' address so I figured I'd contact the developer with some of my questions -I figured I had nothing to lose…..

Remember this is a free app.

To my surprise, this guy - John Selverian Phd has been totally responsive and helpful spending quite some time going back and forth with me on some of these issues. He has already sent updates to apple to make improvements to the app and continues to consider all my suggestions. It has been quite an interesting process and I love this kind of stuff so well worth spending the time.
Obviously he wants to be able to perfect the app so the company can start charging for it and he is going about things the right way.

Just wanted to throw this out there to give the guy a bit of a shout out for being so on top of things and of course to help out anyone wanting to dabble a bit before spending any money on software…..

I would gladly pay for a good software program to run lights with an iPad. I am really surprised that none of these lighting companies have a "Light Show in a box", that can be easily set up to switch between a few programmed scenes, chases and blackout. My needs are very simple, but even using Luminaire I'm not sure I'd get what I want.

I purchased a remote for my ADJ lightbar, which has buttons for the solid colors (RBGA). They even have a video showing a guy with the remote, and when he uses those buttons you can't see what he is doing. Well that is because those buttons require you to deactivate the previous color, then using the up/down arrows you set the intensity. So this is not on the fly - useless in my opinion.

My new plan for now is to have all my LED lights set to run on sound activate mode, and simlpy turn them off or on with a RF receptacle remote like this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0064PKG3Q/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If someone ever does produce a really good iPad light controller, I would be thrilled with the following options for playback:
8-16 buttons for pre-programmed scenes. When you push a new button, the currently active scene goes off.
8 buttons of pre-programmed chase
1 Slider for fade rate of scenes
1 Master Slider

Jeeze - that's not really asking that much!

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 05:21:24 pm »

If someone ever does produce a really good iPad light controller, I would be thrilled with the following options for playback:
8-16 buttons for pre-programmed scenes. When you push a new button, the currently active scene goes off.
1 Master Slider

Well I made an iOS app for a school project last fall as my senior project in college. I might take a look at making such an app. No guarantees though... The UI would be pretty simple and providing I can figure out how to interface with ArtNet I might can make it work without too much trouble; I've been trying to find a programing project to spend a little time on.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 05:31:21 pm »

I would gladly pay for a good software program to run lights with an iPad. I am really surprised that none of these lighting companies have a "Light Show in a box", that can be easily set up to switch between a few programmed scenes, chases and blackout. My needs are very simple, but even using Luminaire I'm not sure I'd get what I want.

I purchased a remote for my ADJ lightbar, which has buttons for the solid colors (RBGA). They even have a video showing a guy with the remote, and when he uses those buttons you can't see what he is doing. Well that is because those buttons require you to deactivate the previous color, then using the up/down arrows you set the intensity. So this is not on the fly - useless in my opinion.

My new plan for now is to have all my LED lights set to run on sound activate mode, and simlpy turn them off or on with a RF receptacle remote like this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0064PKG3Q/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 Master Slider

Ah ha…so its not just me then !!! I don't understand why this simple requirement is not well supported. I agree I would pay happily for an iPad app suited to a nice simple playback flow.
I also found that there are very few players out there when it comes to  affordable artnet adapters.  Enttec seems to have the corner on the market. There are a couple of units made in and shipped from China. Other than that - not much out there and not all 'plug and play'.
Well I made an iOS app for a school project last fall as my senior project in college. I might take a look at making such an app. No guarantees though... The UI would be pretty simple and providing I can figure out how to interface with ArtNet I might can make it work without too much trouble; I've been trying to find a programing project to spend a little time on.

Now you're talking - go for it….I'd try it out !!! Seriously, there must be some money to be made here?
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2014, 06:43:38 pm »

1 Master Slider

Oh yes….good idea on the remote switches….simple but effective !

Scott Carneval

• Cenero Audio Visual
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2014, 03:03:01 pm »

1 Master Slider

Luminair does all of that and then some. 

You can add dozens of scenes - there may not even be a limit, I'm not sure
Chases would be accomplished with 'stacks' mode.  You can add as many scenes as you'd like to a 'stack'.  Stacks can be sound active or time based chases with adjustable fade time as well. 
There is no slider for the fade rate of stacks, but you can tap the tempo in manually to change it, or you can build multiple versions of the same stack with different fade rates.
There is a master fader as well as a master blackout. 

In my opinion it doesn't get any simpler or better for under $400.  The app is $99 and the Enttec interface is about $260. 

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2014, 03:46:44 pm »

Chases would be accomplished with 'stacks' mode.  You can add as many scenes as you'd like to a 'stack'.  Stacks can be sound active or time based chases with adjustable fade time as well. 
There is no slider for the fade rate of stacks, but you can tap the tempo in manually to change it, or you can build multiple versions of the same stack with different fade rates.

In my opinion it doesn't get any simpler or better for under $400.  The app is $99 and the Enttec interface is about $260.

I should at least give it a try I suppose….just didn't want to spend $99 ($79 for the iPad)  and hardly use any of the functionality of the program. I wish there was a free trial or something and that way I could give it a try...

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2014, 04:21:48 pm »

I should at least give it a try I suppose….just didn't want to spend $99 ($79 for the iPad)  and hardly use any of the functionality of the program. I wish there was a free trial or something and that way I could give it a try...
Yeah, Apple really needs to implement some kind of trial system for apps. On Android you can get a refund for an app if want up to 15 minutes after purchase. Not a lot of time but it is enough to see if something works for you well enough to buy. I would think that Apple could very easily implement some kind of 30 minute app test drive feature that app developers could turn on. It would be very good for expensive apps; it would also be great on the Mac App Store. :-)

Sent from my Moto X (XT1053) using Tapatalk

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2014, 09:32:18 am »

Yeah, Apple really needs to implement some kind of trial system for apps. On Android you can get a refund for an app if want up to 15 minutes after purchase. Not a lot of time but it is enough to see if something works for you well enough to buy. I would think that Apple could very easily implement some kind of 30 minute app test drive feature that app developers could turn on. It would be very good for expensive apps; it would also be great on the Mac App Store. :-)

Sent from my Moto X (XT1053) using Tapatalk

That makes so much sense to me and I bet it would translate into many more app sales in the long run. especially to those folks unsure like me.

Anyway….I test drove one of the free apps last night and although it was basic, I had a blast!!! No problems with the wi-fi.
I used a separate router than the one I use for my QU16 as I had read somewhere that it would be best not putting sound and lights through the same router. Didn't want to take the risk of using the same one (don't know enough about it) and used an old Linksys that I had from years ago . 
The band thought it was the coolest thing and so did many of the audience members.

Steve Garris

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2014, 01:50:43 pm »

That makes so much sense to me and I bet it would translate into many more app sales in the long run. especially to those folks unsure like me.

Anyway….I test drove one of the free apps last night and although it was basic, I had a blast!!! No problems with the wi-fi.
I used a separate router than the one I use for my QU16 as I had read somewhere that it would be best not putting sound and lights through the same router. Didn't want to take the risk of using the same one (don't know enough about it) and used an old Linksys that I had from years ago . 
The band thought it was the coolest thing and so did many of the audience members.

Good to hear - keep us posted. I'd be interested in hearing what lights you use as well.

Steve Garris

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2014, 01:54:17 pm »

That's good to know. I've looked at dozens of videos on people using Luminaire but I don't fully understand a lot of the terminology used in the manual. The videos typically show someone changing colors of a single light, but I don't recall anyone running a band style light show.

Steve Garris

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2014, 02:18:26 pm »

Oh yes….good idea on the remote switches….simple but effective !

I used them for the first time on Friday night. It worked surprisingly well, but I had some major disappointment with some of my new lights. I have Blizzard Hotboxes RGBAW, and the sound active mode is too sensitive, so they just flash white like a strobe. The lights produce beautiful full colors, but only when manually controlled. They are useless in sound mode for my application.

Here's what worked well:
For my front wash I have 2 Par 38 cans mounted on the fly points of my PRX tops. These have a 70w halogen bulb that is brighter than the stock 140w flood that came with them. They have a 60 deg beam spread, and I'm using a very light salmon colored gel (sorry, can't remember the Rosco color). They are on one circuit of the remote, and we're instantly on or off when I pushed the button.

We had 2 trees of 4 colored par 38's as a side wash. These were a nice splash of color for the stage. I had these on the 2nd circuit and they were on or off like the front wash.

The backlighting was a large tree with an ADJ mega bar RBGA, and 2 Blizzard Hotbox RBGAW. The mega bar worked great, and I have a remote for it that allows limited adjustments. I can change the sound active sensitivity, blackout, or solid colors, but to change the solid colors requires several button pushes and does not work on the fly. I found the best use of the mega bar was to just turn it off or on with my other remote and leave it on sound active mode.

I'll probably sell the Blizzards and get some ADJ lights to replace them. Once I have one bar figured out, I'll make a duplicate bar, and set them up in master/slave mode so that the show is symmetrical.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2014, 02:45:25 pm »

Good to hear - keep us posted. I'd be interested in hearing what lights you use as well.

Right now I am upgrading my lights and have some comments on a separate post. 

I have been using some Slimpar 64s but they do not really shed enough light for me - only on small stages. . I tried out a single ADJ Mega Par64 last night along with mine and it really shed a lot more light than mine did. I have a 15 day return policy on it so I will trying it out along with the 3 others I picked up yesterday (didn't have time to set the other 3 up for the gig last night)
However, I have ordered a Blizzard Q12 online because I cannot find one locally because I have read some amazing reviews on them and can get them at a decent price.
It is supposed to be extremely bright so I'll be testing it against the ADJ Mega par and my Slim par 64 to get a good idea of what I want. I only need a nice wash of lights to light up the stage for band use. Nothing fancy.

I use a Chauvet 4 bar behind the drummer for some color on stage and my 2 trees at the front to light up the band each one with the 4 slim pars. Like I say - really simple. I have a Chauvet 4 play which I sometimes use attached to one of the front light trees and aimed at the dance floor.  Nice to use as an effect and I picked it up cheap.

My problem is always time constraints and by the time I have my PA set up and the band is sound checked, the lights get very little prep time  so I have no choice but to keep things simple and find fast methods. I'd love a couple of moving heads but it would be overkill for my needs probably...

Josh Daws

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2014, 10:16:27 pm »

debbie take a look at the Chauvet SlimPar QUAD6...these are amazing...bright, and you can diffuse it too if ya wanna get fancy....lol

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2014, 11:30:46 pm »

debbie take a look at the Chauvet SlimPar QUAD6...these are amazing...bright, and you can diffuse it too if ya wanna get fancy....lol

Thanks Josh, I had read about the Chauvet Quads in my research travels recently and the reviews were good.

I'd love to be able to look at more options and compare them but it is so tough to get to check out even some of the more common models locally.
The ADJ's were about the best I could find round here and I have had to order the Blizzard online to get to check it out. That is why I only ordered the one for now due to the restocking fee ( and return shipping) if I decide I don't like it.

Unless I can find someone locally using some of these other models suggested, I have no choice but to decide on either keeping the ADJ's or returning and ordering 3 more Blizzards ( or settling on a combination of the 2 brands).
I am also considering only selling 4 of my Slim Pars and keeping 4 to use with those I upgrade to. Bit more light and wash effect overall.

Josh Daws

« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2014, 06:11:19 pm »

TBH i understand exactly where you're coming from...but in the abuse and travelling i have done with them, the 80 something i have have been super reliable and great color. and flicker free on video! :), its worth the risk.

80 seems like a lot but when you build 16 4x4 cages and a bunch of 4 bars, it adds up really quickly.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2014, 10:38:58 pm »

I used them for the first time on Friday night. It worked surprisingly well, but I had some major disappointment with some of my new lights. I have Blizzard Hotboxes RGBAW, and the sound active mode is too sensitive, so they just flash white like a strobe. The lights produce beautiful full colors, but only when manually controlled. They are useless in sound mode for my application.

Here's what worked well:
For my front wash I have 2 Par 38 cans mounted on the fly points of my PRX tops. These have a 70w halogen bulb that is brighter than the stock 140w flood that came with them. They have a 60 deg beam spread, and I'm using a very light salmon colored gel (sorry, can't remember the Rosco color). They are on one circuit of the remote, and we're instantly on or off when I pushed the button.

We had 2 trees of 4 colored par 38's as a side wash. These were a nice splash of color for the stage. I had these on the 2nd circuit and they were on or off like the front wash.

The backlighting was a large tree with an ADJ mega bar RBGA, and 2 Blizzard Hotbox RBGAW. The mega bar worked great, and I have a remote for it that allows limited adjustments. I can change the sound active sensitivity, blackout, or solid colors, but to change the solid colors requires several button pushes and does not work on the fly. I found the best use of the mega bar was to just turn it off or on with my other remote and leave it on sound active mode.

I'll probably sell the Blizzards and get some ADJ lights to replace them. Once I have one bar figured out, I'll make a duplicate bar, and set them up in master/slave mode so that the show is symmetrical.

Sounds like you have a nice
 set up - not too much but enough to get a good show going….You have  more than I'll probably use though . I don't want to get too much into lights - they take far too long to set up with little prep time as it is. More power to you though - I am intrigued by moving heads though …..

Josh Daws

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2014, 07:41:03 am »

Sounds like you have a nice
 set up - not too much but enough to get a good show going….You have  more than I'll probably use though . I don't want to get too much into lights - they take far too long to set up with little prep time as it is. More power to you though - I am intrigued by moving heads though …..

moving heads are awesome...don't get the ADJ/Chauvet type quality fixtures...go with the Martin Rush, or some of the elation product...but for the same price for the ADJ/Chauvet equivalent you can get the Martin Rush Product..

however i know that you were looking at an ArtNET product specifically, but really IMO only really commonly used for video triggering. unless you are doing this its not really worth getting this. you can still get the ENTTEC OPEN DMX USB and then use MArtin MPC as control, and still use your iPAD/iPHONE as control using Touch OSC. obviously you would need a wireless router with this...

anyways just some other of my opinions and thoughts....

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2014, 11:16:35 pm »

moving heads are awesome...don't get the ADJ/Chauvet type quality fixtures...go with the Martin Rush, or some of the elation product...but for the same price for the ADJ/Chauvet equivalent you can get the Martin Rush Product..

however i know that you were looking at an ArtNET product specifically, but really IMO only really commonly used for video triggering. unless you are doing this its not really worth getting this. you can still get the ENTTEC OPEN DMX USB and then use MArtin MPC as control, and still use your iPAD/iPHONE as control using Touch OSC. obviously you would need a wireless router with this...

anyways just some other of my opinions and thoughts....

Id really like a couple but not just yet…thanks for the heads-up on brand.

Mike Karseboom

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2014, 12:54:37 pm »

Hey Debbie - Do you have any follow on thoughts with regard to your artnet deployment?  Some sort of an overview of how you have things set up and what the strengths and weaknesses are?  I am just starting down this path myself but believe others would be interested in your experienced based insights.

I would be in a similar situation as you- that is ugrading the lights to enhance  my basic  "lounge" level audio services.  I think I am constructing the same general setup you have:

iPad > dedicated cheap 5gHz router
  > cat5 ethernet cable  >  DMXKing artnet box
      > DMX cable to DMX LED fixtures and DMX dimmers (hybrid system)

In my case I am leaning towards Luninaire because the other offerings seem to be more limited and I only want to learn one software. 

There still seems to be not much "how to" info on this approach here in cyberspace.

Or if it is better for you just PM me.
--Mike
"If you're not confused, you don't know what is going on"

Live Sound for the Mt. Shasta area
http://www.shastalivesound.com

Steve Garris

« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2014, 07:08:51 pm »

Hey Debbie - Do you have any follow on thoughts with regard to your artnet deployment?  Some sort of an overview of how you have things set up and what the strengths and weaknesses are?  I am just starting down this path myself but believe others would be interested in your experienced based insights.

I would be in a similar situation as you- that is ugrading the lights to enhance  my basic  "lounge" level audio services.  I think I am constructing the same general setup you have:

iPad > dedicated cheap 5gHz router
  > cat5 ethernet cable  >  DMXKing artnet box
      > DMX cable to DMX LED fixtures and DMX dimmers (hybrid system)

In my case I am leaning towards Luninaire because the other offerings seem to be more limited and I only want to learn one software. 

There still seems to be not much "how to" info on this approach here in cyberspace.

Or if it is better for you just PM me.

I'm curious too, if you should send out any pm's.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2014, 08:19:45 pm »

If I write my comment here, it might help others.

I finally purchased Luminair because nothing else worked for me - either too many bugs or simply too restrictive. I tried a few inexpensive and free programs but I suppose you get what you pay for in the end. Scott and the other folks here were right!!!

I use Luminair, Enttec art net dongle and an old Linksys router. I used to set everything up each gig but that got old real quick so now I have everything placed in a carry case with foam cut outs, I have my 2 walwarts plugged into a small 4 way extension in the case and I have a 5pin to 3pin DMX adaptor permanently connected to the dongle. I just open up the case, attach the mains cord for power and the DMX cable to first fixture to the dongle adaptor - done.
This makes things much easier and quicker. I am using 6 Blizzard Q12s which are very bright so I don't need as many. I used to use Chauvet Slimpars but I had to use 8 and even then they weren't bright enough.
I use my iPad mini to control the lights because I use my iPad standard for sound mixing. It works brilliantly !!! I must admit I get quite a kick out of iPad mixing and iPad light mixing at the same time.
I had one gig recently where for some reason there was a slight latency in response but other than that - no problems. I've not had drop out yet even when I've lost connection on the sound.

I have a few other lights - even moving heads - I can use when time and space permits so I have programs written to include them also but mainly I use the Blizzards.

I set the lights to a slow chase so that if I need to concentrate on sound for a while, I can but I do like to use blackout at the end of each song and bring up a low white light in between songs. Then I hit a bright color on the song count. I also use a fast chase for solos and even a strobe for effect sometimes ( careful not to blind everyone)It  looks really good and it so easy to do.

Steve Garris

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2014, 06:58:07 pm »

I set the lights to a slow chase so that if I need to concentrate on sound for a while, I can but I do like to use blackout at the end of each song and bring up a low white light in between songs. Then I hit a bright color on the song count. I also use a fast chase for solos and even a strobe for effect sometimes ( careful not to blind everyone)It  looks really good and it so easy to do.

Nice job Debbie! I can tell you run your lights the same way I do (or try to do). I mix on an iPad as well, and I envision setting up Luminair in a similar fashion. Right now I just use simple on/off remotes, and my lights are set for sound activation. But a real good light show has backlighting that goes dark when the song ends, with a dim wash across the front between songs. And a fast chase during a solo is good. I don't like blinders at all. And then there are the mood colors to think about - sad or slow songs get blue's, purples & greens, exciting or upbeat see's yellows,reds and amber's. Most don't seem to pay attention to this any more - at least at our club level.

I'd love to see your production - lights & sound, especially with the movers.

Have you thought about making your DMX wireless (see the other thread)?

Rob Gow

« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2014, 09:56:54 am »

I control DMXIS via iPad using TouchOSC. It lets you create your own interface, and then define it to run the program. Here's my main page, I've organized my scenes into banks of 25. The dimmers for each bank of lights are on the right hand side, and some buttons on the bottom. The haze button is on and off, the rest are momentary.

Then page 2 I can control the color of the different fixtures:

Here's a basic video. Old light rig it's changed since then...

http://youtu.be/9Ty5ZEu5LPA

My band:
http://youtu.be/ytGoHuFN4KA
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 10:09:46 am by Rob Gow »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2014, 09:56:54 am »

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 24 queries.