ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Quick question for Yam QL5 owners  (Read 2755 times)

Karsten Pedersen

Quick question for Yam QL5 owners
« on: July 14, 2014, 08:18:25 AM »

Trying to clear something up before I buy one of these desks.

In the LS9-32 (the desk I have now) I only have 8 rackspaces in total. These can be devided between effects and EQs. But once those 8 racks are filled - thats it... No more processing.

Am I right in assuming that in the QL5 desk I have 8 slots for EQs AND 8 slots for effects AND 8 slots for premium effekcts - 24 racks in total? I know some of the premium slots take up two spaces.

I've read the manual - but its actually not 100% clear on this. So I thought I'd check with anyone that has actually had hands on experience with one of these desks.

This is the main question of my post, but feel free to chime in with other stuff regarding differecies between the LS9 and QL5. Audioquality, ipad app, hardware feel, ease of use when multitracking to a computer etc.

Best regards
Karsten Pedersen
Denmark

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
Re: Quick question for Yam QL5 owners
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 08:34:47 AM »

Yes, the QL5 has as many as 16 Flex Graphic EQs or eight full EQs in the graphics rack plus the effects processors plus the premium rack processors.  Lots of DSP.  Note that if you plan use the Dugan auto mix function the eight channel version eats half of the graphics and the 16 channel version uses ALL of the graphic EQ slots in the graphic rack.  The effects processor slots however can be switched to graphic EQs as well so in the end you can have up to 16 full graphics or 32 flex graphics.

Also note, if you are planning to utilize the "port to port" function advertised in the brochure and outlined in the user manual, that function is still a firmware upgrade or two away from actually working apparently.  The QL appears as an "unsupported device" in the CL consoles' dante patch screen.

Other than that it appears to be pretty much the same software as the CL consoles right down to the QL editor app being able to open CL files directly.  This is based on only a weeks experience with them so others will likely have more input. From the small amount of time I've spent with the boards ( a QL1 and a QL5 ) they sound like the CL5 we have had for a year and that is a noticeably better sound than the LS9s, M7 or even the PM5.

Trying to clear something up before I buy one of these desks.

In the LS9-32 (the desk I have now) I only have 8 rackspaces in total. These can be devided between effects and EQs. But once those 8 racks are filled - thats it... No more processing.

Am I right in assuming that in the QL5 desk I have 8 slots for EQs AND 8 slots for effects AND 8 slots for premium effekcts - 24 racks in total? I know some of the premium slots take up two spaces.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 08:46:24 AM by Riley Casey »

Josh Hana

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 10:04:44 AM »

+1 to everything above.
We haven't really used the QL5 for much yet as we're in the summer lull here in Miami, but I do really like the console. With just the touchscreen and scribble strips, it's a huge upgrade over the LS9 in terms of mixing and workflow. Not to mention Dante which makes multitracking a breeze.

Karsten Pedersen

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 05:24:43 AM »

Thanks for the info guys - much appreciated. Do you know if iPad app runs better on the QL consoles than the LS9? I've never been impressed with the LS9 app - too much lag.

Some of the new features that makes me upgrade:
  • Better audioquality
  • Normal channels can now be sent to matrix (which means 24 aux sends)
  • Assignable softknobs at the bottom of the screen
  • Channel inserts now via HA and omni outs
  • Premium effects
  • Vastly improoved rackspaces
  • Now with a "real" de-esser instead of that weird bandpass one in the LS9

I think I'll pull the trigger on a QL5 and a RIO 3224 box today.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 11:27:40 AM »

Thanks for the info guys - much appreciated. Do you know if iPad app runs better on the QL consoles than the LS9? I've never been impressed with the LS9 app - too much lag.

I think I'll pull the trigger on a QL5 and a RIO 3224 box today.

Really? I find Stagemix for my LS9 to be very responsive and a pleasure to use.

What iPad do you use and how is your network set up?

I wish the GLD remote was as snappy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 11:27:40 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 25 queries.