ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggestions for a looper.  (Read 7334 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Suggestions for a looper.
« on: July 06, 2014, 10:32:14 PM »

A few of the local 4 piece bands are using loopers to get keyboard/synth sounds to use without using a keyboard player.
They work well if used sparingly - i.e. for piano intros etc.  There is just no money to be made round here and it keeps the body count down a little.
It would have to store the music piece of course. I already own the Voicelive 2 but it cannot store the information - everything has to be recorded each time it is turned on.

I'd run it from the board...Does anyone have any recommendations ?
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
Re: Suggestions for a looper.
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 10:39:58 PM »

Debbie,
At your level it's not your job, or should it be your expense to supplement the bands backline UNLESS you're paid for it. It would have been a happy day if someone paid for the last $2K sound module I bought.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2014, 10:52:46 PM »

Debbie,
At your level it's not your job, or should it be your expense to supplement the bands backline UNLESS you're paid for it. It would have been a happy day if someone paid for the last $2K sound module I bought.

Bless your heart Bob for caring !!! Thank you….

However, I have a bit more of a vested interest in this piece of equipment as it will be supplementing hubby's band. 4 musicians with a nice tight sound but 3 or 4 songs that although they play them really well, they could be made a whole lot better by introducing  some keyboard intro's. It would just be intros mainly as they do not want to go down that 'click track' road and they still want to sound as 'live' as possible!!!

And you know I LOVE this stuff !!

BTW…what was the sound module you bought???
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 09:25:04 AM »

Ed Sheeran  uses a looper on his pedal board to do his guitar in multiple layers. 

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/pop-shop/6128719/ed-sheeran-new-im-a-mess-listen-song

Running a Midi keyboard utility on a laptop with output into a mixer would work well also. 

Something Like ???
http://www.noteworthysoftware.com/player/

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2014, 10:39:11 AM »

Ed Sheeran  uses a looper on his pedal board to do his guitar in multiple layers. 

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/pop-shop/6128719/ed-sheeran-new-im-a-mess-listen-song

Running a Midi keyboard utility on a laptop with output into a mixer would work well also. 

Something Like ???
http://www.noteworthysoftware.com/player/

Thanks Jerome. Im trying to leave the macbook at home. I have taken it out and used GB for some music parts in the past but id rather leave it at home now. i figured the looper would fit the bill. It would need to be the recording type that stores the info - not the standard looper pedal that has to be 'fed' each time it is used.

I see one  listed by Electro-Harmonix but it is a bit pricey. I might have to spend that kind of money though to get what I need…..

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2014, 11:25:35 AM »

Debbie,

I agree Bob. That was my first reaction. Not a model for most.  Not a moneymaker. But Debbie and hubby benefit from this expenditure - and Debbie will be one VERY versatile and experienced soundperson when the BIG opportunity comes around.

'Till then, Go get 'em, Debbie!

frank

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2014, 11:58:23 AM »

How about a sampler like the Roland SP-404SX. http://www.rolandus.com/products/details/1038 I used to have an SP303 and sold it and upgraded to the SP-404SX. I use it to play back sound effects. If you edit the material you want to playback so there is no gap at the beginning it plays instantly. It will also play back 12 mono or 6 stereo pads at once or layered. This thing has a lot of capability but is very easy to use in my opinion. I load up the samples I need to use on SD card with my computer. The SP404 wav converter program makes it very easy. I don’t know if that is PC only or if there is also a Mac version.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2014, 12:37:40 PM »

I agree Bob. That was my first reaction. Not a model for most.  Not a moneymaker. But Debbie and hubby benefit from this expenditure - and Debbie will be one VERY versatile and experienced soundperson when the BIG opportunity comes around.

'Till then, Go get 'em, Debbie!

frank

YEAH….that's just what I was thinking  ;D

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2014, 12:47:31 PM »

How about a sampler like the Roland SP-404SX. http://www.rolandus.com/products/details/1038 I used to have an SP303 and sold it and upgraded to the SP-404SX. I use it to play back sound effects. If you edit the material you want to playback so there is no gap at the beginning it plays instantly. It will also play back 12 mono or 6 stereo pads at once or layered. This thing has a lot of capability but is very easy to use in my opinion. I load up the samples I need to use on SD card with my computer. The SP404 wav converter program makes it very easy. I don’t know if that is PC only or if there is also a Mac version.

I just watched a YouTube video on the SP-404SX. Great machine - just too much machine for my needs really. I could have a lot of fun with one though !!

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2014, 12:50:50 PM »

Jerome PM me and suggested simply using an iPod. Ironically, I had considered that but not seriously. It almost seems too easy….Am I over thinking this???

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2014, 12:50:50 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 25 queries.