ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Low End Digital Boards, looking for all opinions  (Read 23651 times)

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
Re: Low End Digital Boards, looking for all opinions
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2014, 01:47:50 AM »

But I only drive a couple blocks to the corner store and back

Then you should walk!!

Steve.

Robert Piascik

• Westerville, OH (near Columbus)
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2014, 10:58:26 AM »

Then you should walk!!

But I can't carry everything. The KIA does fine for me.
Pi Entertainment Services
Midas M32R / MR18
Behringer X32R
Danley SH50 / SM80 / TH118 / TH115
Fulcrum Acoustic fa22ac
RCF NX 12SMA
Yamaha DSR112 / DZR10
Powersoft X4 / M50Q
Crown iT8k

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2014, 11:03:11 AM »

But I can't carry everything. The KIA does fine for me.

Then a KIA is right for you.

At least you've driven a Porsche.

Adam Cooke

« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2014, 10:12:48 PM »

Out of the options you list, I'd definitely recommend the Si Performer. I like both the ergonomics and sound better than the X32. I haven't used a QU-24 yet, but it seems somewhat limited in features compared to the other consoles mentioned.
The only big gain I see on the Qu versus the others is that there are a total of 24 mix outputs, which would make it really handy for IEM monitors (IF they are true 24 channels of mixes)
Maybe I'm missing something, but it actually looks like the QU has fewer mixes than the Expression/Performer.
4 mono mixes, 5 stereo mixes/groups, 4 fx, 2 mtx for the QU   vs:
8 mono mixes, 6 stereo mixes, 4 fx, 4 mtx for the Soundcraft
Also, no VCAs or scribble strips on the QU.
A few ergonomics things that set the Soundcrafts apart for me:
-All the encoder knobs have LEDs around them so you can tell where they're set without having to look at a screen somewhere else on the console.
-All the bands of the EQ are there at once without having to select each band with a button (and settings are marked by those knob LEDs).
-There are knobs over the faders, which comes in handy sometimes, for quickly adjusting gains, or riding a channel's fader level and pan at the same time.

That's all stuff that matters to me, but everyone has different opinions and preferences...

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2014, 12:11:30 PM »

I think the Soundcraft has the most flexible workflow options.  Every fader can be assigned to do almost any function.  I can set mine up to duplicate the functionality of an X32 or a GL 2200 and everything in between.  That comes in handy when working with a guest engineer who, for example, has never used a digital board,(Yes, they are out there!).  The X32 does have more "features" that I would bet 90% of the people who buy it will never use.

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2014, 08:21:05 PM »

The X32 does have more "features" that I would bet 90% of the people who buy it will never use.
But 10% of us do.  I do a lot of different styles of gigs.  Having that flexibility allows me more tools to get the job done (and more options for how that might be).  I really enjoy not being limited by my equipment.
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

Sean Thomas

« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2014, 08:38:10 PM »

I will take my 01v96i's over the above ANY TIME..

What digital snake box do you use?  What iPad and iPhone apps do you use?  32 mic pres?  16 xlr outs?  New features via firmware updates?

I just use my Yamaha O1V96 as a line level sub mixer now.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2014, 11:10:41 PM »

What digital snake box do you use?  What iPad and iPhone apps do you use?  32 mic pres?  16 xlr outs?  New features via firmware updates?

I just use my Yamaha O1V96 as a line level sub mixer now.

A bit of practical advice.  We bought the x32 producer (and the first time it hurt bad, very gut wrenching decision) my geek side wanted the si or the Qu16

The businessman said that my friendly competitor has these, all the freelance sound guys are using them so the labor pool is where I need it and they are not bad.

Anything at this price point is a compromise, at least go into with eyes wide open.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

John Chiara

« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2014, 11:47:43 PM »

But 10% of us do.  I do a lot of different styles of gigs.  Having that flexibility allows me more tools to get the job done (and more options for how that might be).  I really enjoy not being limited by my equipment.

I agree! I know that I am able to do things with even my X32 rack that other boards in this class simply can't do. Just having parallel compression on every input and output really is significant.

Mike Sullivan

« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2014, 01:51:39 AM »

Thanks for the advice all.  I think I've had the same consensus as most.  The Soundcraft Si's have a simpler more logical layout for on-the-fly mixing, while the X32 family does have more features (and apparently is becoming a bit more rider friendly, we've had a few nationals request the X32 Compact over the Performer).  I borrowed my buddy's Performer for a show Friday night, and I remembered how easy it was to get around on it.  I still have to sit down some time and play with the effects and find which ones I like and which ones I don't.  I think I'm going to stick with it personally for my stuff, and get an X32 Compact for my small bar/acoustic stuff.  At least that way if I need more channels or need it for something else I can expand.  I'm still keeping the options open, but I think replacing my Studiolive 2442 with an X32 is looking like a possibility at this point...
When you're reading a topic, and the word "Danley" comes up...RUN!!!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2014, 01:51:39 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 21 queries.