ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Low End Digital Boards, looking for all opinions  (Read 23650 times)

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
Re: Low End Digital Boards, looking for all opinions
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2014, 10:36:19 PM »

Always mix on the iPad NEVER run a snake of any kind

WTF does that mean?
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2014, 02:49:27 AM »

The Soundcraft layout and functional flow is quite a bit more logical than the other mentioned boards requiring fewer button presses to move to and through functions.

That is what I liked about the Si - even before I got my hands on one.

And on the subject of digital snake vs. traditional multicore - The CAT5 option is more convenient, but with an analogue connection, you can still use your old analogue mixer as a backup.

Steve.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 02:52:51 AM by Steve M Smith »

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2014, 05:16:54 AM »

WTF does that mean?
Leaving the desk at the stage end, so no multi required, and mixing remotely on the iPad.

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2014, 10:49:22 AM »

In the end, they all seem to be fine boards.

Personally, I have always hankered after the A&H GLD, as I feel it offers the best workflow - especially with the larger format console.

But, for a multi-purpose house, I'm warming more and more to the X32 family.  Obviously, it wins on cost hands down.  But, I've realised that the sheer numbers sold mean great things for its support.  The software has been enhanced a lot already, and I'd expect more is to come, where other desks seem to fall into a bit of a limbo.  It appears to be the *only* desk with an Android remote control solution.

And I do rather like some of the interface tweaks on the console itself, like the 4 dedicated mix outputs, the assignable rotaries (not just assignable buttons).  Moreover, I like the downward scaleability to the Compact/Producer.

My own 01v91 is great, but I wish I'd sold it a while back while prices were still high, for an X32 compact.

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2014, 11:08:48 AM »

Why do you call these low end? And why would you want a low end anything?

Low end does not do these boards justice - as you said, they are anything but low end.
They are the entry level boards for those manufacturers - so one could use the term low end in that context.  I doubt the OP meant any disrespect.

frank

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2014, 12:36:54 PM »

Entry level digital would be correct, as all of those manufacturers have entry level boards in the analog class. It looks like the OP had made up his mind before the post anyway.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

John Chiara

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2014, 12:52:54 PM »

I'm with you there, Being able to mix on the ipad is a nice feature and great for setting up monitors, but a PITA to mix all night on.

I agree too....BUT...I have been intentionally doing some small Festival setups with the X32 Rack to see how proficient and fast I can get. Kind of nerve racking...had to run a power cable yesterday.. iPad hovering at 5% charge!! Thing for me is...I have a few local bands setup with X32 Racks with my scenes and they can now hire me to show up and mix. I was late for a show last week... Walked in, sat at the bar, signed on to their network and mixed the rest of the show. Great for white glove walk ins. With appropriate DCA assignments it works about as good as a remote app can. However, used Stagemix with an M7 last week and Man...the Stagemix app us so fast responding it is really nice. Also love the EQ setting...the node you grab displays Freq, gain and Q right on it and adjusting filter Q is SMOOTH! Wish we could get that kind of reaction time.

Garry Wilson

• Laurel, MD
    • 98.6 Sound
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2014, 05:07:01 PM »

I could search through topic after topic and try to pick a board, but I want to see who has used the boards I'm looking at and see what their opinions are between them.  I'm getting two new boards, one 16 or 24 channel for small bar shows, and at least a 32 channel board for small to medium sized festival style shows (your average small town show).  Each board will have the digital snake with them (I refuse to pull copper anymore lol) also remember I'm coming from a Studiolive 24.4.2

So, here are the choices...

Behringer X32 family
Soundcraft Expression
Allen & Heath Qu

So let's start with the X32.  I've used a regular X32 once and the Compact three times so far.  With the actual X32, it was a buddy's system and he had another sound guy set it up that had NO clue on how to operate a digital board, so it was a headache to get everything straightened out.  The other times were a small bar show with a low level national rock band (rider acceptable actually) and the other was a festival this past weekend.  Both times I got to use the iPad app, the festival was done with the board to the side of the stage, and both used the digital snakes.  It didn't take as long to get around as it did the first time, and didn't have much of a problem.  The iPad app is really easy to get around on.  It didn't take long at all to do a line check and fast sound check.  And the wifi reception (on an old WRT54G router) was about 75' before it started to drop out.  I also like the Sends on Fader option for monitor mixing.  The pre's are pretty sensitive though IMHO, you don't want to run them too hot or they start distorting early (at least from what I could hear).

Soundcraft Expression/Performer...I have used the Compact 32, the Expression 2, and a Performer 3, and they're all laid out similarly, so it wasn't that hard to differentiate.  This has to be the simpler of the boards.  Select a channel, all processing is directly in front of you (similar to the Studiolive FAT channel, you don't have to look at the screen for major functions).  I like the Sends on Fader option on the Expression a bit more.  Select a mix, and the faders correspond with that mix itself, and since 30 channels are sitting there (on the 32 channel version) it doesn't take long to get monitor mixes dialed in.  The GEQ on Faders also makes EQing faster as well, and since it's only in two layers and you don't have to change what bank of faders you are using, it makes dialing in a little faster.  If I did end up going with the Expression/Performer, I would probably go to the Performer for the VCA's, full 4-band parametric EQ, and scribble strips.  Don't really need the DMX interface.

Allen & Heath Qu...I can't speak for it as I've never used one and I've only seen the GLD series a couple of times, but I've watched videos on it and it operates similar to both boards.  All channel faders are handy on one layer, they are fully recallable, and the board contains a full 4-band parametric EQ.  The only big gain I see on the Qu versus the others is that there are a total of 24 mix outputs, which would make it really handy for IEM monitors (IF they are true 24 channels of mixes)

So, for those that have used the above boards, what do you recommend?  I am leaning towards a Expression/Performer 3 and the X32 Compact, but I would like to get the right hardware to allow the boards to share a stagebox for larger shows where a separate monitor console would come in handy.

I can only speak on the Expression, LOVE it. I had a SL1642 and have a SL2442. I sold the SL1642 and replaced it with an Expression 2, I loved my SL6442, but did find that I could use more inputs and really use more outputs(auxes). The logical layout of the Expression is great IMO, as well as the sound. I looked at the X32 and the QU16 when it first came out, without going into a long drawn out as to why, I picked the SC E2 after installing a SC E3 into a church and being very impressed with it. The only slight annoyance is the last two channels being on the next layer. I bought the Stage box Mini32, which quickly turns it into a 32 channel mixer and more when adding the local XLR connectors. ;D

I just sold my LS9-32 a couple of weeks ago and considering a SC Performer 3 as its replacement.
Garry W.
CTS, SBE-CEV, A+
www.986sound.com

Robert Piascik

• Westerville, OH (near Columbus)
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2014, 01:21:20 AM »

WTF does that mean?

It means I set my X32R at side stage, mix from out front on an iPad, and don't run a copper snake or a CAT5 out front to a console.

I have three set ups with the X32R. One I use almost exclusively with one band and have it racked up with power amps and processing and mic and speaker cables bundled and stored in empty spaces underneath. I roll in one 12 sp rack, plug into power, roll out the cables and can be set up in just a few minutes. Router is mounted in the rack, mics in a drawer. I love the quick and easy set up and few cases and connections to make. The X32R works well for me, I can't compare to the other choices because I've never used them.
Pi Entertainment Services
Midas M32R / MR18
Behringer X32R
Danley SH50 / SM80 / TH118 / TH115
Fulcrum Acoustic fa22ac
RCF NX 12SMA
Yamaha DSR112 / DZR10
Powersoft X4 / M50Q
Crown iT8k

Robert Piascik

• Westerville, OH (near Columbus)
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2014, 01:26:59 AM »

That's like saying, "I've only driven a KIA."

Try driving a Porsche sometime.

But I only drive a couple blocks to the corner store and back and my KIA is economical and perfectly suited for that task. I'd love to have a Porsche for that but wouldn't utilize all the benefits and it costs a lot more.
Pi Entertainment Services
Midas M32R / MR18
Behringer X32R
Danley SH50 / SM80 / TH118 / TH115
Fulcrum Acoustic fa22ac
RCF NX 12SMA
Yamaha DSR112 / DZR10
Powersoft X4 / M50Q
Crown iT8k

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2014, 01:26:59 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.082 seconds with 21 queries.