ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Low End Digital Boards, looking for all opinions  (Read 23652 times)

Mike Sullivan

Low End Digital Boards, looking for all opinions
« on: July 06, 2014, 05:36:54 PM »

I could search through topic after topic and try to pick a board, but I want to see who has used the boards I'm looking at and see what their opinions are between them.  I'm getting two new boards, one 16 or 24 channel for small bar shows, and at least a 32 channel board for small to medium sized festival style shows (your average small town show).  Each board will have the digital snake with them (I refuse to pull copper anymore lol) also remember I'm coming from a Studiolive 24.4.2

So, here are the choices...

Behringer X32 family
Soundcraft Expression
Allen & Heath Qu

So let's start with the X32.  I've used a regular X32 once and the Compact three times so far.  With the actual X32, it was a buddy's system and he had another sound guy set it up that had NO clue on how to operate a digital board, so it was a headache to get everything straightened out.  The other times were a small bar show with a low level national rock band (rider acceptable actually) and the other was a festival this past weekend.  Both times I got to use the iPad app, the festival was done with the board to the side of the stage, and both used the digital snakes.  It didn't take as long to get around as it did the first time, and didn't have much of a problem.  The iPad app is really easy to get around on.  It didn't take long at all to do a line check and fast sound check.  And the wifi reception (on an old WRT54G router) was about 75' before it started to drop out.  I also like the Sends on Fader option for monitor mixing.  The pre's are pretty sensitive though IMHO, you don't want to run them too hot or they start distorting early (at least from what I could hear).

Soundcraft Expression/Performer...I have used the Compact 32, the Expression 2, and a Performer 3, and they're all laid out similarly, so it wasn't that hard to differentiate.  This has to be the simpler of the boards.  Select a channel, all processing is directly in front of you (similar to the Studiolive FAT channel, you don't have to look at the screen for major functions).  I like the Sends on Fader option on the Expression a bit more.  Select a mix, and the faders correspond with that mix itself, and since 30 channels are sitting there (on the 32 channel version) it doesn't take long to get monitor mixes dialed in.  The GEQ on Faders also makes EQing faster as well, and since it's only in two layers and you don't have to change what bank of faders you are using, it makes dialing in a little faster.  If I did end up going with the Expression/Performer, I would probably go to the Performer for the VCA's, full 4-band parametric EQ, and scribble strips.  Don't really need the DMX interface.

Allen & Heath Qu...I can't speak for it as I've never used one and I've only seen the GLD series a couple of times, but I've watched videos on it and it operates similar to both boards.  All channel faders are handy on one layer, they are fully recallable, and the board contains a full 4-band parametric EQ.  The only big gain I see on the Qu versus the others is that there are a total of 24 mix outputs, which would make it really handy for IEM monitors (IF they are true 24 channels of mixes)

So, for those that have used the above boards, what do you recommend?  I am leaning towards a Expression/Performer 3 and the X32 Compact, but I would like to get the right hardware to allow the boards to share a stagebox for larger shows where a separate monitor console would come in handy.
When you're reading a topic, and the word "Danley" comes up...RUN!!!

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
Re: Low End Digital Boards, looking for all opinions
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 07:03:50 PM »

I have only used to of them.  The X32 and the Si3 Expression.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Soundcraft - Not that there's anything wrong with the X32, I just think the Si is better thought out.

I have also watched some tutorial videos of the Qu series and they do appear impressive.

Steve.

Robert Piascik

• Westerville, OH (near Columbus)
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2014, 07:17:52 PM »

I've only used the X32. Love it. Always mix on the iPad NEVER run a snake of any kind
Pi Entertainment Services
Midas M32R / MR18
Behringer X32R
Danley SH50 / SM80 / TH118 / TH115
Fulcrum Acoustic fa22ac
RCF NX 12SMA
Yamaha DSR112 / DZR10
Powersoft X4 / M50Q
Crown iT8k

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2014, 07:20:47 PM »

I recommend the Soundcraft boards for all of the reasons you mentioned, and many, many more. At one time remote control of the boards was a question, and it seemed like all of the other manufacturers had more robust and full featured apps. That's no longer the case and the new featured app combined with the latest firmware puts Soundcraft's remote control equal to if not better than the rest of the crowd.

The Soundcraft layout and functional flow is quite a bit more logical than the other mentioned boards requiring fewer button presses to move to and through functions. Savings a scene is a prime example, as is accessing EQ's, etc.. Which leads to the touch screen. Once your routing is completed the touch screen is more of a graphic to display changes to your settings as they are being made, a GEQ for example. It does not need to be used constantly during a performance. My biggest use has been to save changes to a scene, a function that is instantaneous and non-interruptive at any point.

Now the boo crowd will chime in, but so be it. Since the first upgrade of the firmware there have been no issues to speak of, and that includes fader issues, stage box issues, remote app issues, drop outs or other problems that shouldn't exist. However, if there was a problem that needed service center attention you'll find one somewhere within a reasonable distance from your location.   
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2014, 07:31:15 PM »

I've only used the X32. Love it. Always mix on the iPad NEVER run a snake of any kind

That's like saying, "I've only driven a KIA."

Try driving a Porsche sometime.

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2014, 07:32:26 PM »

I could search through topic after topic and try to pick a board, but I want to see who has used the boards I'm looking at and see what their opinions are between them.  I'm getting two new boards, one 16 or 24 channel for small bar shows, and at least a 32 channel board for small to medium sized festival style shows (your average small town show).  Each board will have the digital snake with them (I refuse to pull copper anymore lol) also remember I'm coming from a Studiolive 24.4.2

So, here are the choices...

Behringer X32 family
Soundcraft Expression
Allen & Heath Qu

So let's start with the X32.  I've used a regular X32 once and the Compact three times so far.  With the actual X32, it was a buddy's system and he had another sound guy set it up that had NO clue on how to operate a digital board, so it was a headache to get everything straightened out.  The other times were a small bar show with a low level national rock band (rider acceptable actually) and the other was a festival this past weekend.  Both times I got to use the iPad app, the festival was done with the board to the side of the stage, and both used the digital snakes.  It didn't take as long to get around as it did the first time, and didn't have much of a problem.  The iPad app is really easy to get around on.  It didn't take long at all to do a line check and fast sound check.  And the wifi reception (on an old WRT54G router) was about 75' before it started to drop out.  I also like the Sends on Fader option for monitor mixing.  The pre's are pretty sensitive though IMHO, you don't want to run them too hot or they start distorting early (at least from what I could hear).

Soundcraft Expression/Performer...I have used the Compact 32, the Expression 2, and a Performer 3, and they're all laid out similarly, so it wasn't that hard to differentiate.  This has to be the simpler of the boards.  Select a channel, all processing is directly in front of you (similar to the Studiolive FAT channel, you don't have to look at the screen for major functions).  I like the Sends on Fader option on the Expression a bit more.  Select a mix, and the faders correspond with that mix itself, and since 30 channels are sitting there (on the 32 channel version) it doesn't take long to get monitor mixes dialed in.  The GEQ on Faders also makes EQing faster as well, and since it's only in two layers and you don't have to change what bank of faders you are using, it makes dialing in a little faster.  If I did end up going with the Expression/Performer, I would probably go to the Performer for the VCA's, full 4-band parametric EQ, and scribble strips.  Don't really need the DMX interface.

Allen & Heath Qu...I can't speak for it as I've never used one and I've only seen the GLD series a couple of times, but I've watched videos on it and it operates similar to both boards.  All channel faders are handy on one layer, they are fully recallable, and the board contains a full 4-band parametric EQ.  The only big gain I see on the Qu versus the others is that there are a total of 24 mix outputs, which would make it really handy for IEM monitors (IF they are true 24 channels of mixes)

So, for those that have used the above boards, what do you recommend?  I am leaning towards a Expression/Performer 3 and the X32 Compact, but I would like to get the right hardware to allow the boards to share a stagebox for larger shows where a separate monitor console would come in handy.

Why do you call these low end? And why would you want a low end anything?

Steve Alves

• South Florida
    • South Florida Sound
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2014, 08:46:15 PM »

I will take my 01v96i's over the above ANY TIME..
Steven Alves
South Florida Sound, Fort Lauderdale, FL
www.southfloridasound.com

Jerome Casinger

• Castle Rock DJ and Sound
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2014, 08:53:15 PM »

Man, More power to you, I cant stand running on the IPAD if I can avoid it.  Running copper takes me about 5 minutes, and to have knobs to grab at, use multiple parts of the board at a time, and not only see a handful of faders at a time no way....I have only not run a snake once and it was not my choice.  I appreciate the ipad to walk the room, but that is about it, and setting monitors of course.

Spenser Hamilton

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2014, 09:35:06 PM »

I've used the Expression and the X32, my vote is the X32, although I look forward to trying a QU board.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Technical Director - Chatham Capitol Theatre/Kiwanis Theatre

Joe Jordan

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2014, 09:38:36 PM »

Man, More power to you, I cant stand running on the IPAD if I can avoid it.  Running copper takes me about 5 minutes, and to have knobs to grab at, use multiple parts of the board at a time, and not only see a handful of faders at a time no way....I have only not run a snake once and it was not my choice.  I appreciate the ipad to walk the room, but that is about it, and setting monitors of course.

I'm with you there, Being able to mix on the ipad is a nice feature and great for setting up monitors, but a PITA to mix all night on.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2014, 09:38:36 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 20 queries.