ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: EU-6500 running 3500 watts of sound - Volume lowers during heavy bass  (Read 39233 times)

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
Re: EU-6500 running 3500 watts of sound - Volume lowers during heavy bass
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2014, 01:26:24 AM »

The owner of the system describes the power distro as two 4 squares as quad outlet boxes mounted to a short length of 2x4.  He was told to split every thing he plugs in between the two sides. I would assume one hot feeds one set of four outlets and the other hot feeds the other 4 with the neutral being pigtailed to all of them.  Aside from the protection of GFI's, would a ready made distro box be wired differently?  I look that up.

This makes me go on alert: a homemade distro. Of course they can be built correctly, but without opening up I don't have any assurance of that. I can potentially see the distro being the problem if there are undersized wires within the distro.

The other problem is that if it's not labeled as to which leg each receptacle is on, you could end up loading one side to the point of drawing the voltage too low and underloading the other side.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Ron Hebbard

« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2014, 03:45:19 AM »

This makes me go on alert: a homemade distro. Of course they can be built correctly, but without opening up I don't have any assurance of that. I can potentially see the distro being the problem if there are undersized wires within the distro.

The other problem is that if it's not labeled as to which leg each receptacle is on, you could end up loading one side to the point of drawing the voltage too low and underloading the other side.

Hello Jonathan;

Puts me on alert too.
Distro, 2" x 4", unlabelled duplex receptacles sourced via a 2 pole 30 Amp breaker with no additional protection has that affect on me.

Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Frank DeWitt

• LBP DI Box
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2014, 09:54:44 AM »

Certainly the distro should be made correctly.  It should have a separate breaker for each leg, and be built with the correct wire size.  I don't see undersize wire inside the distro as a potential problem.  it the internal outlets were wired with #14 wire that would be bad. but it would cut the voltage by .03 volts if there was 8 inches of #14 wire.  If it was wired internally with #18 wire that would be very bad and I would not use it but it would only cut the voltage by .08 volts.
Not to Code

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2014, 10:56:40 AM »

If it was wired internally with #18 wire that would be very bad and I would not use it but it would only cut the voltage by .08 volts.

Yup, that's what we call a fusible link.  >:(

Don't do it...

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2014, 11:21:06 AM »

I remember dealing with one guy in the PNW at a show-- he took a 50A input to his distro, but he had to hard wire it. So, he removed the connector on the (rented) feeder cable, stripped back the jacket and attached it to his board. And then chopped off the +/- 2' of #6 tails and replaced the connector at the end of the show. Which of course means the rental house's 50' cable is now-- 48'. I told him I'd be pissed if he ever did that to one of MY cables! And was just like "dude, get yourself 5' of 6/4, and wire it to your distro. Put a CS6365 on it, and call it a day."

I don't recall seeing breakers on that as well, though.

I've seen in-house AV at hotels with L14-30 to 2gang boxes for breakouts-- same deal, not breakering it down, so they're providing up to 30A on each 20A receptacle. Needless to say, I politely declined to use it, and brought my own box/cable when I provided for shows there.

Shawn, I am in the PNW as well. Give me a shout and maybe I can pop in on a show with your guys and see what's going on!   [Or I bring my WhisperWatt and a couple hundred feet of cams and a proper distro :P]

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2014, 12:08:06 PM »

Just buy a proper 30a distro. Amp shop or other can get you a proper one for just a few hundred dollars. Heck, they even show up in the marketplace here or the other forum.

Shorten the feeder to a pair of 100' cables with L14-30 connectors and you are good to go.

I learned a long time ago that if my power is good, then all I need to do is focus on the sound.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Mike Sokol

« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2014, 08:19:30 AM »

I still think the speakers are too small for the gig. DJs are used to doing indoor shows where the walls help contain the reverberant field to keep the distance fall-off to a minimum. As I said earlier, I don't think that system will do 110 dB outside. Heck, I don't think it will do 105 dB without distortion. Of course, lots of clipping distortion on the high-paks and bass freq doubling (2nd order harmonics) on the subs will be tolerated for DJ gigs. But I think the entire system is running out of gas and predict that the power fix will do little to stop the self-limiting action of the on-board amplifiers.   

Or maybe I'm full of s**t. But I don't think so.... ;)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2014, 09:58:06 AM »

Agree, Mike, but that's another forum... ;)
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mike Sokol

« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2014, 10:10:19 AM »

Agree, Mike, but that's another forum... ;)

Which part? The full of s**t part, or the SPL part???  ;D

Tom Duffy

• TASCAM
« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2014, 04:20:46 PM »

Hello Jonathan;

Puts me on alert too.
Distro, 2" x 4", unlabelled duplex receptacles sourced via a 2 pole 30 Amp breaker with no additional protection has that affect on me.

Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

I'm surprised we got to 4 pages without this being said multiple times. 
No sensible conversation can be had about whether the wires are the correct size and the speakers getting adequate power until this fiery liability is dealt with.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2014, 04:20:46 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 24 queries.