ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: WD-40 Contact Cleaner?  (Read 19564 times)

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
Re: WD-40 Contact Cleaner?
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2014, 05:06:20 PM »

Only slightly on topic, but relating to your post.  This is a speaker junction box in a major league stadium.  I was retuning the place, and I had about 3 sets of speakers that the levels would jump all over. After about 4 hours of troubleshooting, found this above the upper deck canopy. Just touching the wire caused the connection to disintegrate.

Looks like there was water standing in one end of the box a lot of the time judging by how one contact strip looks fine but the other two are heavily corroded.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2014, 02:05:09 PM »

No drain holes.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Frank DeWitt

• LBP DI Box
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2014, 02:15:34 PM »

Playing Woulda Coulda Shoulda  Yes, drain holes would help, or be plugged by bugs and mud wasps ETC.  I vote for small drain holes.

Screw terminals mounted on DIN rail would have stood up further off the bottom of the box.  I like to use them because they are very dense and they don't require spade lugs.

I have used three conductor two terminal versions of DIN rail terminals for microphone cables.  (small installed snakes joining a big snake) 

I say Woulda Coulda Shoulda because I think if I had seen that box a week after it was installed I would have thought it was a good neat well done install.
Not to Code

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2014, 07:09:02 PM »

No drain holes.

It appears to me that the cable entrance in the bottom of the box was serving as a drain. :-(

However, because of the depth of the raised portion of the busing inside the box, the water level was elevated somewhat. Even so, had it been flush, the box would have still held water because it was not sitting flat; rather, the box was sloped with the roof as evident by the rust being on only one side -- the downhill side.

At least that's what I get out of the pictures.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2014, 07:31:43 PM »

It appears to me that the cable entrance in the bottom of the box was serving as a drain. :-(

However, because of the depth of the raised portion of the busing inside the box, the water level was elevated somewhat. Even so, had it been flush, the box would have still held water because it was not sitting flat; rather, the box was sloped with the roof as evident by the rust being on only one side -- the downhill side.

At least that's what I get out of the pictures.

The box was relatively flat, but not perfectly.  Water collected at the low point on the box, and when enough water was inside it would drain down the conduit.  We never did get the lid completely off. The box itself was twisted to mate miss cut conduit holes to the installed pipe. This caused the lid to be twisted and after the previous installer cross threaded and started spinning the back side nutserts, they "filled in the gap" with caulk, and apparently didn't do a good enough job.  The corrosion or rust actually wicked up the wire.  We started by cutting off, 2", 4", 8", 12" before the copper started to not be completely  black. At this point, there wasn't much wire left to make a connection, so we sanded the wire clean and wirenutted them together (this was found the day before opening day).  We drilled a couple drain holes in the box, and got through the first couple events. Later we ended up going back (to this box, and the three others)replacing the box and fused the connection with flux, a torch, solder, and marine grade heat shrink.
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2014, 07:31:43 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 25 queries.