ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Qu-series acceptable USB hard drives  (Read 22352 times)

John Halliburton

• Still has hair and white pointy beard...
Re: Qu-series acceptable USB hard drives
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2014, 08:41:25 AM »

Have used WD My Passport 1TB and WD My Passport 500Gb with absolutely no issues at all.
Many folks on the A&H website were complaining that even some of the 'approved' drives were causing skipping yet some others not on the list were working well. It was also noted by quite a few people that vibration was a factor in the skipping issues and some found that if they laid the drive on foam, it completely eliminated the skipping. Others said it made no difference.

I have formatted on most occasions but yet on others I have not. Each time I have got great results.

I bought a WD 1TB shortly after buying my QU24 last month.  Finally recorded a gig two weeks ago with it and got around to setting up the mixer and speakers on Sunday to have a listen.  Sounds beautiful and no issues.  I'm going to try and mix down to two track using Audacity on my laptop-figure at worst I can take the main L/R outputs and pump them through my USB preamp feeding the laptop and Audacity,   USB to USB would be nice though.

We'll find out.

Best regards,

John

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2014, 09:17:12 AM »

Usually I keep running for each set and only stop recording for breaks. However, I used the stop start method one time and had no issues other than as you say Dick - processing delays.

BTW... How did your recording turn out last weekend?
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2014, 11:14:53 AM »

Usually I keep running for each set and only stop recording for breaks. However, I used the stop start method one time and had no issues other than as you say Dick - processing delays.

BTW... How did your recording turn out last weekend?

Fine, thanks.  Am working on mastering now and once again finding out that "less is more".
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2014, 02:00:43 PM »

Fine, thanks.  Am working on mastering now and once again finding out that "less is more".

The recording is the easy part by far - then the work begins right?     
I have the 'don't know when to stop' syndrome and sometimes I just have to stay away from it for a day or 2 and revisit it. When I do, I hear things I never heard before and my aspect changes.
I spend most of my time on the drums and vocals- everything else needs very little work IF the source material was of good quality of course. 
Most of my musical career was spent in the 80's  so I have to make sure I stay economical with my vocal FX....otherwise I end up with that typical 'Big hair- big room' sound. As you say- less is more!
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2014, 02:07:13 PM »

The recording is the easy part by far - then the work begins right?     
I have the 'don't know when to stop' syndrome and sometimes I just have to stay away from it for a day or 2 and revisit it. When I do, I hear things I never heard before and my aspect changes.
I spend most of my time on the drums and vocals- everything else needs very little work IF the source material was of good quality of course. 
Most of my musical career was spent in the 80's  so I have to make sure I stay economical with my vocal FX....otherwise I end up with that typical 'Big hair- big room' sound. As you say- less is more!

I ran all 18 tracks as a practice run, but I'm just using the spaced pair of KSM 44's and a smidgen of piano mics for the mix.  Event was 160 voice Swedish choir concert.  Pipe organ on one number, 5 piece folk ensemble on occasion, piano on most and 30 piece brass band on the closing number.

I could spend days working with the individual mics and never come close to the sound of the spaced pair...
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2014, 03:33:52 PM »

I ran all 18 tracks as a practice run, but I'm just using the spaced pair of KSM 44's and a smidgen of piano mics for the mix.  Event was 160 voice Swedish choir concert.  Pipe organ on one number, 5 piece folk ensemble on occasion, piano on most and 30 piece brass band on the closing number.

I could spend days working with the individual mics and never come close to the sound of the spaced pair...

That blows my mind!

Bradford "BJ" James

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2019, 07:19:38 PM »

Sorry to dig up an old thread. I have been pulling my hair out trying to find some compatible USB thumb drives for stereo recordings. I have the Sandisk Extreme 3.0 32g (among several others) mentioned earlier. Does not work. I tried formatting it on the QU, it just stays at 0%, I tried formatting on a PC first. They try formatting on QU- no dice. I have tried at least a dozen different drives and the only one that works is an old Kingston that is no longer made. I have a customer who is chomping at the bit for me to get this resolved. Am I doing something wrong when I format? I'm stumped.
Proud Canadian dealer for Danley Sound Labs, A&H, Yamaha, QSC, Yorkville and more.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2019, 10:01:48 PM »

Sorry to dig up an old thread. I have been pulling my hair out trying to find some compatible USB thumb drives for stereo recordings. I have the Sandisk Extreme 3.0 32g (among several others) mentioned earlier. Does not work. I tried formatting it on the QU, it just stays at 0%, I tried formatting on a PC first. They try formatting on QU- no dice. I have tried at least a dozen different drives and the only one that works is an old Kingston that is no longer made. I have a customer who is chomping at the bit for me to get this resolved. Am I doing something wrong when I format? I'm stumped.

mmm - it can be a bit of a toss up but I have had zero issues with (flash drives) 1) Sandisk extreme of any gb size, 2) PNY, 3) Toshiba   and in hard drives - HD - most types.

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2019, 08:23:00 AM »

You might be formatting with an improper file structure on the computer.

You will want a formatter that can format discs larger than 32gB to the Fat32 filesystem(hint, windows can't natively do this and I'm not sure mac can either).

https://fat32-format.en.softonic.com
http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?guiformat.htm
https://www.wikihow.com/Format-FAT32#Windows_.28Drives_Larger_than_32_GB.29_sub

Once it is formatted in windows, insert into the QU/SQ and format AGAIN there, this will set up the file structure and such.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 09:53:38 AM by Nathan Riddle »
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Bradford "BJ" James

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2019, 09:45:45 AM »

You might be formatting with an improper file structure on the computer.

You will want a formatter that can format discs larger than 32gB to the Fat32 filesystem(hint, windows can't do this).

https://fat32-format.en.softonic.com
http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?guiformat.htm
https://www.wikihow.com/Format-FAT32#Windows_.28Drives_Larger_than_32_GB.29_sub

Once it is formatted in windows, insert into the QU/SQ and format AGAIN there, this will set up the file structure and such.
Thanks for the replies.
Nathan, great links. I never thought of using the mac to try formatting. I’ll try a few using it today and see how it goes. I did get one of the sticks to work ladt night by using the “long” format on the PC, so at least it gets me out of my immediate bind.
Thanks again.
BJ
Proud Canadian dealer for Danley Sound Labs, A&H, Yamaha, QSC, Yorkville and more.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2019, 09:45:45 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 23 queries.