ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Qu-series acceptable USB hard drives  (Read 22617 times)

Bradford "BJ" James

Re: Qu-series acceptable USB hard drives
« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2019, 09:23:48 AM »

I'm sure that it got fixed in the SQ!

Users expect that they can plug in any dang USB thumbdrive.  The fact that the manual says dont do this is ignored by users.  The result is dissatisfaction with the amount of time trying to get something working that was never meant to work in the first place.
A user should be able to plug any decent quality thumbdrive to simply save scenes or even record stereo. I don’t expect to multitrack without a HDD, but trying to find a suitable thumbdrive for simple scene save is frustrating. The drives that work today may not be availble for sale tomorrow, and the whole process starts again.
Proud Canadian dealer for Danley Sound Labs, A&H, Yamaha, QSC, Yorkville and more.

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2019, 10:08:12 AM »

A user should be able to plug any decent quality thumbdrive to simply save scenes or even record stereo. I don’t expect to multitrack without a HDD, but trying to find a suitable thumbdrive for simple scene save is frustrating. The drives that work today may not be availble for sale tomorrow, and the whole process starts again.

What drives are you having issue saving scenes or doing stereo recording?

I installed an SQ6 recently and grabbed a random old off-brand 1G flash drive and it did everything just fine including multitrack recordings.

Anecdotal evidence and all that, but are people really having issues saving scenes?
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2019, 11:14:35 AM »

What drives are you having issue saving scenes or doing stereo recording?

I installed an SQ6 recently and grabbed a random old off-brand 1G flash drive and it did everything just fine including multitrack recordings.

Anecdotal evidence and all that, but are people really having issues saving scenes?

Why is this difficult for you to believe?  I've had a number of different consoles not "like" a variety of USB flash drives.  The most forgiving desks are Avid Venue, followed by Yamaha.  Everything else I've touched has been picky to some degree or another.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Lyle Williams

« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2019, 04:11:22 AM »

I absolutely agree that that is the user expectation.  Maybe A&H should have written "HDD only" under the USB A socket on the Qu.

Dan Richardson

• southern Vermont
    • NotTooLoud
« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2019, 08:30:25 AM »

Maybe A&H should have written "HDD only" under the USB A socket on the Qu.

Or put some buffers into their write code, instead of relying on raw drive speed.
The best sound system is no sound system. Everything else is compromise.

Bradford "BJ" James

« Reply #45 on: May 09, 2019, 11:24:08 PM »

I absolutely agree that that is the user expectation.  Maybe A&H should have written "HDD only" under the USB A socket on the Qu.
Are you familiar with the QU’s ? If not, you should be aware that there is a USB A on the surface, specifically for scene save and stereo 2 track recording. On the rear patch panel resides a USB B that is specifally for a HDD for mutitrack or a computer connection.
I think I’m missing something with the inference that users are misguided by thinking they can use the USB A for exactly what the manual states it is for.
Proud Canadian dealer for Danley Sound Labs, A&H, Yamaha, QSC, Yorkville and more.

Dan Richardson

• southern Vermont
    • NotTooLoud
« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2019, 09:33:07 AM »

Are you familiar with the QU’s ? If not, you should be aware that there is a USB A on the surface, specifically for scene save and stereo 2 track recording. On the rear patch panel resides a USB B that is specifally for a HDD for mutitrack or a computer connection.
I think I’m missing something with the inference that users are misguided by thinking they can use the USB A for exactly what the manual states it is for.

Yes, you're missing the "HDD only" part of the quote. That USB A is pretty reliable with hard drives, presumably because they have their own buffers. Much more picky about USB sticks.

Also note that you can multitrack 18 channels on the USB A. I wouldn't count on it for anything mission critical, though.
The best sound system is no sound system. Everything else is compromise.

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2019, 12:23:42 PM »

Why is this difficult for you to believe?  I've had a number of different consoles not "like" a variety of USB flash drives.  The most forgiving desks are Avid Venue, followed by Yamaha.  Everything else I've touched has been picky to some degree or another.

I find it hard to believe that once the usb drive is recognized by the console that saving/restoring configs would have any issues with any usb drive.

If I follow the manufacturer's suggested steps for working with USB I generally don't have issues with USB drives on any console.

Typically it is due to a file system structure (fat, fat32, exFat, ntfs, etc) mismatch and the console can't format to the preferred structure.
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Wayne Smith2

« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2019, 07:36:27 PM »

Unless I'm missing something I'm not finding anything indicating recording via USB port B can be done direct to a drive.

Lyle Williams

« Reply #49 on: May 11, 2019, 03:18:30 AM »

The manual is very clear that stereo and multitrack is supported to a USB hard drive via the USB A connector on the top surface.

It is also clear that hard drives are supported but USB keys (aka thumbdrives) are not.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #49 on: May 11, 2019, 03:18:30 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 24 queries.