ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Qu-series acceptable USB hard drives  (Read 22672 times)

Dan Richardson

• southern Vermont
    • NotTooLoud
Re: Qu-series acceptable USB hard drives
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2019, 09:58:20 AM »

Am I doing something wrong when I format? I'm stumped.

You're not doing anything wrong. A&H's USB drivers are terrible. The old Sandisk Extreme 3.0 was reliable. They don't make it any more, and the 3.1 replacement doesn't work at all.

I've given up on USB multitracking from my A&H boards altogether. Recording to a laptop is just better in so many ways. Reliability, named files, choose which tracks are being recorded, files are already in your DAW with no importing, etc etc.
The best sound system is no sound system. Everything else is compromise.

Scott Gaines

« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2019, 02:30:46 PM »

You're not doing anything wrong. A&H's USB drivers are terrible. The old Sandisk Extreme 3.0 was reliable. They don't make it any more, and the 3.1 replacement doesn't work at all.

I've given up on USB multitracking from my A&H boards altogether. Recording to a laptop is just better in so many ways. Reliability, named files, choose which tracks are being recorded, files are already in your DAW with no importing, etc etc.
You shouldn't give up on multitrack recording with your QU. The flash drive model I suggested a few posts up works flawlessly

Wayne Smith2

« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2019, 02:55:08 PM »

This thread and the wildly divergent results sited is bizarre.
Maybe it's time to ask why at the the source..
https://community.allen-heath.com/forums/topic/qu-drive-compatible-usb-device-database

Lyle Williams

« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2019, 04:01:41 PM »

The problem is well understood.  The Qu has little (no?) ability to buffer data being written.  If the receiving media says "stop, wait a moment" then the Qu has no place to hold the data.

The behaviour of the Qu is entirely predictable.  The behaviour of the USB thumbdrives varies wildly.

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Dan Richardson

• southern Vermont
    • NotTooLoud
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2019, 02:12:18 PM »

The problem is well understood.  The Qu has little (no?) ability to buffer data being written.  If the receiving media says "stop, wait a moment" then the Qu has no place to hold the data.

The behaviour of the Qu is entirely predictable.  The behaviour of the USB thumbdrives varies wildly.

Exactly. The only drives I have found to work had tested write speeds above 100 MB/s. My JoeCo recorder could reliably record 24 channels of 24 bit 44k to a USB drive with a write speed of 5 MB/s. Hence my contention that A&H's drivers are terrible.

The JoeCo also had a visible buffer display that could show you if you were getting into trouble. In the event of a power drop, it would recover lost files on bootup. That was a well written recorder.

Dan Richardson

• southern Vermont
    • NotTooLoud
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2019, 02:13:51 PM »

This thread and the wildly divergent results sited is bizarre.
Maybe it's time to ask why at the the source..
https://community.allen-heath.com/forums/topic/qu-drive-compatible-usb-device-database

That database lists contradictory results, includes many drives with names that are too incomplete to identify the specific drive, and is largely unverified.

Wayne Smith2

« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2019, 05:33:17 PM »

Haven't searched yet but I'd be interested if this is improved in the SQ series?
Thanks

Lyle Williams

« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2019, 01:25:14 AM »

I'm sure that it got fixed in the SQ!

I think A&H probably implemented the Qu USB recording interface within the real-time portions of the mixer's circuitry, relying on the buffering present in rotating-media drives necessary to cope with HDD head movements.  A design choice that probably seemed pragmatic, effective and efficient at the time, but it hasn't worked out due to user behaviour.

Users expect that they can plug in any dang USB thumbdrive.  The fact that the manual says dont do this is ignored by users.  The result is dissatisfaction with the amount of time trying to get something working that was never meant to work in the first place.

Dan Richardson

• southern Vermont
    • NotTooLoud
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2019, 08:35:17 AM »

I'm sure that it got fixed in the SQ!

Absolutely not.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2019, 08:35:17 AM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 24 queries.