ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Qu-series acceptable USB hard drives  (Read 22347 times)

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
Re: Qu-series acceptable USB hard drives
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2019, 09:54:50 AM »

Thanks for the replies.
Nathan, great links. I never thought of using the mac to try formatting. I’ll try a few using it today and see how it goes. I did get one of the sticks to work ladt night by using the “long” format on the PC, so at least it gets me out of my immediate bind.
Thanks again.
BJ

I meant to say natively, I'm not sure if Mac's can either. I just know to use my 64gig USB 3.0 SanDisk flashdrive I had to format it with an external utility. After that A&H recognized & formatted it easily (up to 2 TB).

Happy to help :)
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Eric Snodgrass

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2019, 12:21:27 PM »

SanDisk Extreme Portable SSD 250GB, model number SDSSDE60-250G. 

Using my Qu-16 I did a multitrack test recording with this drive.  18 tracks recorded for 45 minutes.  Recorded and played back flawlessly. 
And the Qu formatted this drive without having to reformat on a computer. 

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2019, 11:57:12 PM »

I used to record a bunch of classical ensemble stuff and I'd always run a pair of B&K's or C414's through a Manley pre to a DAT as a safety copy.

No matter what I used when I tried to multitrack and mix the same shows, I never did get it to sound as good as the stereo pair in the nice room we were using.

I've always used Kingston flash drives when possible and have never had an issue. I've used Kingston RAM exclusively for decades, as well. I think it's the best stuff out there.

I ran all 18 tracks as a practice run, but I'm just using the spaced pair of KSM 44's and a smidgen of piano mics for the mix.  Event was 160 voice Swedish choir concert.  Pipe organ on one number, 5 piece folk ensemble on occasion, piano on most and 30 piece brass band on the closing number.

I could spend days working with the individual mics and never come close to the sound of the spaced pair...
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Lyle Williams

« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2019, 03:26:11 AM »

A&H go out of their way to tell you not to use thumbdrives.  You'll struggle to find anything that works.

Just about any rotating-media disk will work.  I have had luck with SSD too.

But forget about thumbdrives.

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2019, 08:12:16 AM »

A&H go out of their way to tell you not to use thumbdrives.  You'll struggle to find anything that works.

Just about any rotating-media disk will work.  I have had luck with SSD too.

But forget about thumbdrives.

I disagree. They have plenty of usb thumdrives that are rated and work for the QU/SQ multitrack recording. I have personally used my PNY 3.0 64gig drive to record multitrack just fine on QU/SQ.

Would I use it for a mission-critical event? No, I'd use a 500GB/s WRITE SSD HDD instead (tested to USB 2.0 standards).
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2019, 10:53:52 AM »

I use my same 2 Sandisk USB3 64gb thumb drives ALL THE TIME and I have never had a failure yet. I used to find that the rotating hard drives were quite sensitive to vibration so I would always make sure to place them on foam to avoid that. This isn't an issue with thumb drives.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Kemper Watson

• Woodstock GA
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2019, 06:07:48 PM »

Every time I use a thumb drive I get error readings. I use a Western Digital Passport USB hard drive with no issues..

Edit.. The full name is WD My Passport Ultra

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2019, 12:25:29 PM »

I use my same 2 Sandisk USB3 64gb thumb drives ALL THE TIME and I have never had a failure yet. I used to find that the rotating hard drives were quite sensitive to vibration so I would always make sure to place them on foam to avoid that. This isn't an issue with thumb drives.

Yeah, A&H say the SanDisk Ultra USB 3.0 64G is tested and compatible.  Yes and no.  I have two visually identical flash drives:  one works, IDs, formats, and records just fine, the other locks up on format.  Re-format on MAC, Windows, and third-party fat-32 formatter, still no dice in the QU-PAC or QU-SB.  Spent hours a week or two ago trying to get something to work enough to just copy a scene - not even recording! 

Although apparently identical (bought same time, same BB retailer) they are not the same.  SanDisk is famous for changing circuit components/designs and the only visible difference is the actual part number (in unreadably small type).  This has been the case since the early MB versions of Compact Flash cards.  SanDisk is not alone in these practices.

Now I will say, that when they work, they do work well.  In the years I've owned QU, this was the first problem I've run across with flash drives.  We record on the flash drives very often with usually one error within the first minute or two of the recording.

Final thought: FAT-32 has a maximum of 4GB individual file size.  I don't know what that turns out to be in terms of recording length,  but can be calculated with a little research.

YMMV,
frank

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2019, 01:22:46 PM »

Appx 3hrs per channel per Gb of storage at 44.1 WAV.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Scott Gaines

« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2019, 12:12:56 PM »

SanDisk SDCZ880-256G-G46 Extreme... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N7QDO7M?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

This 256gB flash drive works flawlessly on my QU16.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2019, 12:12:56 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 24 queries.