ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JBL MP418S Woofer played out...  (Read 3350 times)

Michael A. Yates

JBL MP418S Woofer played out...
« on: July 18, 2014, 01:37:49 AM »

I have 2 JBL MP418s Subwoofers in a small rig for small gigs. One of the woofers in one of the subs has crapped out on me. I pulled it out of the box and I see the model number on the woofer is 2241GPL. I tried looking for a replacement  on the internet but I could not find anything but the recone kit so I turned to the good ol flee bay. I found a JBL 2241H which is a 8 ohm version of the same woofer it appears? My big question is if I replace the blown 2241GPL (4 ohm) with a 2241H (8 ohm) would they sound close to the same thing? I run both subs off of a Crown CE4000 one sub per channel. The amp will do 1200 watts at 4 ohms vs 600 watts at 8 ohms if that makes a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: JBL MP418S Woofer played out...
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 09:48:14 AM »

I have 2 JBL MP418s Subwoofers in a small rig for small gigs. One of the woofers in one of the subs has crapped out on me. I pulled it out of the box and I see the model number on the woofer is 2241GPL. I tried looking for a replacement  on the internet but I could not find anything but the recone kit so I turned to the good ol flee bay. I found a JBL 2241H which is a 8 ohm version of the same woofer it appears? My big question is if I replace the blown 2241GPL (4 ohm) with a 2241H (8 ohm) would they sound close to the same thing? I run both subs off of a Crown CE4000 one sub per channel. The amp will do 1200 watts at 4 ohms vs 600 watts at 8 ohms if that makes a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Contact Prosound Service in Braintree, Mass.  The are authorized JBL sales and repair station and should be able either recone your speaker or recommend a suitable replacement.  You could also contact JBL.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 01:59:07 PM »

My big question is if I replace the blown 2241GPL (4 ohm) with a 2241H (8 ohm) would they sound close to the same thing? The amp will do 1200 watts at 4 ohms vs 600 watts at 8 ohms if that makes a difference.
Other than the 3 dB difference in sensitivity and ultimate output (which may be less when the 4 ohm coil warms up) there will be little difference in sound. If you turn down the input sensitivity on the 4 ohm unit by 2-3 dB there would be little difference at all, other than less output.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 01:59:07 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 22 queries.