ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Tiny Speakers for Audio Support for Smaller Groups  (Read 7944 times)

Gerry Seymour

• My Professional Website
Tiny Speakers for Audio Support for Smaller Groups
« on: June 29, 2014, 07:53:15 PM »

I am looking at some of the (very) small speaker/personal PA systems for small groups. I've seen some really cheap (in both senses, I assume) products from some of the usual suspects, as well as some less-cheap versions. Has anyone had any experience at all with the waist-worn (and similar size) products for supporting a single presenter's voice?

Here, I'm talking about groups under 75 (at larger sizes, my training client provides audio support). This is primarily to allow me to talk a little softer - my voice is normally loud enough to talk to up to 80-100 people without support, without much issue. The problem here is that I often speak for 6 hours a day, up to 4 days in a row. That can create a lot of strain, especially if the room is cold (had that last week with a group of about 40, and strained my voice).

My limitation here is that I'm trying to keep all of my gear in two bags (for flight).  I carry one suitcase with all of my clothing, etc. for a week. My other bag is currently an 18" catalog case, which contains all of my training equipment (notes, cables, gaffer tape, and all the other little sundries for the day of the seminar). I don't have much room, but would like to add a speaker to what I carry (I currently only carry a speaker when driving, as my current solution won't fit in my suitcase with my clothes).

What I hope to find is something to keep in my training gear as a standard piece of kit. I'd love it if it has some sort of integrated mixer (at least input for mic and PC), but I can always pick up a tiny mixer if needed. IK Multimedia's iLoud is currently high on my list to replace my current speaker (a GoSpeak Pro), but I'd like to also find something smaller, which would also travel as a backup when I'm driving. I've seen tiny "tour guide" models by VocoPro, Nady, and the other cheapo providers. Has anyone seen/heard/used any of these?
Gerry Seymour

Professional Trainer and Speaker
(with lighting/audio experience)

anything that moves will eventually die

anything that doesn't move is probably already dead - James Feenstra

JayWolf

• GNS Audio
Re: Tiny Speakers for Audio Support for Smaller Groups
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 03:35:40 AM »

For price and size Mipro might be worth looking at. I've seen them around quite a bit, seem to sound half decent too
Sonic Perfection
gnsaudio.com.au

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 12:27:18 PM »

I use a Galaxy Micro Spot for this very purpose.  It's just enough to keep me from having to overwork the vocal cords.  I see they now have some wireless solutions as well.

http://www.galaxyaudio.com/HotSpots.php
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Robert Healey

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 09:23:23 AM »

The EV ZxA1 is probably a little bigger than you are looking for, but it would be perfect for the situation you describe. If you can carry another bag, EV makes a bag with a shoulder strap that holds two Zx1s.

Gerry Seymour

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2014, 07:47:06 AM »

Sorry for the lack of responses, folks. I actually forgot I'd posted this. I came in today to post exactly this question, and "Hey! Look!!"

Thanks for the help.
Gerry Seymour

Gerry Seymour

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2014, 07:54:07 AM »

I use a Galaxy Micro Spot for this very purpose.  It's just enough to keep me from having to overwork the vocal cords.  I see they now have some wireless solutions as well.

That certainly is small, and should do what I need. Thanks!

Have you heard their Nano model? I'm wondering if it would be sufficient for me. Maybe I can demo one somewhere...
Gerry Seymour

Gerry Seymour

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2014, 07:58:41 AM »

The EV ZxA1 is probably a little bigger than you are looking for, but it would be perfect for the situation you describe. If you can carry another bag, EV makes a bag with a shoulder strap that holds two Zx1s.

That is bigger than I can work with for airline travel (another bag is simply not in the plans), but looks like a good solution for when I'm driving. Thanks!
Gerry Seymour

Gerry Seymour

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2014, 08:10:02 AM »

Update: It looks like Galaxy has discontinued the powered version of the Micro Spot. That's a shame. Now, for a powered option, it's either the Nano or the Hotspot.
Gerry Seymour

George Friedman-Jimenez

• NYC
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2014, 12:53:34 PM »

I haven't heard the Meyer MM4-XP but noticed it on the Meyer website and have thought about uses other than distributed sound. Has anyone had any experience with this speaker in a portable application?

http://www.meyersound.com/sites/default/files/mm-4xp_ds_b.pdf
https://www.meyersound.com/sites/default/files/mps-481_ds_b.pdf

It is very light for a Meyer speaker (5 lb with power supply) but requires an external PSU MPS-481.

Gerry Seymour

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2014, 09:50:45 PM »

I haven't heard the Meyer MM4-XP but noticed it on the Meyer website and have thought about uses other than distributed sound. Has anyone had any experience with this speaker in a portable application?

http://www.meyersound.com/sites/default/files/mm-4xp_ds_b.pdf
https://www.meyersound.com/sites/default/files/mps-481_ds_b.pdf

It is very light for a Meyer speaker (5 lb with power supply) but requires an external PSU MPS-481.

That looks pretty interesting. Even with the external PSU, it's pretty small. A bit heavier than some consumer-grade options, but pretty small. It would be interesting to get the U-bracket and adapt it to be mounted on a mic stand or photographer's tripod.
Gerry Seymour

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2014, 09:50:45 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 25 queries.