ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Ground on LED Par Can  (Read 10836 times)

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
Re: Ground on LED Par Can
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2014, 02:30:19 PM »

I can't see any harm in grounding. If the manufacturer grounded it, it might raise their cost by seventeen cents, while their margin is thirteen cents.

Profit on items with a lot of competition tends to be heavily weighted to the retail side. There usually isn't much in the manufacturing. That's why there's a race to the bottom in quality.

To really know what's happening, I suggest you power it up and measure voltage potential between the Par chassis and ground. Now, don't get excited if you measure 60 volts, 'cause your iPhone plugged into a non-grounded wall-wart charger will measure half the line voltage normally, but at very low amperage. Then using a pair of alligator clips, insert a 10,000 ohm / 1/2 watt resistor between the chassis and the EGC (Earth Ground Connection). If it doesn't drag the chassis voltage close to zero (within a few volts) then it's definitely leaking too much current. However, if the voltage stays up around 120 volts  or so, then they have a serious problem with possible deathtrap scenarios stated above. And yes, one light going leaky could energize the entire lighting truss if it's not properly bonded via an EGC or at least connected to building steel. Lighting techs are even more in danger from a small electric shock since you're often climbing around on ladders or on a catwalk to adjust these lights. It only takes a little shock to startle you and send you on a headlong dive to the floor. I'm going on record as recommending "grounding" these fixture chassis to the incoming power EGC wire. It would only take one leaky transformer in a bunch of lights to ruin your whole day.   

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2014, 05:16:17 PM »

I don't think I would hesitate to ground this.  If you clamp it onto a grounded truss it will have its casing connected to ground anyway so I can't see any reason not to connect it internally.

Steve.

Kevin Graf

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2014, 05:17:27 PM »

Code says "any metallic parts that are likely to become energized must be grounded."
There must be a ton of fine print to deal with when we get into the no man's land between the NEC and the UL codes.

But as to the Class II appliances, I found this, but it's written in British.

Double insulated or class 2 electrical appliances are products that have been designed in a way so as not to require a safety connection to electrical earth (These products must NOT have a safety connection to Earth).

http://www.double-insulated.com/
Speedskater

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2014, 05:27:03 PM »

but it's written in British.

We call it English!!

Steve.

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2014, 07:20:49 PM »

Does cord have a 3 prong edison on it?  Just curious-because if double insulated and manufacturing cost is the issue, surely a 2 wire cord with 2 wire plug would be a fraction cheaper?
Steve Swaffer

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2014, 07:26:41 PM »

Another thought... I would find it hard to believe that UL would list a product with a grounded plug but no actual ground connection internally. Even if the item is double-insulated so the ground is not needed, installing a cordset with a grounding prong and conductor without terminating that conductor internally means that the cordset is not being implemented as intended and is therefore probably in some violation of UL's requirements.

UL's website has a form: "If you would like to report a safety-related concern with a product bearing a UL Mark or an advertising concern, please complete and submit the form below."

http://www.ul.com/global/eng/pages/offerings/perspectives/consumer/fieldreport1/

Maybe you should report it.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2014, 09:26:52 PM »

Of course, if it is not listed, probably not much UL can do about it?
Steve Swaffer

jasonfinnigan

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2014, 10:11:27 PM »

It's not UL Listed nor is it on the MF  listing.

Yes, it is a three prong cord. This is what the company said when I said something about the danger of it.

"Dear friend,
Sorry to bother you, and kindly tell you that I had consult our technician for this issue, and according to his reply that if the the unit grounding is disconnected it will not affect the normal using, so please do not worry."

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2014, 10:30:22 PM »

Even if the unit has a UL sticker, I can by those by the sheet on alibaba....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2014, 07:01:52 AM »

"Dear friend,
Sorry to bother you, and kindly tell you that I had consult our technician for this issue, and according to his reply that if the the unit grounding is disconnected it will not affect the normal using, so please do not worry."

So is this language British or English or BS?  ;D

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2014, 07:01:52 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 22 queries.