ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ringing Out  (Read 24141 times)

Bob Burke

• 90 dB
Re: Ringing Out
« Reply #60 on: June 28, 2014, 05:05:35 PM »

Bob,

You have helped me a great deal. If I ever get to Boston maybe I could buy you a beer. I played in Boston once, a lifetime ago, at a place called “The Sword In The Stone”. The “dressing room” was a catwalk suspended over the boiler room! ;D

Thanks again.

Bob

Bob Burke

• 90 dB
« Reply #61 on: June 30, 2014, 09:20:45 AM »

Just a quick follow-up. Played last night, couldn't put the speakers behind us because of an overhang at the front of the stage, but used the advice given here on ringing out the system. Big difference! PFL'd my mics for good gain staging, kept my main master faders lower, left my channel strip EQ's flat, and had tons of headroom - and no feedback! ;D

Used a single CM12V for a monitor, and my bass player complained that her vocals were too loud in the monitor! Woo-hoo! Never had that problem before. :D

It was nice playing four sets without worrying about feedback, and the sound was great. Thanks again to all who helped.

Regards,

Bob

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #62 on: June 30, 2014, 12:31:23 PM »

Just a quick follow-up. Played last night, couldn't put the speakers behind us because of an overhang at the front of the stage, but used the advice given here on ringing out the system. Big difference! PFL'd my mics for good gain staging, kept my main master faders lower, left my channel strip EQ's flat, and had tons of headroom - and no feedback! ;D

Used a single CM12V for a monitor, and my bass player complained that her vocals were too loud in the monitor! Woo-hoo! Never had that problem before. :D

It was nice playing four sets without worrying about feedback, and the sound was great. Thanks again to all who helped.

Regards,

Bob

Bob-

Glad things are working out.  Keep experimenting. :)

Part of what is fun about your situation is that when I start typing a reply and say "do this, try that, listen for..." a dozen exceptions start coming to mind that negate the advice I'm about to post.  So little direct advice is universally applicable, that's why I tend to be long on concepts and short on specifics.

Musicians tend to be results-oriented when it comes to sound... if something works today, it will be done every time even if whatever the something is, is inappropriate tomorrow.  When weekend sound guys do this I call it voodoo.  It's how EQs get hacked to death, gain structure gets whacked and inadvisable loudspeaker delays become permanent.  Sometimes it's best to start over, tabula rasa.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #62 on: June 30, 2014, 12:31:23 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 25 queries.