ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Ringing Out  (Read 24139 times)

jasonfinnigan

Re: Ringing Out
« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2014, 02:25:17 PM »

No building, wall, or open space can alter the physical and electronic composition of your *system*.
This!!!!! The only exception to this would be with new speakers you'll generally want to brake them in before tuning the system with DSP, as the cone, coil and magnet start to move better.

I usually do a lock out on the DSP to keep people from doing that, as I've had many people think OH, I just want to increase the gain of the sub woofers etc (which changes the crossover point, but that's another story.)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2014, 03:20:53 PM »

This!!!!! The only exception to this would be with new speakers you'll generally want to brake them in before tuning the system with DSP, as the cone, coil and magnet start to move better.

I usually do a lock out on the DSP to keep people from doing that, as I've had many people think OH, I just want to increase the gain of the sub woofers etc (which changes the crossover point, but that's another story.)

If the magnets move during break in, you done broke 'em, boy. ;)

We discussed the concept of loudspeaker break in on the Classic LAB or Sub forum a few months ago.  The eventual consensus was that any form of 'special' operation is no more beneficial than simply playing some music and that break in as a concept is not seen as a necessity by transducer engineers.

YMMV, etc.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2014, 04:29:26 PM »

Then you didn't read my posts.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Bob Burke

• 90 dB
« Reply #53 on: June 25, 2014, 04:55:49 PM »

Then you didn't read my posts.

Bob -

I did read your posts. Thanks for the advice, it is much appreciated.

Regards,

Bob

Mike Kirby

« Reply #54 on: June 25, 2014, 04:57:08 PM »

You just answered your own question!

Steve.

Sorry it was a rhetorical question :)

John Esposito

« Reply #55 on: June 27, 2014, 09:16:11 AM »

I have the exact same speakers and  monitors in my smaller PA setup and love them. I usually use the frequency response charts as a base to set my eq and then eq to taste from there. The PR12's have a significant dip in the eq starting at 600 Hz to 3k in their chart so I boost between 1k and 2k to bring clarity to my monitors. I also put a piece of wood under them to point them at my ears.

The Yammy's are fairly flat but again I set the eq to do a reverse of their chart to set the system flat then eq to taste. Here are the charts:

http://assets.peavey.com/literature/manuals/pr12p.pdf - see page 13

http://www.fullcompass.com/common/files/19541-s112v_en_om_d0.pdf - see page 32

Bob Burke

• 90 dB
« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2014, 10:29:21 AM »

I have the exact same speakers and  monitors in my smaller PA setup and love them. I usually use the frequency response charts as a base to set my eq and then eq to taste from there. The PR12's have a significant dip in the eq starting at 600 Hz to 3k in their chart so I boost between 1k and 2k to bring clarity to my monitors. I also put a piece of wood under them to point them at my ears.

The Yammy's are fairly flat but again I set the eq to do a reverse of their chart to set the system flat then eq to taste. Here are the charts:

http://assets.peavey.com/literature/manuals/pr12p.pdf - see page 13

http://www.fullcompass.com/common/files/19541-s112v_en_om_d0.pdf - see page 32

Thanks for the info John. I noticed the dip in the PR-12's, but hadn't looked at the chart. I will try the wood shim thing when I get the speakers back from the shop. My QSC PLX1804 puts out 800 watts at 4 ohms, and I believe that I blew up my tweeters when I daisy-chained them. >:(

Moron, no? ;D

John Esposito

« Reply #57 on: June 27, 2014, 03:21:43 PM »

Thanks for the info John. I noticed the dip in the PR-12's, but hadn't looked at the chart. I will try the wood shim thing when I get the speakers back from the shop. My QSC PLX1804 puts out 800 watts at 4 ohms, and I believe that I blew up my tweeters when I daisy-chained them. >:(

Moron, no? ;D

We've all been there at one time or another with live sound.

I think if you give the PR12's a chance by boosting those frequencies they will really come alive and you won't need to crank them that high at all. I couldn't believe the difference when I finally eq'd them correctly.

Bob Burke

• 90 dB
« Reply #58 on: June 28, 2014, 12:47:19 PM »

In re-reading this thread, I am amazed at the wealth of information and experience you gentlemen bring to the table. I am deeply in your debt.

We have an afternoon gig tomorrow in a small bar (our local), and I can't wait to try out all of these methods. Fortunately, we'll be loading in in the morning, so I'll have time to get it right. I've been doing  things wrong all along. ;D

Thanks again to all who contributed to this thread. You guys are the best!

Regards,

Bob

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #59 on: June 28, 2014, 02:40:43 PM »

Bob,
Not everything you do is wrong. everything you do is another step in the right direction on the path to learning how to be the best entertainer and sound provider you can be. Keep up the good work.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #59 on: June 28, 2014, 02:40:43 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 22 queries.