Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: BC218  (Read 39300 times)

Thad Kraus

Re: BC218
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2014, 09:24:17 PM »

Studio 60's? Perhaps I missed any press info on these.  Can you elaborate?

OK here's the deal.

The BC218 was finished and we got to play with it for about 30 minutes before it had to go on the truck to Vegas.  It is on the truck on its way back now.

A quick measurement (lots of bad conditions) shows the -3dB somewhere around 24Hz.  DO NOT hold me to that-I have to do real measurements to get real data first.

We don't know what the sensitivity is-but should be somewhere around the BC415.

Attached are some renderings of the various configurations that it could be used in.

There are 2 exits-and as long as one of them is closed off-it will work.

A block of 4 with the "eye" in the middle would provide a lot of forward directivity without having to use cancellation methods to get control.

We have A LOT of things going on right now and will get data/measurements as soon as we can.

The BC218 is a larger cabinet than the DBH218LC in a couple of dimensions and uses a different loading arrangement.

The DBH218LC is still around and depending on the intended application-it is still a viable option.

There is a "price" to be paid when you go low.  You lose output capability and the size has to get larger.

Not everybody needs to go low-but for those that do-it gets hard and this should be an answer.

Real measurements will show the results.

So be patient.

Everybody wants everything right now-but it takes time.

Most of the products we showed at the show were finished a day before we loaded the truck and were not heard by anybody but me before we setup at the show.  So we may (or may not) have a little "tweaking" to do before they are ready for sale.

The crossovers in the SBH cabinets (except the SBH10) and the Studio 60s all had prototype crossovers-so I need to get the actual boards designed and built before regular production.  This all takes time.

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2014, 09:28:27 PM »

Yes please elaborate....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2014, 07:44:40 AM »

The "studio 60s" were more of a "proof of concept" than an actual product-so to speak.

The idea was to try to get flat phase response across 3 pass bands-and Tom did it with almost 0° phase shift from 100hz-10Khz with a PASSIVE crossover.  So just 1 amp channel per cabinet and no digital "artifacts".

We don't know what the upper response is-since we can only measure to 24Khz and it was only a dB or so down at that point.

People in the demo room could not believe that we were not playing a sub during the demo of these boxes.

We will be taking the concept (and what we learned) and making a real product.

The one that was demoed was basically a SM60F that was modified a good bit (different woofers-ports sealed-different crossover etc)

We will need to make a different mold for the real product-we will use a different woofer scheme and the cabinet shape will change.

Tom is proud of what he achieved-but the product that was shown is simply a lot of work-and by redoing a few things we can reduce that work load a HUGE amount and get a better performing product than what was at the show.

So be patient----------
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

radulescu_paul_mircea

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2015, 05:59:26 AM »

So, time has passed. We all have been patient. Now it is time to tell us more,if you are kind, about how this sub works, measures and sounds. I have seen pictures with 4 of them on Facebook. How they would compare with 4*th812.? Also, I saw that people are using the bc415 but this one,not so many

Thanks,
Paul

People aren't rational. We're not thinking machines, we're - we're feeling machines that happen to think. Peter Watts

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
BC218
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2015, 08:55:06 AM »

4? Why not more?

Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

radulescu_paul_mircea

« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2015, 09:03:34 AM »

4? Why not more?

Oh,man!!!! That is some serious trouble you have there ;)

Pleas,tell more... Where is that? What amps you use? Why so many 0.o

People aren't rational. We're not thinking machines, we're - we're feeling machines that happen to think. Peter Watts

radulescu_paul_mircea

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2015, 09:04:29 AM »

Do you have more pictures?

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2015, 10:10:14 AM »

Oh,man!!!! That is some serious trouble you have there ;)

Pleas,tell more... Where is that? What amps you use? Why so many 0.o

This is in an open Air football stadium

How many double 18 subs would you use for seats of 700'ish away and a crowd of a bit under 100k people?
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

radulescu_paul_mircea

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2015, 10:52:50 AM »

Yes, I would have guessed it is a stadium. I have heard a pair of 415 and there is nowhere i could think you could have a permanent installation with 8... Or is it 16? :D
the thing is at Michigan state you used two stacks of three 812, and i was wondering about comparing them. I will do it on paper and on Direct,but in real life you can describe better the sensations.
I've been to an U2 concert last year and for 75k people they had around 400 speakers. They had sick SPL but the sound quality was not that good and very inconsistent. I really love the work you are doing at DSL, I admire you sincerity and I am learning all I can about your products. In the near future I will use them in a club if everything goes as planed (it never realy does..)

With respect,
Paul

radulescu_paul_mircea

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2015, 11:10:58 AM »

This weekend it is a fest in the town and they played some reggae, d&b,rock and other things. (Argatu-Morphina is an example). For bass they used 2 stacks of 3*3 118 subs with another stac of 8*218,all on the center of the stage for a space of 175' by 450' and around 5-8 k people. The same inconsistent poor quality sound, with no content under 30hz. The only place the bass was even and deep was in front of them (but there I would puke because of SPL) and 60-85 meters away. I would realy like to measure the site but I don't have a good mic now. I was courious how many subs from danley (and wich ones) could replace and best those. I am thinking that 6 415 would be better

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2015, 11:10:58 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 22 queries.