Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: BC218  (Read 39295 times)

Brandon Wright

BC218
« on: June 23, 2014, 05:46:50 PM »

Ok Ivan, spill the beans.

I was patiently waiting for a press release about the BC218. But, after you guys put up videos for the other products today, I'm succumbing to my impulsivity.   8)

So, how does the BC218 compare to say the dbh218lc that seems to have disappeared. Is this the reason the dbh218lc faded away? From the picture you posted it looks to be physically larger and intended to be used with a minimum of two boxes based on the mouth. Still using the 18sw115? Here is your chance to lay on the marketing spiel.

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
Re: BC218
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 09:21:05 PM »

Ok Ivan, spill the beans.

I was patiently waiting for a press release about the BC218. But, after you guys put up videos for the other products today, I'm succumbing to my impulsivity.   8)

So, how does the BC218 compare to say the dbh218lc that seems to have disappeared. Is this the reason the dbh218lc faded away? From the picture you posted it looks to be physically larger and intended to be used with a minimum of two boxes based on the mouth. Still using the 18sw115? Here is your chance to lay on the marketing spiel.
I doubt they have had a chance to AB these with DBH subs yet. 

These do make the LC variant subs obsolete, or nearly so.  If someone want to buy a pair of BC218s and ship them here, I'll AB with a pair of LC's. 

The LC subs are great in blocks of 8+.  I don't know how they compare SPL/dollar to the BC subs.

Last I heard Ivan did some preliminary measurements only on the BC subs, lack of time.

After Ivan has had time to measure them-  I'll bombard him with questions!

Caleb

Typed on a virtual keyboard. 

Experience is something you get right after you need it.

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2014, 09:38:11 PM »

I doubt they have had a chance to AB these with DBH subs yet. 

These do make the LC variant subs obsolete, or nearly so.  If someone want to buy a pair of BC218s and ship them here, I'll AB with a pair of LC's. 

The LC subs are great in blocks of 8+.  I don't know how they compare SPL/dollar to the BC subs.

Last I heard Ivan did some preliminary measurements only on the BC subs, lack of time.

After Ivan has had time to measure them-  I'll bombard him with questions!

Caleb

Typed on a virtual keyboard.

I would love to hear these in a real room or outdoors...you know...a situation where everything doesn't rattle and you can actually tell something about what you are listening to.
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 12:36:01 AM »

Caleb,

The BC-218 appears to be the same horn layout as the DBH 218 LC, other than the rounded, rather than trapezoidal exit shape, which allows a pair of cabinets to be used either in the 60 inch deep configuration or the 22.5 inch deep 120" wide "BC" (Boundary Control) mode without having to remove the optional front or side panel used on the DBH 218 LC.

If a single BC-218 was stood up 60" tall, it would probably have the same response as the DBH 218LC using the horn exit configuration on the 45" x 60" side. With no dual cabinet measurements of either cabinet posted thus far (I don't recall any spec sheets for the DBH 218LC), I won't guess which would be better, but I'd bet removing the panel on the 45" x 22.5" end of  your DBH 218LC cabinets would result in a very similar response to the BC-218, though it appears the bracing in the BC-218 may be designed for the dual configuration a bit better than the DBH 218LC.

It appears very little wood work would be required to convert the DBH 218LC to the BC-218 should you decide to expand on your inventory of DBH 218LC.

Art

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 08:02:26 AM »

OK here's the deal.

The BC218 was finished and we got to play with it for about 30 minutes before it had to go on the truck to Vegas.  It is on the truck on its way back now.

A quick measurement (lots of bad conditions) shows the -3dB somewhere around 24Hz.  DO NOT hold me to that-I have to do real measurements to get real data first.

We don't know what the sensitivity is-but should be somewhere around the BC415.

Attached are some renderings of the various configurations that it could be used in.

There are 2 exits-and as long as one of them is closed off-it will work.

A block of 4 with the "eye" in the middle would provide a lot of forward directivity without having to use cancellation methods to get control.

We have A LOT of things going on right now and will get data/measurements as soon as we can.

The BC218 is a larger cabinet than the DBH218LC in a couple of dimensions and uses a different loading arrangement.

The DBH218LC is still around and depending on the intended application-it is still a viable option.

There is a "price" to be paid when you go low.  You lose output capability and the size has to get larger.

Not everybody needs to go low-but for those that do-it gets hard and this should be an answer.

Real measurements will show the results.

So be patient.

Everybody wants everything right now-but it takes time.

Most of the products we showed at the show were finished a day before we loaded the truck and were not heard by anybody but me before we setup at the show.  So we may (or may not) have a little "tweaking" to do before they are ready for sale.

The crossovers in the SBH cabinets (except the SBH10) and the Studio 60s all had prototype crossovers-so I need to get the actual boards designed and built before regular production.  This all takes time.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2014, 12:13:21 PM »

We don't know what the sensitivity is-but should be somewhere around the BC415.

Attached are some renderings of the various configurations that it could be used in.

There are 2 exits-and as long as one of them is closed off-it will work.

A block of 4 with the "eye" in the middle would provide a lot of forward directivity without having to use cancellation methods to get control.

The BC218 is a larger cabinet than the DBH218LC in a couple of dimensions and uses a different loading arrangement.
Ivan,

Thanks for posting the renderings, it appears the BC218 is 60" x 60" x 30", over 27 cubic feet larger than the DBH218LC, that's a whole lotta shakin' goin' on :^). 

1) There appears to be a 30" x 60" exit, and a semicircle ("eye") exit on the 60" x 60" side-  what do you mean by "There are 2 exits-and as long as one of them is closed off-it will work" ?

2) Wouldn't there be two "eyes" (one over the other) in the middle of a block of four with the 60" x 60" sides facing forward ?

3) Is the center cabinet with two "eyes" in the triple vertical stack going to be offered as a variant ?

Art
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 12:47:50 PM by Art Welter »

Brandon Wright

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2014, 12:38:11 PM »

Based on their previous naming scheme, I would assume whatever it is is an 18. But, the 30" dimension is a bit suspect.

In the renderings, when two are stacked deep (60x60x60 cube) the mouth is considerably larger that when they are in the shallow configeration (120x60x30). I would have to ASSume that this would have an effect on the output/extension?

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2014, 03:21:18 PM »

Ivan,

Thanks for posting the renderings, it appears the BC218 is 60" x 60" x 30", over 27 cubic feet larger than the DBH218LC, that's a whole lotta shakin' goin' on :^). 

1) There appears to be a 30" x 60" exit, and a semicircle ("eye") exit on the 60" x 60" side-  what do you mean by "There are 2 exits-and as long as one of them is closed off-it will work" ?

2) Wouldn't there be two "eyes" (one over the other) in the middle of a block of four with the 60" x 60" sides facing forward ?

3) Is the center cabinet with two "eyes" in the triple vertical stack going to be offered as a variant ?

Art
One exit is a "half eye" that is located on the 60x60 side.

The other exit is a square exit that is located on the 60x30 side.

If both exits are "open" as if it were flown as a single cabinet in free space-the the exit area would be to large for the horn.

If they are facing each other (as with the "eye" configuration (120x60") towards the audience, or stacked (60x60 facing the audience) there is no need to block off the exit as it is part of the "rest of the horn" for the other cabinet.

The "triple stack" actually has a separate cabinet that has an open side (60x30) and a "half eye" on the top and bottom.

This is done strickely for looks and you could put as many as you want in the middle.

But you could also just stack pairs of cabinets so the 'special" one is not needed and there should no noticable difference in performance

A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2014, 04:43:44 PM »

The "triple stack" actually has a separate cabinet that has an open side (60x30) and a "half eye" on the top and bottom.

This is done strickely for looks and you could put as many as you want in the middle.
Is DSL planning to sell the BC218 with no grill covers ?
If so, will there be internal garbage and pest screens further inside to protect the drivers?

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2014, 05:29:14 PM »

Is DSL planning to sell the BC218 with no grill covers ?
If so, will there be internal garbage and pest screens further inside to protect the drivers?
We are looking into putting grills further back inside the cabinet-so as to not "block the view".

Again-this is the prototype-and we don't have measurements yet-so we are not sure if we need to make any other changes.

Trust me-I know what can happen when garbage gets inside horns-I used to have the Servodrive SDL-5's-and spent a lot of money getting them fixed due to "garbage in the horn".

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2014, 05:29:14 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 24 queries.