ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 500 - 600 MHz Wireless DMX?  (Read 3934 times)

Bob Charest

• Lab Lounge
  • Westbrook ME, USA
    • Bob Charest Band
500 - 600 MHz Wireless DMX?
« on: June 22, 2014, 12:25:22 PM »

Hi,

In an effort to ensure stable operation, I'd love to find wireless DMX transmitters & receivers in the 500MHz range. That way, I could use a wireless coordination method and avoid interference issues. We currently use a 2.4GHz wireless setup, but have occasional interference issues in crowded access point environments.

If anyone know of equipment like this, could you please let me know? I've searched the web and have only found 2.4 and 5 GHz versions (and the odd Chinese-made 900MHz stuff.) The 5GHz wirelessdmx stuff might be a solution, but I'd love to go another way.

Thanks!
Bob

Cailen Waddell

Re: 500 - 600 MHz Wireless DMX?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2014, 12:35:42 PM »

I can't offer anything in 500 to 600 but these guys http://www.theatrewireless.com
Have quality 900 MHz stuff.

I don't use 900 because that is where our wireless coms are.  Also, outside, our traffic engineering dept uses 900mhz data links on some of the traffic light synchronization so it can be iffy with our com and the traffic guys.

I will say, we use city theatrical 2.4 and have never had a problem even in very congested environments. But I also put Yagi antennas on my receivers and point them at the transmitters....

I would be curious what sort of environments you encounter issues with the 2.4 stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob Charest

• Lab Lounge
  • Westbrook ME, USA
    • Bob Charest Band
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2014, 01:09:08 PM »

I can't offer anything in 500 to 600 but these guys http://www.theatrewireless.com
Have quality 900 MHz stuff... I would be curious what sort of environments you encounter issues with the 2.4 stuff
Hi Cailen,
Yes, City Theatrical gear is top-notch for sure.

When we play in venues with saturated 2.4GHz RF environments (many access points,) then guests arrive with 2.4GHz phones the fun begins. There is one small venue in particular where the 2.4GHz environment is very congested.

I've thought of 5GHz as a possible solution, but better antennas and ensuring line-of-sight would certainly be a step in the right direction.

My hope was that I could add the appropriate 500MHz RF characteristics for a wireless DMX setup and then use my IAS software to avoid problems altogether.

Best regards,
Bob

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2014, 01:24:09 PM »

What about something like this.... Unconventional.... http://www.blink-fx.com/wireless-dmx-controllers.html

Bob Charest

• Lab Lounge
  • Westbrook ME, USA
    • Bob Charest Band
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2014, 01:36:50 PM »

What about something like this.... Unconventional.... http://www.blink-fx.com/wireless-dmx-controllers.html...

That's interesting - I'll check it out!

jasonfinnigan

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2014, 02:37:39 PM »

What about something like this.... Unconventional.... http://www.blink-fx.com/wireless-dmx-controllers.html

Stable and IR don't go together. You'd have better luck with the 2.4 or 5ghz. or just hardwire it. Keep in mind Artnet is bi-directional so you could implement some complex setups with per-exisiting network infrastructure if you wanted too. I've never tried Artnet over a stable wifi but it's very low bandwidth. Latency will be your biggest issues. However if you get some entrpise grade point 2 point wireless devices ubiquiti I think it might work well. in there lower end Unifi line they have some outdoor APs that might work. Also the Airfiber would be a good setup it has to be aimed however, it's not a stick up and go wifi, but I've used these with great success in mission critical communications before even when place directly be side celluar network antennas on towers.

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2014, 03:04:32 PM »

I've often though about whether airfiber could run Dante for certain applications....

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2014, 03:04:32 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 24 queries.