ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Pulling power for ONE PA, from two different sources?  (Read 24824 times)

Thomas Metz

Pulling power for ONE PA, from two different sources?
« on: June 21, 2014, 12:18:09 PM »

I am an AV professional, but in my travels I have never had a problem like this because I am always grabbing power from one structure. I am looking for input before I even think about hooking up.

I am doing an outdoor fireworks show in a neighborhood in about a week. I have been allowed to grab power from several houses on site.

Problem is:
I have one house, that will only let me have access to ONE 15 amp outlet / circuit. This is no where big enough.
I have another house about 100' away that will also give me ONE 15 amp outlet / circuit.

Current draw is going to force to to consider plugging two larger amps into house ONE, and plug the other two smaller ones, and my DSP gear into house TWO.

I know that I will have at least some ground differential between the two homes... will this cause me any problems other than "maybe some noise"?

Keep in mind all the amps are sharing earth in ONE rack, so the two houses will in theory have shared potential on ground.

Any thoughts for the newbie?

Thank you

Kevin Graf

Re: Pulling power for ONE PA, from two different sources?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2014, 12:31:00 PM »

Will you be using a balanced analog interconnect system from one location to the other?
Do you have a DMM meter?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 12:33:04 PM by Kevin Graf »
Speedskater

Thomas Metz

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 01:13:13 PM »

Will you be using a balanced analog interconnect system from one location to the other?
Do you have a DMM meter?

I for speakers / amps, I will be running four JBL cabs from 2 Crown CTs1200's amps AND 2 sub cabs from a Crown XTi AND a set of 70v horns off a QSC CX class V series amp

I only have two sources, an AUX and a single Shure ULX wireless.

FOH,
all I/O's will be to/from a Biamp Flex DSP, with a wrls router so I can adjust sound in real time anywhere in the crowd via my laptop.
My back-up is a POD DI to a  Mackie VLZ P3 console straight to the amps obviously with a LOT less control (i would have to loose the 70V horns, because, no x-overs)

Yes, my amp racks will be sitting about 5 feet apart and be connected with analog balanced XLRs. I will be running ext cords to get the power to one general area (i have no choice)
I actually thought about putting the amps in separate racks, and then using a WRLs mic system to pass signal (zero physical connection) but I don't have enough tx/rx systems laying around.
I also have though about using cobra net, but again, I am missing one of the Biamp I/O parts that I would need to make that happen.

And yes... I have a fluke and I do understand how to use it :)

So, to make sure the picture is clear...

Two racks.
Rack ONE has : a few rack/service lights, DSP & wireless.  It will be fed from house ONE
Rack TWO has: all my amps. The two CTS1200,s will be fed from house TWO, where as the QSC and my XTI, will be fed from house ONE.
The two racks will be side-by-side, connected with a 6P snake, 3 pin XLR, Analog balanced.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2014, 01:21:09 PM »

There are serious liability issues in this situation, both with the homes and long cable runs presenting tripping/access hazards.  If ANYTHING at all goes wrong, you're on the hook for a minimum of two properties. 
don't go there.

You're MUCH better off with a generator.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2014, 01:23:09 PM »

There are serious liability issues in this situation, both with the homes and long cable runs presenting tripping/access hazards.  If ANYTHING at all goes wrong, you're on the hook for a minimum of two properties. 
don't go there.

You're MUCH better off with a generator.

This.  Right.  Here.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2014, 01:31:05 PM »

Thanks, Tim.  I could sense you breathing down my neck as I was typing.

This makes me think of that great line, "You feel lucky, punk?".

DR
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 01:59:56 PM by dick rees »
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Thomas Metz

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2014, 02:04:43 PM »

Ok, It is a closed event in my neighborhood. I am doing the job for free, with zero connection to the company i work for....

Take a look at the picture.

The area inside the inner red circle is 100% off limits (barricaded off), that is where the large fireworks are set up. The fireworks crew is the only people allowed. The outer red circle is 100% roped off.  That is where they set up a few smaller fireworks. That is also where I set up. This large area is about over 150 yards and no one except me and the fireworks crew are let in the area.

The Fireworks guys have 6 staff who's only job is to "watch the line", along with several police officers... And the actual pyrotechnics guys once the show starts.  NO ONE can get to, trip on, knock over my gear. 100% safe. I have a better chance of one of my cabs catching on fire from a low deploying device, then anything else.....

MY FOH is the blue circle (in the red circle).  My speakers are represented with "half A$$" triangles (also in the red circle). The ONLY place I come anywhere near the public is where I cross the walking path with electricity.

I have done this event for several years (with a smaller rig). And the fireworks guys have a city officer to stand watch in the area on the right (where my cables cross).

For this event I run white jacket speaker cable and hiVis power cords,  so anyone can easily see it when it gets a little dark. And again, I use bright yellow cable trays, where my cords will cross the only space where pedestrians my come in contact with it.

The home owners that are supplying power are part of the home owners association, they have zero problems with me running cable in their yards (plugged in, tied up under their decks, short distance overhead to a fence, tied to the fence)... then it leaves the private property and is in tray, until it hits the "red zone"...

But, yes,... I understand there is SOME liability but my only concern is the way I am proposing to connect... not the wires or anything else.

Thank you for you consideration and input...

Thomas Metz

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2014, 02:06:39 PM »

OH, and I am "as a person" insured for 2 million in personal liability.. not that it matters... but just an FYI....

Tom Bourke

• http://www.cwalv.com
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2014, 02:13:13 PM »

Another reason not to pull power from different houses in a neighborhood is the potential for VERY high voltages between houses.  A failure in the power company system could put thousands of volts between houses. Get one of the good inverter type of generators and bill them for the rental.
I have a mild form of Dyslexia that affects my ability to spell.  I do use spell checking to help but it does not always work.  My form of Dyslexia does not affect my reading.  Dyslexics of the world untie! <a href="http://www.cwalv.com" target="_blank">http://www.cwalv.com</a>

Chris Jensen

• Los Angeles
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2014, 02:23:25 PM »

Surely someone in one of those houses has a 220V circuit for a dryer or range they can not use for a few hours?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2014, 02:23:25 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 25 queries.