ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: QU-24 update  (Read 19043 times)

John Halliburton

• Still has hair and white pointy beard...
QU-24 update
« on: June 21, 2014, 10:39:25 AM »

Had my second gig with the QU-24 last night.  A bunch of well known local Irish musicians, some I've known for thirty years.

And for the second time, got compliments about how great the monitor sound was.  I'm still attributing this to the full parametrics and variable HPF on every channel.  Gates and compression were not in use.

I should however, just come out and say that it must be the preamps. ;>)

I also recorded last night's gig, multitrack to a USB hard drive.  Pretty easy to do, I have to admit.  I noticed something that took a while to figure out-I could hear hf hash of the drive working bleeding into the house speakers.  Finally started running through each channel on PAFL with the headphones, and discovered it was the ST3 channel picking it up-I had the trim up pretty high, as I wasn't driving my iphone output very high.  Once I turned that down, the noise disappeared.

I'm enjoying the new mixer a lot.  Picked up the second ever R&R Cases product made for a QU-24.  Yes, it is forest green. 

Best regards,

John

« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 03:59:17 PM by John Halliburton »

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
Re: QU-24 update
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2014, 12:11:52 AM »

That's a great looking rig John, and I like the green. Road Ready?
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2014, 12:23:03 AM »

That's a great looking rig John, and I like the green. Road Ready?

Nope. R&R Cases from Chicago.  The were/are the OEM woodworker for EV's tour products as well as case builders extraordinaire.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2014, 04:15:04 AM »

I see it's not a big deal for an old road warrior to use tape for channel markers. Kids today, all hung up on digital words you can't read.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Mike Christy

• Southern Maine
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2014, 08:04:30 AM »

I just ordered a QU-24 from Mike Pyle - prior to reading your post John - so I feel much better buying sight unheard having positive comments from you. I'm going to miss my ole 01V96 workhorse I think...

I think Mike may have cases available too.

Did you use the ipad app?

Mike

John Halliburton

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2014, 10:35:41 AM »

I just ordered a QU-24 from Mike Pyle - prior to reading your post John - so I feel much better buying sight unheard having positive comments from you. I'm going to miss my ole 01V96 workhorse I think...

I think Mike may have cases available too.

Did you use the ipad app?

Mike

Mike,

I think you'll find the workflow a bit more intuitive on the QU-24, and certainly the fact there's parametrics, graphics, comps, gates, delay, etc. on darn near every input/output to be very nice.  No "hidden" double clicks of buttons to send a particular mix to faders either.  I'm developing a two handed mix approach, where my right hand is on the master section, able to reach all the mix and fx buttons easily then adjust master fader accordingly.  Left hand handles channel stuff. 

As for the wireless setup, yes, I plan to do this, just haven't done so yet.  The R&R Cases set up has the mixer lying with it's surface parallel to the case top/bottom as you can see, giving a nice rectangular volume underneath-I plan to build a "sidecar" that will house the power cord, Littlite, USB hard drive, and the wireless router.  I'm hoping to make it so I can pull it out of the case, and set it next to the right side of the mixer with the hard drive in a slot sitting with it's cable pointing up, so it's an easy reach over to the USB jack on the top of the mixer.  Hoping to design something eloquent for the wireless router too.  I'll probably pass on a cup holder in the layout. ;>)

Bob,

R&R Cases, "The World's Toughest": www.rrcases.com

Pretty much all custom, made to order, although they do try to keep the heavy duty fiberglassed 1/4x1/2 fiberglassed cable trunks on hand.

I've been dealing with them since the late 80's, Intersonics, then Servodrive/Sound Physics Labs used to have the larger horn cabinet designs built there, while I built subassemblies and smaller cabinets in house.  For all my main system, the cases are all R&R.  My first 10u rack from them is 25 years old and still going strong.

I'm also glad A&H decided to not go with a digital scribble strip on the QU series-it makes no sense at this price point, and I agree, some are tough to read.

Mike-call R&R, get Bob on extension 16, and talk about a case. 

Best regards,

John

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2014, 03:34:42 PM »

John,

Would there be room in that R&R case to pack an AR2412 underneath the mixer?
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

John Halliburton

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2014, 06:19:08 PM »

John,

Would there be room in that R&R case to pack an AR2412 underneath the mixer?

I don't think so, it looks a little  big for the space, but A&H doesn't have dimensions listed in the documents for the AR2412 to verify this.

If someone has them post here, but I'll email A&H to ask. 

As R&R only does made to order work, I'd think it would be a simple matter to alter the height of the case and make it fit.

Best regards,

John

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2014, 07:13:55 PM »

I don't think so, it looks a little  big for the space, but A&H doesn't have dimensions listed in the documents for the AR2412 to verify this.

If someone has them post here, but I'll email A&H to ask. 

As R&R only does made to order work, I'd think it would be a simple matter to alter the height of the case and make it fit.

Best regards,

John

Since the AR2412 is a rack-mount piece, i'd think that you' be better off just using an appropriately sized road rack for the obvious reasons.  And although I use the empty space under my Qu-16 to carry headphones, router and various FOH toys, I'd think twice about adding the weight of a stage box to the mixer case. 

An AR84 wouldn't be too bad, though.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

John Halliburton

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2014, 10:32:00 PM »

Since the AR2412 is a rack-mount piece, i'd think that you' be better off just using an appropriately sized road rack for the obvious reasons.  And although I use the empty space under my Qu-16 to carry headphones, router and various FOH toys, I'd think twice about adding the weight of a stage box to the mixer case. 

An AR84 wouldn't be too bad, though.

My thought too.  One of the shallow rack cases from EWI should be ideal.

Best regards,

John

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2014, 10:32:00 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 25 queries.