ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Seeking bass guitar rig for larger stage, backline duty  (Read 12496 times)

Steve Oldridge

Re: Seeking bass guitar rig for larger stage, backline duty
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2014, 02:11:54 PM »

Sorry to be a contrarian, but there are many folkie or quieter bands doing fly dates and festivals that would not want an SVT, more specifically an 8x10 cabinet.  The tour I am on is one of them.  I will happily take an SVT head with a 1x15 cab though, so maybe that's one way to get more mileage out of the SVT head.
I'm using a Markbass Mini CMD 121p for all my bass gigs..  29 pounds, DI to PA, band is IEM.
Can carry my entire bass rig in one trip !!  :)

eric lenasbunt

• Bunt Backline Event Services, LLC
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2014, 03:58:14 PM »

And did you BIAS those tubes properly?

Yessir. I fortunately only have to retube this amp every few years.

eric lenasbunt

• Bunt Backline Event Services, LLC
Seeking bass guitar rig for larger stage, backline duty
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2014, 03:59:45 PM »

Sorry to be a contrarian, but there are many folkie or quieter bands doing fly dates and festivals that would not want an SVT, more specifically an 8x10 cabinet.  The tour I am on is one of them.  I will happily take an SVT head with a 1x15 cab though, so maybe that's one way to get more mileage out of the SVT head.

But the OP was asking about a good stock amp for "larger stage", not small folk stages.

Though you bring up a good argument for an SVT head and using 4x10 cabs

Spenser Hamilton

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2014, 04:13:19 PM »

But the OP was asking about a good stock amp for "larger stage", not small folk stages.

Though you bring up a good argument for an SVT head and using 4x10 cabs

Or a 4x10 and a 1x15, mix and match.
Technical Director - Chatham Capitol Theatre/Kiwanis Theatre

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2014, 04:51:08 PM »

thats what a "volume control" is for. i have a Marshall JCM800 2205 stack in my living room. i plug my bass and stratocaster into and practice.i have the volume control on about 1/4. its very quiet. yes , the volume control really does make it very quiet or very very very very LOUD !  ;D

Jason Raboin

• Klondike Sound
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2014, 03:01:27 PM »

thats what a "volume control" is for. i have a Marshall JCM800 2205 stack in my living room. i plug my bass and stratocaster into and practice.i have the volume control on about 1/4. its very quiet. yes , the volume control really does make it very quiet or very very very very LOUD !  ;D

Though we play large stages, an 8x10 would look ridiculous, as would a Marshall stack.
Jason Raboin
Partner
Klondike Sound

Brook Hovland

• DiA Events
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2014, 05:53:53 PM »

Though we play large stages, an 8x10 would look ridiculous, as would a Marshall stack.

THATS why we offer 410 cabinets!

Jerry Ziarko

« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2014, 10:10:59 PM »

Help me with decision making. I wish to purchase a new bass amp rig to be shared by multiple bands during music festivals. It will most often be used on a certain outdoor stage that is 30 feet X 60 feet, high ceiling, and no side walls. It will be DI'ed into the PA, but I cannot provide side-fills for the stage. Thus, I need something that is big and loud enough to be heard across stage. The less knobs the better, because I don't want first-time users fiddling away during festival changeovers. Budget is flexible, perhaps in the neighborhood of $2000 US. Any suggestions?

Personally, I would stay away from an 8X10 box. I think you would be asking for trouble as far as bass coming off of the stage. A 4X10 should be plenty.  A GK 1001RBII as someone mentioned, is a fine amp, but too many knobs that can affect gain stage. A simpler option for GK is a MB800 or MB800 Fusion. Tons of power in a 4 to 6 lb pkg with nice easy eq section. An Aguilar TH500 is a nice choice as far as keeping it simple. If you are going to go with Ampeg, I would recommend a SVT 4, or 5 Pro, and not a SVT Classic.  The classic is very heavy and has an all tube power section. While very nice, not necessary or practical. The 4 and 5 are hybrids and the 7 Pro is Ampegs delve into the class D category. Check over on Talkbass.com. There are several options where you can grab a very nice rig, and save some dollars. Post the same question there, and you'll have more answers than you know what to do with.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2014, 10:30:13 PM »

Keep in mind Jerry that the OP needs to meet riders. There are many rigs that may be practical and smaller, but not many will fill the rider bill.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Jerry Ziarko

« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2014, 11:08:41 PM »

Keep in mind Jerry that the OP needs to meet riders. There are many rigs that may be practical and smaller, but not many will fill the rider bill.

I did read his original post. My understanding was there were to be several acts (first time users) that most likely would not have riders although the promoter may. The beauty of the GK class D stuff is it is extremely powerful, and at a price point that he could carry a second for a spare, and still stay within his budget.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2014, 11:08:41 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 19 queries.