ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Tour Bus Shore Power  (Read 20100 times)

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
Re: Tour Bus Shore Power
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2014, 02:41:11 PM »

I'm now beginning a review of the proposed 100-amp/240-volt hookups for RVs. The really scary thing is that retired folks will be hooking these things up. I'm not sure of the connector style yet, but I'll post here once I get more intel. As many of you know, the standard 50-amp RV and Tour Bus hookup in the US is a NEMA 14-50 (stove plug).

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2014, 06:21:12 PM »

I'm now beginning a review of the proposed 100-amp/240-volt hookups for RVs. The really scary thing is that retired folks will be hooking these things up. I'm not sure of the connector style yet, but I'll post here once I get more intel. As many of you know, the standard 50-amp RV and Tour Bus hookup in the US is a NEMA 14-50 (stove plug).

I have zero knowledge of this proposed standard except what you just wrote. But if I were dictator, I would specify an interlocking switch, whereby the receptacle cannot be energized until the plug is fully inserted, and the plug cannot be removed until the receptacle is de-energized by the interlocking switch. This would contain any arc flash to inside the switch body. But how can we expect such a switch to live long and prosper when just any old joe is flipping it on and off with a full RV load?
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Mike Sokol

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2014, 07:11:18 PM »

I have zero knowledge of this proposed standard except what you just wrote. But if I were dictator, I would specify an interlocking switch, whereby the receptacle cannot be energized until the plug is fully inserted, and the plug cannot be removed until the receptacle is de-energized by the interlocking switch. This would contain any arc flash to inside the switch body. But how can we expect such a switch to live long and prosper when just any old joe is flipping it on and off with a full RV load?

I'm getting proposed code updates from a few RVIA members who are on an NEC subcommittee discussing the future of RV power. And yes, I'm with you that any connector for this application needs to have a dead-panel interlocking switch of some kind. But these committees are largely populated with manufacturer reps who are most interested in getting their own products on the code list. So we all know how that goes.... profit before logic sometimes.

Lyle Williams

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2014, 07:58:38 AM »

Camlocks.  All the same colour.  All reverse polarity.

Mike Sokol

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2014, 08:02:50 AM »

Camlocks.  All the same colour.  All reverse polarity.

Love it.... What are the odds of a correct hookup with four identical camlocks? Is it 1 in 16 (4 bits) or what?  ;D

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2014, 11:29:06 AM »

Love it.... What are the odds of a correct hookup with four identical camlocks? Is it 1 in 16 (4 bits) or what?  ;D

1:4! (that's mathematical notation for '4 factorial' -- 4*3*2*1=24) -- one in 24.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2014, 12:20:08 PM »

IMO  when working with the larger diesel generator I find that they come with a twist lock connector. 

I would prefer a twist lock to help prevent people from pulling out when they trip in the power cord.
This would prevent the arc and flash hazard of the disconnect under power and prevent the exposed blades being available to fall upon.   

Room for a new and larger Power con connector ?  Now exposed touchable contacts ??

Mike Sokol

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2014, 12:39:06 PM »

1:4! (that's mathematical notation for '4 factorial' -- 4*3*2*1=24) -- one in 24.

I LOVE this forum...

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2014, 12:52:44 PM »

Hasn't this already been hashed out in the marine industry?

My bet is that people are attempting to cheap out. It has been quite a while since I worked on big boats but I seem to remember a shore cable being in the $2500-$3000 range.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 12:55:45 PM by Jay Barracato »
Jay Barracato

Mike Sokol

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2014, 01:30:01 PM »

Hasn't this already been hashed out in the marine industry?

They are talking about marine connectors for this, but other than that I'm still in the dark. This is pretty early inner sanctum stuff, so I'll have to keep sniffing around until I get some solid info. But the scuttlebutt is that it's definitely coming.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2014, 01:30:01 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 25 queries.