ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Tour Bus Shore Power  (Read 19988 times)

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
Tour Bus Shore Power
« on: June 18, 2014, 09:49:05 PM »

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post this here, but my first eBook on RV Electrical Safety just published on Amazon/Kindle yesterday. What initially got me interested in starting No~Shock~Zone and researching vehicle grounding issues was a buddy of mine asking why he was getting shocked from a tour bus while plugged into shore power. It didn't take me long to realize that very little practical research had been done on this subject, so I dived in and started experimenting. See http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L2DWBD8 for my first Kindle effort aimed at RV owners.

I'm now working on a second No~Shock~Zone eBook on electrical safety and shock/grounding issues for pro-sound venues and performers. Should be out by the end of the year and include everything I've been learning about ground loop and hum issues, plus other experiments I've been working on that affect sound quality in sound systems. Going to get even more interesting very soon.

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
Re: Tour Bus Shore Power
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 09:52:20 PM »

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post this here, but my first eBook on RV Electrical Safety just published on Amazon/Kindle yesterday. What initially got me interested in starting No~Shock~Zone and researching vehicle grounding issues was a buddy of mine asking why he was getting shocked from a tour bus while plugged into shore power. It didn't take me long to realize that very little practical research had been done on this subject, so I dived in and started experimenting. See http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L2DWBD8 for my first Kindle effort aimed at RV owners.

I'm now working on a second No~Shock~Zone eBook on electrical safety and shock/grounding issues for pro-sound venues and performers. Should be out by the end of the year and include everything I've been learning about ground loop and hum issues, plus other experiments I've been working on that affect sound quality in sound systems. Going to get even more interesting very soon.

You're a moderator, you can do anything. :D

But really, congrats on publishing!!
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Lyle Williams

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 08:31:20 AM »

Great book about tour buses and RVs.  :-)

Kevin Graf

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 09:52:15 AM »

If we buy the book, will you loan us a Kindle?
Speedskater

Phil Graham

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2014, 12:16:47 PM »

Mike,

Excellent. Hopefully I'll get some bandwidth to read it. Is there any concern over PID damage of crystalline solar cells in the RV context, IOW how is the reference voltage plane handled for PV arrays in the RV/Bus context?

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2014, 12:20:31 PM »

I doubt Mike would spring for that, but you try this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?docId=1000493771
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Mike Sokol

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2014, 04:30:19 PM »

Kevin, you don't need a Kindle to read it. You can get a free Kindle Cloud reader from Amazon which works great. You can also download this it a Kindle app on your iPad which I've also tested and works well.

Doug Hammel

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2014, 07:05:26 PM »

This would be very good for the industry. I have heard and seen some very questionable tour bus hookups in my time especially when the bus driver pulls out bare tails and says the white conductor is actually a hot leg. He definitely got some looks and questions on that. I bet that electrician did not want to burn a tour bus down.

Mike Sokol

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2014, 09:56:14 PM »

This would be very good for the industry. I have heard and seen some very questionable tour bus hookups in my time especially when the bus driver pulls out bare tails and says the white conductor is actually a hot leg. He definitely got some looks and questions on that. I bet that electrician did not want to burn a tour bus down.

I wonder if there's any Tour Bus organization or forums that would be interested? You're right, those buses are darn expensive. Burning up a guitar amp is one thing, but burning up the electrical system in a Prevost would be crazy expensive to fix.

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2014, 01:26:57 PM »

Don't forget the campgrounds and mobile home. 

http://www.lakearrowheadcampground.com/   

This is a family member that I have sent this link to for his work. 
They may be starting to promote and review to ensure problems don't occur. 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2014, 01:26:57 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 25 queries.