ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: BYOS (Build Your Own Sub) - Who's done it?  (Read 23700 times)

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
Re: BYOS (Build Your Own Sub) - Who's done it?
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2016, 02:54:57 AM »

The other thing with things like tapped horns (or the BFM folded horns) is that the woodworking is pretty complicated.  Lots of baffles to get at just the right angle and location.
The THAM 12, 15 and 18 are good designs for those not adept at angled joints.  It's basically a set of 90 degree joints set at an angle in a box with only 90 degree joints. There is only one edge which needs an slight angle - but you could probably get away with keeping it straight and adding filler (although I wouldn't).

http://hornplans.free.fr/THAM15-02.jpg

Steve.

John Halliburton

• Still has hair and white pointy beard...
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2016, 09:17:06 AM »

The THAM 12, 15 and 18 are good designs for those not adept at angled joints.  It's basically a set of 90 degree joints set at an angle in a box with only 90 degree joints. There is only one edge which needs an slight angle - but you could probably get away with keeping it straight and adding filler (although I wouldn't).

Steve.

Anyone who owns a table saw and does some amount of woodworking should have little problem with angle cuts.  Heck, Paul Klipsch always said his first prototypes of the corner horn were made using hand tools only!

That said, the THAM units are fairly simple vs other horn designs-I made the 12 and the 15 out of MDF to play around and see how they played.

I have quite honestly lost track of  how many cabinets I've built over the last thirty years-hundreds for sure, both tops and subs, and home stereo loudspeakers, both professionally for Tom Danley, at R&R Cases in their speaker cabinet division, and in my own shop for myself and others.

I started off as a DIY'er, and learned along the way that it isn't always more economical, but often produced designs better than what was commercially available at the price point, and often performed better. 

Even today I still some of my own designs(or those I've collaborated  with) along with Tom's designs(I have TD1, Triks, and Runts in my inventory from the Sound Physics Labs days).

There is great satisfaction in designing and building something like a loudspeaker(or anything really), and I always recommend that if you want to give it a go, then have at it.

Best regards,

John

Steve M Smith

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2016, 09:26:24 AM »

I agree. I have made trapezoidal cabinets with just a hand saw but some people would rather not bother with angled cuts.

Steve.

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2016, 05:59:08 PM »

Reminds me of the Patrick McManus story where as a young boat builder he dealt with the problem of tapered ends on his canoe just by making them square.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Jay Barracato

Steve M Smith

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2016, 12:52:54 PM »

Reminds me of the Patrick McManus story where as a young boat builder he dealt with the problem of tapered ends on his canoe just by making them square.
This has reminded me of my father's advice to me when I was a child about how to make a model wooden boat. "start with a block of wood and cut off all the bits which don't look like boat".

Steve.

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2016, 06:06:51 PM »

Steve.
That looks interesting.  Gets a fairly long horn into a pretty small box.  How peaky are they?

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #26 on: February 29, 2016, 03:30:26 PM »

That looks interesting.  Gets a fairly long horn into a pretty small box.  How peaky are they?
The Tham 15" is smooth from around 50-150, with a large dip around 180 Hz followed by a big peak around 290 Hz.

Rick Powell

« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2016, 12:37:12 PM »

Haven't built a sub for a few decades, but I did build four coaxial monitors last summer, using top quality B&C coax drivers and crossovers and typical hardware and finish.  Wish I'd have used Line X rather than duratex on them for a finish, but I always could do it later.  They came out about $550 apiece (not considering labor), and sound better than anything I could have bought new for that price.  Rented a table saw for a day to cut all the parts. No regrets whatsoever.

I did build a few vented-box subs and mid high boxes a long time ago using JBL components, but they were't very well constructed, and all landed in the scrap heap at some point.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 12:39:36 PM by Rick Powell »

duane massey

« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2016, 05:19:48 PM »

Just finished a pair of "custom" subs for a local client. They furnished the plans, which started out as BFM Tubas, but the client wanted a modification made to increase the height. Since weight was not an issue I used 3/4" Russian birch and changed the speaker mounting portion. Haven't heard them yet, but the client will love them because they choose the design........
Incidentally they are also using some Danley top boxes, which I definitely will be glad to finally hear.
The cabinets were a real PITA to build, and I can see where the angles (especially the ones over 45-degrees) would be a challenge for your average DIYer.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Rick Powell

« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2016, 11:40:37 PM »

Steve.

Another very efficient DIY tapped horn sub design that has minimal angle cuts is Art Welter's "Keystone Sub" which has the general output and sound quality of something like a Danley TH 118 (although it is wider and taller, it has less depth), if the right driver is used. A B&C 18SW115 would be a good choice.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/185588-keystone-sub-using-18-15-12-inch-speakers.html  (see link to post #487)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2016, 11:40:37 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 23 queries.