ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Guest Teachers  (Read 7116 times)

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
Re: Guest Teachers
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2014, 05:12:54 PM »

The idea would be to announce in advance when this will happen and open the forum up to the guest lecturer for a period of 48 hours in the middle of the week (that's 2 days for us mathematically challenged). That should give all the forum readers around the world enough time to weigh in and ask questions, and the guest will know they only have to follow this thread for 2 days, not 2 years (or longer). After 48 hours we'll thank the guest and I'll lock the thread to stop further discussion.

Regarding format -- occasionally, Slashdot (one of the original crowd-sourced news aggregators) will feature an interview where the crowd can ask questions. The way they do it is they create a new post inviting questions for the interviewee. Sometimes it's on a specific subject, sometimes the floor is open to anything. After a couple of days, the most upvoted questions are passed on to the interviewee; a week or so later the interviewee's responses are posted as a new article.

Maybe you could adapt that approach. Of course, we don't have an "up/down-vote" process here, but that would be a way of minimizing the amount of time the guest would have to spend here. Then if they wanted to, they could respond to followup questions.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2014, 05:41:35 PM »

I wouldn't over think this, or make it harder than need be. If you find some authoritative professional willing to participate invite him to join and start a thread asking for questions. This will make it easier for people who work odd hours to participate, and it gives him or her the luxury of taking their time to answer thoughtfully.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2014, 05:52:02 PM »

I wouldn't over think this, or make it harder than need be. If you find some authoritative professional willing to participate invite him to join and start a thread asking for questions. This will make it easier for people who work odd hours to participate, and it gives him or her the luxury of taking their time to answer thoughtfully.

JR

That's what I'm thinking. I just want to limit this to perhaps 48 or 72 hours so the guests don't feel they need to be active on the thread forever. We could announce who the guest is along with the starting day and time the week before. When it's time to roll I'll start the thread, the guest could make an introduction if they like, and you guys pose some questions. He'll probably pose some questions back to you guys since this is a two way street. Don't expect an immediate answer just like any other thread, so they could get back to a question an hour or a day later. After the allotted time I'll do a thank-you and lock the thread.

I think if we keep it simple and everyone behaves themselves, we're gonna learn some really interesting stuff.

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2014, 06:56:47 PM »

On the right track IMO.  Carry on.
frank

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2014, 06:56:47 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 22 queries.