ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Long-range presentation remote WITHOUT "start show" (F5) button?  (Read 13880 times)

Jeff Carter

• Kitchener, ON, Canada

Title says it all, really.

Our pastor likes to use a presentation remote to advance slides (PowerPoint, we use MediaShout 5 to display). Our Logitech R800 works nicely over the 50' distance from stage to the tech booth, but the "start show" button (bound to the keyboard F5) is right below the "back" button and way too easy to press accidentally, which then causes the screen to go black.

Any presentation remotes out there with nothing but forward/back?
Mothers, don't let your babies grow up to be physics PhDs

Tom Bourke

• http://www.cwalv.com
Re: Long-range presentation remote WITHOUT "start show" (F5) button?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 11:36:55 PM »

You may be able to remap that button to null or some other harmless button code. May be able to use the driver software for the remote or edit the windows registry for this function.
I have a mild form of Dyslexia that affects my ability to spell.  I do use spell checking to help but it does not always work.  My form of Dyslexia does not affect my reading.  Dyslexics of the world untie! <a href="http://www.cwalv.com" target="_blank">http://www.cwalv.com</a>

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2014, 10:11:25 AM »

Jeff,

There certainly are, but not many are reliable in a production environment.  It doesn't look like there is any software to edit the functions of the R800, so you may have to resort to using something installed on your presentation computer to disable certain keyboard functions.  See here for an idea or two.

D'San's PerfectCue system is the professional standard that I see used most frequently; there are a few different types of remotes available.  They are not cheap, but they are very reliable and flexible in how they can be implemented, especially between different computer operating systems, hardware, software, etc.

SMK-Link is another brand that has modifiable remote presenters...for example: I disable the "blackout" button on ours (for obvious reasons).  I have found them usable out to 100ft. or so, line-of-sight, with the RX elevated above head-level of the audience (a USB-over-Cat5 could be used, too).  For some of the units, you can sync two remotes to one USB receiver so that you have a hot backup.

Our pastor likes to use a presentation remote to advance slides (PowerPoint, we use MediaShout 5 to display). Our Logitech R800 works nicely over the 50' distance from stage to the tech booth, but the "start show" button (bound to the keyboard F5) is right below the "back" button and way too easy to press accidentally, which then causes the screen to go black.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 10:20:43 AM by Jordan Wolf »
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Jeff Carter

• Kitchener, ON, Canada
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2014, 10:22:34 AM »

You may be able to remap that button to null or some other harmless button code. May be able to use the driver software for the remote or edit the windows registry for this function.

As far as I've seen in my googling on the subject it looks like Windows sees the presentation remote as a second keyboard, so it's possible to remap keys but in doing so you also remap them on the main keyboard... I'd like to keep the F5 key functional on the keyboard if possible since it's one of the "quick cue" keyboard shortcuts in MediaShout.

If there's a way to remap only *one* of multiple connected keyboards in Windows I'd love to know about it.

Jeff Carter

• Kitchener, ON, Canada
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2014, 10:30:06 AM »

SMK-Link is another brand that has modifiable remote presenters...for example: I disable the "blackout" button on ours (for obvious reasons).  I have found them usable out to 100ft. or so, line-of-sight, with the RX elevated above head-level of the audience (a USB-over-Cat5 could be used, too).  For some of the units, you can sync two remotes to one USB receiver so that you have a hot backup.

Thanks for the link. I suspect that's just what we're looking for. Which models do you find usable out to 100'?

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2014, 10:45:42 AM »

Thanks for the link. I suspect that's just what we're looking for. Which models do you find usable out to 100'?
Hey Jeff,

We have 8 of the RemotePoint Emerald units, and they seem to work well.  My only gripes are that they are a little hefty, and they require a firm press to activate.

We also use the RemotePoint Global Presenter, of which two can be sync'd to one USB receiver for a hot backup.  It's not programmable, so it may not help your situation.

Honeywell (under the Street Smart Technologies division) used to make a nifty little remote that was programmable...if you can find one, they're nice and compact and only have buttons for forward, backward, and laser pointer.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2014, 02:25:04 AM »

As far as I've seen in my googling on the subject it looks like Windows sees the presentation remote as a second keyboard, so it's possible to remap keys but in doing so you also remap them on the main keyboard... I'd like to keep the F5 key functional on the keyboard if possible since it's one of the "quick cue" keyboard shortcuts in MediaShout.

If there's a way to remap only *one* of multiple connected keyboards in Windows I'd love to know about it.

Check out X-Mouse. Lets you remap mouse buttons according to application; don't know if it works for keyboards. Might work for other devices.

http://www.highrez.co.uk/downloads/XMouseButtonControl.htm
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Scott Hofmann

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2014, 09:56:18 AM »

Physically modify the remote.
Have someone take the remote apart and remove the offending key or cut the pc board traces to it. Or, apply some superglue to keep it from being depressed.
Scott Hofmann

Nathan Ihlenfeldt

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2014, 02:54:05 PM »

Not sure where you will find these in the US, but we've had good luck with these units -

http://www.interspaceind.com/cueing-systems/microcue2-detail

http://www.interspaceind.com/cueing-systems/master-cue-v6-system-detail

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2014, 10:03:26 PM »

Jeff,

D'San's PerfectCue system is the professional standard that I see used most frequently; there are a few different types of remotes available.  They are not cheap, but they are very reliable and flexible in how they can be implemented, especially between different computer operating systems, hardware, software, etc.

What Jordan said.  This is the pro method.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2014, 10:03:26 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 23 queries.