ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Powering Subs  (Read 4294 times)

Tony Pubelo

Powering Subs
« on: June 04, 2014, 08:34:25 AM »

I have (6) EV MTL2B subs. Each cabinet is  loaded with (2) EVX180B drivers, making each cab a 4 ohm load. I am told powering these cabs is 1200 watts.

Looking a for advise on amplifiers to power these subs.

Crest CA18 or Crown MA5000 - I am told these amps will run all day long at 2 ohms which would run (4) cabinets. The MA5000 runs in a mono-parallel mode down to 1 ohm - could I tie all the subs together @ 1.3 ohms and run them too?

I was also looking at the Crown 12000i  I could run 3 subs a side @ 2.7 ohms or bridge the amp and run all 6 subs @ 5.4 ohms.

Or is the best option 3 amps, each amp running stereo @ 4 ohms. If so, what amps do people recommend for any of the applications of running these subs.

There will be times I only run 2 or 4 subs.

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
Re: Powering Subs
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 08:53:51 PM »

Tony,

No experience with those Crowns, the CA -18 is a brute, but won't do all 6 cabs. My choice for old school power would be three CA-9 rather than putting all your eggs in one old basket.
If you want to save a lot of weight and still hit them hard, three SpeakerPower SP4001 would do well too, and could be mounted in three of the cabinets.

Art

Richard Turner

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 09:43:10 PM »

also the ca18 really requires a 30 amp outlet to use to its full potential and meet code whrn operating.

Will you always be using in rooms with access to this?
Looking at retiring. Local PA market has shrank to 2 guys with guitars and bose l1 compacts or expecting full line array and 16 movers on stage for $300... no middle left going back to event DJ stuff, half the work for twice the pay.

Tony Pubelo

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 12:04:20 PM »

No, 30 amp is not at all venues. I was looking at the QSC RMX 5050 & the QSC PDL 4.5 anyone use these for subs.

Tony Pubelo

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2014, 07:30:52 PM »

I just purchased off eBay (3) EV CP4000 amps. One channel per sub 1800 watts @ 4 ohms. I also purchased online the QSC PDL 4.5 which is a four channel amp. It will put out 1250 watts at 4 ohms per channel. I'll test it out on the subs but I will be using that for my high/mid packs.

I have (6) EV MTL2B subs. Each cabinet is  loaded with (2) EVX180B drivers, making each cab a 4 ohm load. I am told powering these cabs is 1200 watts.

Looking a for advise on amplifiers to power these subs.

Crest CA18 or Crown MA5000 - I am told these amps will run all day long at 2 ohms which would run (4) cabinets. The MA5000 runs in a mono-parallel mode down to 1 ohm - could I tie all the subs together @ 1.3 ohms and run them too?

I was also looking at the Crown 12000i  I could run 3 subs a side @ 2.7 ohms or bridge the amp and run all 6 subs @ 5.4 ohms.

Or is the best option 3 amps, each amp running stereo @ 4 ohms. If so, what amps do people recommend for any of the applications of running these subs.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2014, 07:30:52 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 25 queries.