ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggestions for powered speakers for jazz venue  (Read 6240 times)

duane massey

Suggestions for powered speakers for jazz venue
« on: June 03, 2014, 08:40:05 PM »

Hey, guys and girls, I have an acquaintance who is building a small jazz club (100 cap) and is looking for my input on powered speakers. I have only used the K-series a few times, and have no hands-on experience with other brands. I will not be involved with the install nor the operation, but I am at least trying to give them a better suggestion than the local GC.
13' ceiling, stage protrudes into center of room, so coverage will be tricky, but their budget for the speakers only is under $5k. Jazz, no dance or DJ's, no rock/edm/etc, so quality might be a higher priority than spl. They (and I) know it's not going to be ideal, but their original plan was 2 speakers on sticks with 1 sub.
They don't have to use powered spks, but they have been led down this path somewhat already. They have console, mics, etc, just need FOH.
I'm thinking QSC, JBL, EV, Yamaha, etc, but open to others as well. Thanks.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Thomas Le

Re: Suggestions for powered speakers for jazz venue
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 08:44:21 PM »

If it's quality you're after, have you considered a local contractor? Maybe some install speakers could do better than ones that are on sticks.

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 09:09:36 PM »

For under 5k you could maybe squeak out some Danley boxes.  Especially for such a small room.

Milt Hathaway

• http://www.fitzcosound.com
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 09:58:35 PM »

Believe it or not, coverage may not be as difficult as you think. If you can get the mains a little ways off stage (about equal to stage depth if possible) you can get away with having the mains mounted right on the upstage wall. Depending upon the room you'll want 75 to 90 degree boxes for this (I've been using one EV ZXA5-90 powered box per side in rooms of about 150 to 175 people) but the coverage will be fine. The spill off stage from a jazz group tends to already be a good mix so front row patrons hardly even need to hear the PA. Even when I've had a vocalist coverage has been passable (and the vocalist only needed a single ZXA1 box as a monitor).

Typically the most I need to get out of the PA for jazz groups is about 6 to 9dB of gain over the stage spill. I've never needed subs, never needed to mic the kit, and some bassists needed only light micing.

My experience is primarily with bebop/dixieland jazz, so YMMV.
--
Milt
FitzCo Sound, Inc.
Midland, TX
http://www.fitzcosound.com

Robert Weston

• Power is cheap, reputation is not.
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 10:01:14 PM »

Hey, guys and girls, I have an acquaintance who is building a small jazz club (100 cap) and is looking for my input on powered speakers. I have only used the K-series a few times, and have no hands-on experience with other brands. I will not be involved with the install nor the operation, but I am at least trying to give them a better suggestion than the local GC.
13' ceiling, stage protrudes into center of room, so coverage will be tricky, but their budget for the speakers only is under $5k. Jazz, no dance or DJ's, no rock/edm/etc, so quality might be a higher priority than spl. They (and I) know it's not going to be ideal, but their original plan was 2 speakers on sticks with 1 sub.
They don't have to use powered spks, but they have been led down this path somewhat already. They have console, mics, etc, just need FOH.
I'm thinking QSC, JBL, EV, Yamaha, etc, but open to others as well. Thanks.

We use the Yamaha DSR115 speakers at bars and other smaller venues.  Though, we also use one JBLPRX718 sub with them.  The DSR's sound very good.  They have a "contour" setting on the back that basically boosts the bass (not sure of the freq. we don't use it for the shows we do), but also boosts  the high freq.  The 60 degree vert. horn helps a little with the coverage upfront.

http://www.yamahaproaudio.com/global/en/products/speakers/dsr_series/specifications.jsp

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2014, 11:04:35 PM »

I think you can get a pair of Meyer UPJ-1Ps for just slightly more than $5,000, maybe $5,500. I think they would sound great as a pair of mains for a 100 capacity jazz club.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

duane massey

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2014, 01:10:30 AM »

There are several possibilities as far as placement, lack of budget will narrow it down quite a bit. There are no local contractors to speak of, but they are talking to a couple of "companies" in the neighborhood who basically a little less knowledgeable than your local GC guys. They will probably wind with a mobile-type system, but I am at least going to give some options to consider.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2014, 01:36:26 AM »

For under 5k you could maybe squeak out some Danley boxes.  Especially for such a small room.

This.  If the coverage works out right, the small, wide coverage boxes should do well...SM100, SM100F, SM100B.  It may be a little tight on that budget but well worth any extra that can be thrown at it.

John B. Miller

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2014, 11:28:18 AM »

+1 on the Meyer UPJ's. Perfect for your application. If you're not picky, used ones are readily available for less $. If you want full range system, Meyer makes a little single 10" powered subwoofer that you could even use with UP-Juniors.
John B. Miller

AUDIOCRAFT

Waterloo, ON

Canada

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2014, 11:52:03 AM »

If it's on sticks and easily accessible, powered isn't bad, but if you fly something I would rather keep amps on the ground.... Personal preference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2014, 11:52:03 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 25 queries.