ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Tiny Speakers for Audio Support for Smaller Groups  (Read 7927 times)

Jordan Wolf

Re: Tiny Speakers for Audio Support for Smaller Groups
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2014, 12:33:39 AM »

Gerry, a Mackie SRM150 might work, but you could also look into the SpeakEasyfrom Remote Audio...I've thought about one for backstage cue monitors as a tech.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Gerry Seymour

• My Professional Website
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2014, 07:21:59 AM »

Gerry, a Mackie SRM150 might work, but you could also look into the SpeakEasyfrom Remote Audio...I've thought about one for backstage cue monitors as a tech.

The SRM150 looks like one of the better options for car travel (I missed that one, somehow, when looking at similar units). The SpeakEasy is closer to the size I'd need for airline travel, and looks a bit better equipped than some that size. The battery power is a nice extra. I wouldn't depend upon it, but there are times when it would be nice to pack up the power cable at lunch. Their specification of battery life is annoying ("more than a full production day of typical intermittent use").
Gerry Seymour

Professional Trainer and Speaker
(with lighting/audio experience)

anything that moves will eventually die

anything that doesn't move is probably already dead - James Feenstra

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2014, 07:50:09 AM »

The SRM150 looks like one of the better options for car travel (I missed that one, somehow, when looking at similar units). The SpeakEasy is closer to the size I'd need for airline travel, and looks a bit better equipped than some that size. The battery power is a nice extra. I wouldn't depend upon it, but there are times when it would be nice to pack up the power cable at lunch. Their specification of battery life is annoying ("more than a full production day of typical intermittent use").

We use a number of the behringer knock offs of the srm150. They are very successful for our application.  The sit on a steel institutional multimedia cart with a projector and are used as laptop speakers in classrooms.  One group that meets in one of our rooms bought a wireless mic they plug into it, as they have a lot of elderly members.   If feel the sound quality is fine, and we really can't do much better for the price.  No reliability issues in 3 years.   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2014, 12:10:44 PM »

That certainly is small, and should do what I need. Thanks!

Have you heard their Nano model? I'm wondering if it would be sufficient for me. Maybe I can demo one somewhere...

Have not heard the Nano, sorry.  FWIW I use a $50 AT headset mic, boost the treble and bass on the Micro and it sounds pretty good.  Measures surprisingly well, too.  I leave it in its box and pack it. 
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Gerry Seymour

• My Professional Website
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2014, 04:48:50 PM »

Doug and Cailen, thanks for the additional input. Time for me to chew on the info a little and just make a decision. May not need to pull the trigger for a couple of months yet - traveling by car mostly ATM so I can pack some of my less-compact gear, and working mostly small (and short) corporate workshops where I don't need amplification, anyway.
Gerry Seymour

Professional Trainer and Speaker
(with lighting/audio experience)

anything that moves will eventually die

anything that doesn't move is probably already dead - James Feenstra

grant brewer

« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2014, 11:39:52 PM »

Doug and Cailen, thanks for the additional input. Time for me to chew on the info a little and just make a decision. May not need to pull the trigger for a couple of months yet - traveling by car mostly ATM so I can pack some of my less-compact gear, and working mostly small (and short) corporate workshops where I don't need amplification, anyway.

Gerry--
I might also suggest you look at our Traveler line of PA systems, especially the TV5i and TV5X
Here: http://galaxyaudio.com/Travelers.php

both are great solutions I believe to what you are looking for in the PA system, as both will fit into a bag easily for airplane travel.  With built in Bluetooth on the TV5i, it could be the perfect solution by just adding one of our wireless option, or use your standard wired mic as well.

Thanks,
Grant Brewer
NSM, Galaxy Audio

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber