ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Feeder Cable length?  (Read 13533 times)

Jeff Bankston

Re: Feeder Cable length?
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2014, 07:19:00 PM »

In the UK that kinda thing is commonly known as a "widow maker". I'd have thought in the US you'd never even contemplate such a cable for fear of lawyers, never mind that it might kill someone who comes along looking for an outlet to plug the coffee pot into and cares little for what that plug may be powering.
fisrt of all IF i ever had to use it it would be plugged into an off limits outlet with signs and tape and stuff and in plain view. secondly IF YOU allow someone to unplug your board or other gear then you are not making sure you have made it known to whoever that the outlet your plugged into is off limits. and anyone pulling a plug before asking needs their rear reamed out real good. i have never encounterd anyone wanting to pull a plug witout asking if its being used.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2014, 07:28:24 PM »

fisrt of all IF i ever had to use it it would be plugged into an off limits outlet with signs and tape and stuff and in plain view. secondly IF YOU allow someone to unplug your board or other gear then you are not making sure you have made it known to whoever that the outlet your plugged into is off limits. and anyone pulling a plug before asking needs their rear reamed out real good. i have never encounterd anyone wanting to pull a plug witout asking if its being used.

Stupid or selfish people will do the darndist things, Jeff.  Mac Kerr posted about losing a Red Carpet video feed because a "guest" unplugged the fiber optic converter PSU to plug in his/her cellphone charger.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Tom Bourke

• http://www.cwalv.com
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2014, 08:04:28 PM »

Stop digging your hole.  It's a bad idea and very dangerous.
I have a mild form of Dyslexia that affects my ability to spell.  I do use spell checking to help but it does not always work.  My form of Dyslexia does not affect my reading.  Dyslexics of the world untie! <a href="http://www.cwalv.com" target="_blank">http://www.cwalv.com</a>

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2014, 09:53:08 PM »

Stop digging your hole.  It's a bad idea and very dangerous.
if you ever worked on a construction job, did service work on some of breaker panels that non electricians used to turn building lights on with and replaced some of the (wth is this) recepticales i have you would understand that what i'm refering to would not even make it close to the dangerous list. i have seen and ben around some unbelievalbly dangerous installed equipment that watresses plugged vacuums in and out of. let me put it this way, theres stuff i have ben called to repair and work on that i didnt even want to get near untill the power was turned off to the switches , plugs or main service that others were within inches of.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 09:55:36 PM by Jeff Harrell »

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2014, 10:49:53 PM »

if you ever worked on a construction job, did service work on some of breaker panels that non electricians used to turn building lights on with and replaced some of the (wth is this) recepticales i have you would understand that what i'm refering to would not even make it close to the dangerous list. i have seen and ben around some unbelievalbly dangerous installed equipment that watresses plugged vacuums in and out of. let me put it this way, theres stuff i have ben called to repair and work on that i didnt even want to get near untill the power was turned off to the switches , plugs or main service that others were within inches of.
So...you're saying that because there is other really scary stuff out there, it's ok to promote stuff that is only kind of scary, but still illegal and dangerous (and quite frankly unnecessary)? How about we suggest actual code-compliant, workable solutions instead?

Tom Bourke

• http://www.cwalv.com
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2014, 11:47:12 PM »

That almost makes it worse.  Since it does not look scary to the untrained eye some one may assume it is safe to touch.   
I have a mild form of Dyslexia that affects my ability to spell.  I do use spell checking to help but it does not always work.  My form of Dyslexia does not affect my reading.  Dyslexics of the world untie! <a href="http://www.cwalv.com" target="_blank">http://www.cwalv.com</a>

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2014, 07:25:02 AM »

That almost makes it worse.  Since it does not look scary to the untrained eye some one may assume it is safe to touch.

Let's stay OT. This forum will only promote solutions that are NEC and UL compliant. The only exception will be if we feel that the Code itself is incorrect and we're going through proper channels to modify the code. (I'm doing that right now)

Also remember that this is a learning forum. So if someone makes a suggestion that's dangerous or a code violation, we need to point it out without attacking the individual. And if you find that you've been wrong about something, then admit it and move on. I myself have done some cringe worthy things over the last 40 years, which I'll be glad to discuss as fails. And certainly, there's often pressure to cut safety corners at gigs since "the show must go on". But that attitude has contributed to stage collapses in storms and fires from pyro gone wrong. And yes, equipment damages and injuries or death from incorrect electrical hookups happen all the time.

So NO personal attacks and retaliation here. In this classroom we're all free to ask questions without being judged. Let's stay safe out there.

Professor Mike Sokol (Yes, I really am an adjunct professor at Shenandoah University)

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2014, 12:32:19 AM »

So...you're saying that because there is other really scary stuff out there, it's ok to promote stuff that is only kind of scary, but still illegal and dangerous (and quite frankly unnecessary)?
i did not say that and was not implying that either.

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2014, 12:34:30 AM »

you would be surprised what i'v seen on job sites when the general contractor was responsible for all the temp power. and nobody on any of the trades cared as long as their power tools worked. thats why construction is in the top 10 dangerous jobs. i have called osha and reported dangerous conditions on a number of jobs after the superintendant wouldnt do anything. osha came out once and it wasnt for the temp power issue i called about. i was more concerned about some of the apartment buildings i lived in when i saw people with tv, stereo , floor lamp, etc plugged into a 16 gauge zip type extension cord.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 12:46:09 AM by Jeff Harrell »

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2014, 02:47:43 PM »

i did not say that and was not implying that either.

Per Mr. Sokol, we need to stay on topic, and NOT promote/suggest, or even mention-as-an-option any kind of solution that would be in violation of the applicable NEC and OSHA regulations. The box that led to this topic swerve, your "widow maker" with (details redacted as to not mention it again) is dangerous, illegal, and in violation of the NEC.

Mr. Cornish said what he said because you tried to defend your mentioning of this custom box with "there is way more scary stuff out there then what I mentioned," - just because there's other reprehensible violations of both the NEC and OSHA regulations, as well as good, common sense existing on construction/other sites, you still may not recommend a "not so dangerous but still illegal device" on these forums.

We need to be leaders in the entertainment field, making sure that we are doing everything we can to promote safe and responsible electrical practices!

Thanks--

Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2014, 02:47:43 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 23 queries.