ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Feeder Cable length?  (Read 13541 times)

Sean Proken

Feeder Cable length?
« on: May 27, 2014, 09:11:49 PM »

Hi!

I use a 50amp distro in my system, and recently picked up a gig where the only available outlet is about 200' away. Ive never done a run this long, and I only own one 50' 6/4 cable, so I would like to know if the length is an issue before I invest in more cable.

Thanks.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Feeder Cable length?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 09:21:42 PM »

Hi!

I use a 50amp distro in my system, and recently picked up a gig where the only available outlet is about 200' away. Ive never done a run this long, and I only own one 50' 6/4 cable, so I would like to know if the length is an issue before I invest in more cable.

Thanks.

Get a generator and site it so you can use the cable you own.  200' run requires 4 gauge wire.  That's a s***load of copper, heavy and expensive...and a really looooong tripping hazard.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 09:29:01 PM »

Hi!

Thanks.

How much current do you draw?

I have run 200' from a genny with 100' of 6/4 and 100' of 6/3+8/1 (supplied with genny).
I was only running 4 QRX 212, a couple of front fills and a couple of wedges. No lights.
I have also run 150' with the above and 4 subs.

That said, if I were buying another 100' of feeder I would make it 4/4 or to reduce weight & size, 4/3+6/1.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Sean Proken

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 09:32:55 PM »

I have run 200' from a genny with 100' of 6/4 and 100' of 6/3+8/1 (supplied with genny).
I was only running 4 QRX 212, a couple of front fills and a couple of wedges. No lights.

That said, if I were buying another 100' of feeder I would make it 4/4 or to reduce weight & size, 4/3+6/1.

I run it at almost full load. 4/4 is really expensive, guess i'll just make my client rent a generator or pass on the gig.

Thanks for the info guys.

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 09:37:39 PM »

I run it at almost full load.
How do you know?
4/4 is really expensive, guess i'll just make my client rent a generator or pass on the gig.

Thanks for the info guys.
At 200', even 4/4 could get a little small if you're truly running close to 50A a leg, which isn't difficult with amplifiers where instantaneous current can be pretty significant.  A generator is the right call here, or possibly renting some larger feeder.

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 11:18:56 PM »

How do you know?At 200', even 4/4 could get a little small if you're truly running close to 50A a leg, which isn't difficult with amplifiers where instantaneous current can be pretty significant.  A generator is the right call here, or possibly renting some larger feeder.

+1

Sean Proken

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 11:26:11 PM »

About a year ago I did a gig where the venue only had a 14-30 outlet. it was last min with no time to request a new outlet install, so we made an adapter. The breaker was blowing all night, to the point I could not turn the sound up loud enough. Now I run 4 moving heads and some wash lights as well, so I have to be pretty close to a full 50amp load.

Generator it is. What size do you recommend? 35kva?

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2014, 12:03:20 AM »

About a year ago I did a gig where the venue only had a 14-30 outlet. it was last min with no time to request a new outlet install, so we made an adapter. The breaker was blowing all night, to the point I could not turn the sound up loud enough. Now I run 4 moving heads and some wash lights as well, so I have to be pretty close to a full 50amp load.

Generator it is. What size do you recommend? 35kva?

The bad part about that adapter is what you discovered: By having a 30A breaker "somewhere else" other then your distro, you pop that breaker before something local (read: easy to reset) would trip out. Awkward. :(

Generator is your friend. A 25kW will have it's two CS6369 50A flush mount receptacles on a 60A/220 main breaker (at least with a Multiquip WhisperWatt). So, that should give you enough without causing any problems. The next step up is the 45kW (which is what I have) - the main breaker is 110A/220V. You can also go 3Ø(camlock) to a distro with a couple of range plugs on it-- that would give you the full capacity of the generator available.

Easiest (what most generator rental houses have) is to use the twistlocks, though. :) You didn't mention what your distro's input style is, so make sure you can get to the CS 6369 ("california connector") OK.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2014, 06:09:52 AM »

you could run 2 paralell extension cords into a 2 in 1 out box. the cords need to be the same lenght. you might have to build the box. 2 male plugs in and 1 female out. on the power in side you would need to plug both cords into the outlet and it would need to be in a place that no one but you will have access to lest someone unplugs a cord and has hot prongs proding them. if your not familiar with this then dont do it. i'm an electrician and it no big thing for me. 2 , 3 and 4 hot wires on the same phase is very common. i have pulled Four paralell runs of 750mcm quit a few times. i also pulled a 1000mcm once and that was enough. all copper.

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2014, 08:29:11 AM »

you could run 2 paralell extension cords into a 2 in 1 out box. the cords need to be the same lenght. you might have to build the box. 2 male plugs in and 1 female out. on the power in side you would need to plug both cords into the outlet and it would need to be in a place that no one but you will have access to lest someone unplugs a cord and has hot prongs proding them. if your not familiar with this then dont do it. i'm an electrician and it no big thing for me. 2 , 3 and 4 hot wires on the same phase is very common. i have pulled Four paralell runs of 750mcm quit a few times. i also pulled a 1000mcm once and that was enough. all copper.

Is that acceptable by code? I have never seen it done on high voltage before... Speaker lines sure..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2014, 08:29:11 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 25 queries.