ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How big of a "foot" for these towers?  (Read 2159 times)

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
How big of a "foot" for these towers?
« on: May 27, 2014, 06:46:03 pm »

I'm getting a good deal on some Global spigoted triangle truss in the 12" size. I want to make 4 towers to hold LED bars mounted inside and probably 2 mac101's mounted outside each tower. I'm probably going to have a local welder build the feet for me because the commercially available stuff is kinda pricey.

If I'm building these feet out of steel, and I only have this light weight load on each tower, How big do you think these feet need to be? I will be using these outdoors sometimes, but I can supplement with sandbags in those cases. What do you think?

Basically I'm putting this rig in some truss. Right now it's on pipe and base and takes forever to set up.

http://s23.photobucket.com/user/HiSPL/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-03/CBEE970D-1C60-4C67-B121-C279A84A9CC6_zpsym4aecu4.mp4.html

Sorry about the music. Feel free to mute your speakers.  :-X
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Jano Svitok

• SR Forums
  • Bratislava, Slovakia
    • zvukari.sk
Re: How big of a "foot" for these towers?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 08:12:56 am »

I don't see height of the towers here... it may be important for the answer...

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 08:54:31 am »

I don't see height of the towers here... it may be important for the answer...

Oh yeah! 10 foot.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

John Rader

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 11:52:44 am »

Oh yeah! 10 foot.

30 inches would be a minimum - but I should note, free standing towers are a huge liability.  There is always the possibility that they will be tipped over.

Josh Daws

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 07:30:56 pm »

at 10ft, i would recommend 36", and make it heavy...

its not really as so much about the load, its more about the potential for movement with a load on it...do yourself a favor and buy the manufacturer's base plates from Global. this way if something goes wrong, you can hang it up on global, and you won't be in the hole for millions if your truss comes falling down...

James Feenstra

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2014, 08:44:16 am »

at 10ft, i would recommend 36", and make it heavy...

its not really as so much about the load, its more about the potential for movement with a load on it...do yourself a favor and buy the manufacturer's base plates from Global. this way if something goes wrong, you can hang it up on global, and you won't be in the hole for millions if your truss comes falling down...
the liability is still on the end user more than the manufacturer. It's very unlikely that in the event the truss fell over the manufacturer would get blamed, unless the product was used 100% as recommended (to engineered spec) and it actually failed.
Elevation Audiovisual
www.elevationav.com
Taking your events to the next level

Josh Daws

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2014, 09:29:01 am »

the liability is still on the end user more than the manufacturer. It's very unlikely that in the event the truss fell over the manufacturer would get blamed, unless the product was used 100% as recommended (to engineered spec) and it actually failed.

i agree....but i was coming at it from the angle on if he doesn't get it manufactured to engineered spec then he will be in huge trouble if something goes wrong...more than if he were to get something from global, to only save a few bucks....

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2014, 09:29:01 am »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.064 seconds with 23 queries.