ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: X32 Gain Sharing 2 consoles and 2 S16's  (Read 17272 times)

Don Ernst

• Ernst Audio Services, Inc
X32 Gain Sharing 2 consoles and 2 S16's
« on: May 24, 2014, 07:01:02 pm »

I have been using an X32 and 2 S16 stage boxes for over a year and a half and have liked this setup very much.  I just added an X32 Producer to my inventory for backup purposes and the ability to use a smaller console when I needed the room. 

I also wanted to use the consoles together in a FOH and Monitors setup.  Without going to the forums to see how it was done, I just dove into linking all of them together to see if I could work it out (I am not one to use manuals unless I just fail to make it work).  After some 3 hours of trial and error, I found a way to have the S16's shared by both consoles without changing the output routing and not using the auxes like I later found on the Behringer forum.

Both consoles have the latest firmware 2.04.

Connections:
X32 AES50A > S16 1 AES50A
S16 1 AES50B > S16 2 AES50A
S16 2 AES50B > X32 Producer AES50A

On the X32, set the clock source to Local.

On the X32 ONLY go to the Preamps page of the Setup Screen and check HA Gain Split.

On the Producer set the clock source to AES50A.

On the X32 Set the AES50A outputs in the AES50A page of the Routing Screen like this:
Outputs 1-8 > Out 1-8
Outputs 9-16 > Out 9-16
Outputs 17-24 >AES50 A1-8
Outputs 24-32 > AES50 A9-16
Outputs 33-40 > AES50 A17-24
Outputs 41-48 > AES50 A25-32
This allows your outputs to stay untouched.

On the Producer set the inputs on the Home Routing Screen to this:
Inputs 1-8 > AES50 A17-24
Inputs 9-16 > AES50 A25-32
Inputs 17-24 > AES50 A33-40
Inputs 25-32 > AES50 A41-48

The gains on the separate consoles will act as if they are independent of each other.  From what I have set up here, I do not see any difference when I change the preamp controls on the preamps page of the setup screen on either console.  They seem to have no effect.

I have set this up in my garage and have done some testing with it and it seems to work.  I would assume this would work with any combination of X32 consoles.

If someone else can set this up and confirm what I have done, I would appreciate any affirmation.
Don Ernst
Louisville, Ky.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
Re: X32 Gain Sharing 2 consoles and 2 S16's
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2014, 07:20:25 pm »

I have been using an X32 and 2 S16 stage boxes for over a year and a half and have liked this setup very much.  I just added an X32 Producer to my inventory for backup purposes and the ability to use a smaller console when I needed the room. 

I also wanted to use the consoles together in a FOH and Monitors setup.  Without going to the forums to see how it was done, I just dove into linking all of them together to see if I could work it out (I am not one to use manuals unless I just fail to make it work).  After some 3 hours of trial and error, I found a way to have the S16's shared by both consoles without changing the output routing and not using the auxes like I later found on the Behringer forum.

Both consoles have the latest firmware 2.04.

Connections:
X32 AES50A > S16 1 AES50A
S16 1 AES50B > S16 2 AES50A
S16 2 AES50B > X32 Producer AES50A

On the X32, set the clock source to Local.

On the X32 ONLY go to the Preamps page of the Setup Screen and check HA Gain Split.

On the Producer set the clock source to AES50A.

On the X32 Set the AES50A outputs in the AES50A page of the Routing Screen like this:
Outputs 1-8 > Out 1-8
Outputs 9-16 > Out 9-16
Outputs 17-24 >AES50 A1-8
Outputs 24-32 > AES50 A9-16
Outputs 33-40 > AES50 A17-24
Outputs 41-48 > AES50 A25-32
This allows your outputs to stay untouched.

On the Producer set the inputs on the Home Routing Screen to this:
Inputs 1-8 > AES50 A17-24
Inputs 9-16 > AES50 A25-32
Inputs 17-24 > AES50 A33-40
Inputs 25-32 > AES50 A41-48

The gains on the separate consoles will act as if they are independent of each other.  From what I have set up here, I do not see any difference when I change the preamp controls on the preamps page of the setup screen on either console.  They seem to have no effect.

I have set this up in my garage and have done some testing with it and it seems to work.  I would assume this would work with any combination of X32 consoles.

If someone else can set this up and confirm what I have done, I would appreciate any affirmation.

Yeah. That was kinda the big deal about version 2.0 when it came out.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Nick Davis

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2014, 04:47:32 am »

so you are saying you have independent gain control -- my understanding of the HA split is that you set the initial preamp gain on one console & then each console is given independent Trim control over their levels.

Don Ernst

• Ernst Audio Services, Inc
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2014, 12:24:27 pm »

so you are saying you have independent gain control -- my understanding of the HA split is that you set the initial preamp gain on one console & then each console is given independent Trim control over their levels.

I just tried the preamp controls in the config screen and found I was wrong.  Yes they do control the overall gain and the consoles have adjustment after that.  I must have been trying the wrong channel controls.  The preamp controls for this configuration are the AES50A 1 through 32 on the X32 primary console.  The Producer's controls do nothing.  So yes, it works like they say it does.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 12:40:31 pm by Don Ernst »
Don Ernst
Louisville, Ky.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2014, 04:44:57 pm »

I just tried the preamp controls in the config screen and found I was wrong.  Yes they do control the overall gain and the consoles have adjustment after that.  I must have been trying the wrong channel controls.  The preamp controls for this configuration are the AES50A 1 through 32 on the X32 primary console.  The Producer's controls do nothing.  So yes, it works like they say it does.

You will still have one "master" console. However, if you select "HA Split" or whatever its called, you move the actual gain function off of the knob on the surface of the desk. That is replaced with a digital trim option which has a pretty broad range on it.

To the average Joe, the "gain knob" still looks, acts, and feels the same. It's just not actually changing the headamp gain anymore. Therefor each desk on the network can go crazy changing their "gain" locally, and not effect any other desk.

The gotcha to this situation is that the "Master desk" really needs to set the actual head amps fairly close to where they need to be in order to avoid an overly noisy system.  The purpose of the head amps is to amplify the small signals from microphones in order for you to slice and dice in the console processing.  When you use digital trim, you are not just amplifying a signal from a mic, you are also amplifying  a bunch of extra noise from signal transmission and whatnot.

When you are in HA split mode the only way to set the actual head again is to use the "Preamps" tab under the setup key. Incidentally that's also where you have to switch on phantom.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2014, 04:44:57 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 22 queries.