ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: RCF ART 312a - First Thoughts  (Read 17645 times)

Mike Sullivan

RCF ART 312a - First Thoughts
« on: May 18, 2014, 01:33:17 PM »

I replaced my EV LiveX ELX monitor rig with (for the moment) 6 RCF ART 312a's.  First thoughts, while they would look better with the full grille, they don't look entirely ugly like some loudspeakers do.  They are extremely lightweight, the ELX112P's were 37lbs, the ART 312a's stand out at 38lbs, but due to the composite cabinet they feel a lot lighter.  Unlike the EV's, they have handles on both sides, as well as the top, so it is a lot easier to carry them.  Rear panel is pretty simple, XLR and 1/4" in with an XLR pass thru, volume control, flat/boost EQ control, and power switch.  No, it doesn't have the integrated mixer like the EV ELX's have, but that's not a huge deal for me ( I have an adapter if I just want to use them for music playback around the house )

First show I had them out on was a 4-piece rock band, but due to issues with shipping (carrier's fault) I only had 4, which was fine, as I could give everyone a single wedge each.  One thing I did find out, is the IEC power cable design, while not locking, requires you to actually shove the power cable in to get a good fit, which means if you don't plug it in all the way the first time, you may lose power on it.  But, once it's in, it stays extremely snug.  Compared to the EV's, I used very little EQ to prevent feedback (actually I barely used any at all and never had a problem with feedback, and there was plenty of headroom and volume according to the band).  So far, so good.  Used them a couple of times around the house since then just to listen to music in the pool, and I'm impressed.  Ran them with the boosted EQ on, and there was plenty of punch and volume for recorded music.

Second show (last night) was a 5K run, with a two-piece acoustic act playing and some party music throughout the night.  Main system was my QSC KW rig (2 KW153's with 4 KW181's) which yes, was way overkill for acoustic, but really needed for the playback music.  Used 2 of the ART 312's as monitors, 2 as rear fills for the stage (stage was in the near middle of the park) and 1 more at the start line for announcements and starting the race (last second option, good thing I had them handy!).  I was extremely impressed with the 312's performance.  While the 5K was going on, I had music playing at full tilt, and aimed the rear fills at the respective corners of the park and walked down to listen to them, and they did not break up or lose intelligibility hardly at all, even at the corners of the park, a good 200' away from the stage.  While they did lose volume (which is given with the distance) the speakers still sounded extremely clear and kept up very well with the KW153's (which are almost 3x the price).  If this is how the low end RCF stuff sounds, then I can't wait to change over to the higher end RCF gear.

So for a final summary...Pro's: Lightweight, easy to handle, very clean crisp sound at all levels.  Con's: limited inputs (not a major deal for dedicated live sound users), hard limiter, would prefer full grille design (which is coming soon) for appearances.
When you're reading a topic, and the word "Danley" comes up...RUN!!!

Reggie Kendrick

• Channel Live Productions - raising the bar...
    • Channel Live Productions
Re: RCF ART 312a - First Thoughts
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 08:18:03 PM »

I replaced my EV LiveX ELX monitor rig with (for the moment) 6 RCF ART 312a's.  First thoughts, while they would look better with the full grille, they don't look entirely ugly like some loudspeakers do...

I use mine for Karaoke and rentals and YES, they look much better with the full grills:

« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 08:52:36 PM by Reggie Kendrick »
Raising the bar...

Atlanta Wedding DJs
Atlanta DJs / Wedding DJs / Prom DJs ...and more

Mike Sullivan

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 02:51:27 PM »

I use mine for Karaoke and rentals and YES, they look much better with the full grills:

Your picture is a lot nicer than mine was lol :P As of last week I ordered two more so I now have 8, plus a pair of RCF ART 905's, but one of my original 6 had an HF driver go out on it for some reason, which is weird because I have never had them at limit or had them squeal bad.  I will say this much, you will need an extremely long handled Phillips screwdriver to replace the HF drivers, they are a 4 bolt design versus standard threaded, and the way the cabinet is designed, you can't access it from the amp panel..Be EXTREMELY careful with the screws holding the mounting plate to the driver, they strip VERY easy.  Regardless, I've had nothing but good words come from them, they are a lot more feedback resistant than my ELX's were, I have no problem getting the monitors up to volume (and even beyond).  I've used them on a couple outdoor shows, one to a buddy of mine and one to myself, and love them.  The bands also loved them.  For the price, you just can't beat it.

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 11:49:08 PM »

Mike, somewhat OT, but is that your staging and truss/roof? IIRC, you had been thinking about getting a portable stage. Mark C.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Mike Sullivan

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2014, 01:16:48 AM »

Mike, somewhat OT, but is that your staging and truss/roof? IIRC, you had been thinking about getting a portable stage. Mark C.

No this was not my stage, it was rented from one of our friends, the guy I have been doing work with - his stage was the main stage, this was the "B" stage.  I'm still thinking about staging, but I'm going to steer away from a roof for now, there's enough resources here for one if we need it.  I'm still tossed up between a modular stage like we have now (Intellistage) or a trailer stage.  Trailer stage seems like the more cost efficient idea, but costs more at the beginning.

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2014, 04:41:23 AM »

If you fit those full height grilles, do you need to drill holes for the top two screws?

Steve.

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 04:12:45 AM »

If you fit those full height grilles, do you need to drill holes for the top two screws?

Steve.

Yes, two small holes for the top screws.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

mike mullin

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2014, 03:29:28 PM »

Where does one get full screens for RCF 310a's and 312a's ?
Thanks Mike Mullin
Cheers,
Mike Mullin
Ottawa Ontario

David Morison

• SR Forums
  • Aberdeen, Scotland
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2014, 08:03:50 AM »

Where does one get full screens for RCF 310a's and 312a's ?
Thanks Mike Mullin

Not sure if they do them for the 10's but they're readily available for the 12's at most RCF stockists - here's one example in my territory for example:

http://www.leisuretec.co.uk/products/details/webrcf00204

You may just need to call your stockist to get them ordered if your local options don't advertise them though.

Cheers,
David.

Richard Penrose

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2015, 06:33:18 AM »

Not sure if they do them for the 10's but they're readily available for the 12's at most RCF stockists - here's one example in my territory for example:

http://www.leisuretec.co.uk/products/details/webrcf00204

You may just need to call your stockist to get them ordered if your local options don't advertise them though.

Cheers,
David.

Would I be right in thinking these full grills are not compatible with the mkIII 312a's?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2015, 06:33:18 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 22 queries.