ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PRX710 (or similar) versus JBL EON515XT (or similar) and Sub  (Read 5159 times)

jesseweiss

I'm thinking of upgrading our mediocre speakers (Behringer) for something a little better.  What we have isn't horrible, but I'd like to upgrade the quality of the sound, since we tend to push the Behringers and I think we need more headroom.

I'm hoping to spend in the $1500-$2000 range and I'm trying to decide if I'd be better getting 2 solid speakers like PRX's or K10/12's, or spread the $ out by getting a a pair of $500 speakers (roughly) and a matching sub.  We use SM58's so our mics are okay.

We're a 4 piece rock band and we play the normal pubs, bars, outdoor events, etc... usually in the 50-200 person range depending on the venue.  We generally run the vocals, bass, guitars, and drums through the system, although the extent to which depends on the venue, as would be expected.

My goal is to get a little more volume for larger outdoor events, and most importantly more clarity in the sound (particularly for the vocals).

I've listened to both levels of speakers and the sound quality is a very obvious difference, but I haven't been able to listen to a band through both setups.

Paul G. OBrien

Re: PRX710 (or similar) versus JBL EON515XT (or similar) and Sub
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 11:29:44 AM »

A pair of 10" or 12" tops with even a single sub will always sound better(more bass and clearer mids) than a pair of 15's on sticks.

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 11:39:24 AM »

A pair of 10" or 12" tops with even a single sub will always sound better(more bass and clearer mids) than a pair of 15's on sticks.

I would disagree with this. It depends on the equipment chosen and the skill of the soundman.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Thomas Le

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014, 11:54:08 AM »

I would advise against the QSC speakers in general, since they use conical coverage, the HF material will be all over the place indoors. IMO the ideal setup would be PRX735 on PRX718XLF, you'll definitely get clarity and volume but you'll have to up your budget to achieve this.

Jon C Thomas

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2014, 12:37:37 PM »

For 200 people and rock music subs will be a good idea. I would start with a powered 18" and then  decide how much more top you will need. Yamaha and EV make decent boxes that are less than the new JBL's.

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2014, 12:46:52 PM »

I'm thinking of upgrading our mediocre speakers (Behringer) for something a little better.  What we have isn't horrible, but I'd like to upgrade the quality of the sound, since we tend to push the Behringers and I think we need more headroom.

I'm hoping to spend in the $1500-$2000 range and I'm trying to decide if I'd be better getting 2 solid speakers like PRX's or K10/12's, or spread the $ out by getting a a pair of $500 speakers (roughly) and a matching sub.  We use SM58's so our mics are okay.

We're a 4 piece rock band and we play the normal pubs, bars, outdoor events, etc... usually in the 50-200 person range depending on the venue.  We generally run the vocals, bass, guitars, and drums through the system, although the extent to which depends on the venue, as would be expected.

My goal is to get a little more volume for larger outdoor events, and most importantly more clarity in the sound (particularly for the vocals).

I've listened to both levels of speakers and the sound quality is a very obvious difference, but I haven't been able to listen to a band through both setups.

Yamaha DXS12 sub. $700 I've done rooms as big as 50 x100 with this(not at super high volumes, mind you, but with 4-5 piece rock bands at good volumes) and a pair of DXR10s at $600 ea.   That's one system inside your budget that will work and will sound good.  As far as outdoor events, unless you are in a confined area, like a deck behind a bar or someone's small backyard, you will probably not be able to put together a system with your budget that is going to be very loud outside.
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2014, 12:53:03 PM »

Yamaha DXS12 sub. $700 I've done rooms as big as 50 x100 with this(not at super high volumes, mind you, but with 4-5 piece rock bands at good volumes) and a pair of DXR10s at $600 ea.   That's one system inside your budget that will work and will sound good.  As far as outdoor events, unless you are in a confined area, like a deck behind a bar or someone's small backyard, you will probably not be able to put together a system with your budget that is going to be very loud outside.

Here's another idea for $2000. Pair of ELX112ps($600 ea) and an ELX118P sub($800) or an Yamaha DXS15 (also $800).
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

Scott Bolt

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2014, 03:20:37 PM »

I am not a fan of the EON's.

Given your constraint of 2K, you kind of have two routes you could pursue.

The first is a pair of DXR15's.  These will give you the vocal clarity you are looking for and a surprising amount of bass response....... not the same bass response you will get with dedicated subs, but not bad either.

The ideal setup would be to get a good matched pair of powered tops and subs.  This will run you more like 4-5K though (more than 2x your budget).

The better subs in the MI class run around $1300 each (KW181 and PRX718XLF).  There are lower priced subs, but they are not of the same quality or output level as these two (but still better than no sub at all).

Another approach would be to buy a single sub and single top, then save up for when you could afford another pair.  Either the JBL PRX or QSC KW's would be my recommendation, 12" over 18".

Go to your local music store and try them out to see what you think.

jesseweiss

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2014, 10:01:04 PM »

Thanks for the responses guys.  As I assumed, I think the best course of action is to get a decent sub now, and then upgrade the tops later.  I've read a lot of strong reviews on the RCF ART 312/315 series, so that's another possibility for tops that would fit my budget (or very close) with a decent sub.

Do you think it would be a big hit to sound quality to mix brands between the tops and the sub?

As for the comment for outside, I should have mentioned it's still similar sized crowds.  Things like local fairs, etc...,  not a big outdoor concert so the same equipment should suffice.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2014, 10:01:04 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 23 queries.