ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Brand does Matter  (Read 31548 times)

Stephen Swaffer

Re: The Brand does Matter
« Reply #70 on: May 15, 2014, 05:09:58 PM »

I have always felt that it is best to have the right tool for the job.  That said, in most cases you are better off with less than an ideal tool and a skilled tech, than with the best gear you can buy and a less skilled-or should a say a less professional tech. Obviously at the highest levels only the best gear will do-but if you don't have an equally qualified tech much of the gears potential will be wasted.

It is easier to say, "if only I had..." than it is to build ones skills.  I have never been able to afford top of the line gear-but if I am honest about it, rarely is the gear my sole limitation.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 05:14:52 PM by Stephen Swaffer »
Steve Swaffer

Brian Charbobs

« Reply #71 on: May 15, 2014, 08:12:30 PM »

I have always felt that it is best to have the right tool for the job.  That said, in most cases you are better off with less than an ideal tool and a skilled tech, than with the best gear you can buy and a less skilled-or should a say a less professional tech. Obviously at the highest levels only the best gear will do-but if you don't have an equally qualified tech much of the gears potential will be wasted.

It is easier to say, "if only I had..." than it is to build ones skills.  I have never been able to afford top of the line gear-but if I am honest about it, rarely is the gear my sole limitation.

It appears that to be a sound person you need also to be a lawyer, or have one on hand to deal with the contracts that are getting more and more crazier.
They always know how to take the fun out of it. I feel bad for a lot of you guys, that it is turning out this way.
Friends don't let friends use Behringer

Nicolas Poisson

• Paris, France
« Reply #72 on: May 16, 2014, 04:10:55 AM »

It appears that to be a sound person you need also to be a lawyer

That is not at all what I understand reading the whole thread.

My understanding, which mostly meets my own small experience, is:
- riders at lounge level might appear crazy but they are highly negotiable. They are written by people not knowing much about riders and copying other riders. They put standard mics on the riders, and will accept any replacement.
- riders at higher level might appear crazy. They might be negotiable on some aspects, or may not. Anyway they are not that crazy, they are consistent with the money at stake in such events.

Also, my own experience is: I hardly encountered huge conflicts between bands and house engineers. I find it strange to keep reading stories of wars between band's staff and house staff. Like if they were enemies forced to work together. Conflicts may happen some time, and signed contracts might be called into the discussion. That does not make sound engineers "lawyers".

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #72 on: May 16, 2014, 04:10:55 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 21 queries.