ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: The Brand does Matter  (Read 31547 times)

David Morison

• SR Forums
  • Aberdeen, Scotland
Re: The Brand does Matter
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2014, 08:39:10 AM »

Behringer and Mackie I can (sort of) understand.  But why A & H?

Steve.

In addition to Tim and David S's points, I've heard (albeit apocryphally ) that early versions of I think the GL series weren't particularly reliable - to the point that they were apparently nicknamed Allen & Grief for a while. Pretty sure that was a long time ago though.
Cheers,
David.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2014, 09:07:39 AM »

In addition to Tim and David S's points, I've heard (albeit apocryphally ) that early versions of I think the GL series weren't particularly reliable - to the point that they were apparently nicknamed Allen & Grief for a while. Pretty sure that was a long time ago though.
Cheers,
David.

They made a shitty console ~30 years ago and someone had a bad day/night with it.  "NO Allen-Heath" appeared on the rider and it's been copied ever since.

David S. pretty much sums up the rest of the story.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2014, 10:10:39 AM »

If you have seen the Iggy and The Stooges rider on the internet, you will see that it says:

"Preferred front of house consoles are Midas XL4, Heritage H3000, XL3 or Soundcraft Series 5. In that order. DEFINITELY NO YAMAHAS & DEFINITELY NO DIGITAL CONSOLES."

So someone doesn't like Yamaha!

For anyone who hasn't seen it: http://www.iggypop.org/stoogesrider.html

Steve.

Jason Raboin

• Klondike Sound
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2014, 10:42:58 AM »

I just rewrote a rider and included this:

JBL VRX, SRX, Renkus Heinz, Bose, Peavey, Yamaha, Behringer, or proprietary       speakers are never acceptable.  Clair doesn’t count as proprietary.

Jason Raboin
Partner
Klondike Sound

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2014, 10:51:16 AM »

I never understood the no allen and heath!

Allen and Heath had a really bad reputation back in the 80s and early 90s.  Some of this is hangover from those days.  Part of it is also to weed out "bottom feeders" bidding on shows, or more correctly, these providers hired by promoters.

That said, AH has done a good job over the years providing quality product for a good price.
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

David Parker

« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2014, 11:20:35 AM »

Cheers,
David.
A church I was a member of 25 years ago bought an A&H 32 channel mixer. When first plugged in, it lit up red light a christmas tree. It was a modular unit, where the channel strips could be changed out from the top side. 3 bad channel strips out of the box. It went downhill from there. The church had bought it from an installer who was not a dealer, and A&H wouldn't do anything, said it was a used mixer. I heard they had a bad problem during that time with cold solder joints. I bought an A&H GL2200 new 10 or so years ago. I hated it from the start and never developed a liking to it. And it had problems early on. 6 months old and 3 bad channels and some switches that had to be routinely exercised. I hear many stories of people who loved them though.

Jon C Thomas

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2014, 11:59:46 AM »

Good luck with that!
Half the venues in this town are using X32's now and the sound has improved for the most part.

At the lounge level you are lucky to get working equipment and a "engineer" who can locate a circuit that is not overloaded. :o

Kemper Watson

• Woodstock GA
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2014, 12:52:49 PM »

A church I was a member of 25 years ago bought an A&H 32 channel mixer. When first plugged in, it lit up red light a christmas tree. It was a modular unit, where the channel strips could be changed out from the top side. 3 bad channel strips out of the box. It went downhill from there. The church had bought it from an installer who was not a dealer, and A&H wouldn't do anything, said it was a used mixer. I heard they had a bad problem during that time with cold solder joints. I bought an A&H GL2200 new 10 or so years ago. I hated it from the start and never developed a liking to it. And it had problems early on. 6 months old and 3 bad channels and some switches that had to be routinely exercised. I hear many stories of people who loved them though.

But now I have a Mixwiz that's been dropped from over 5 ft, twice, and soaked once. Never an issue in over 7 years

Matt Vivlamore

• Lab Lounge
  • Southern Maryland
    • https://www.facebook.com/MeerkatSound/
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2014, 01:22:00 PM »

I work with an Corpy/Wedding Event band and the audience size always ranges.  I don't often get to pick and choose my gear/console for the gig, but on the Band Rider, it does say:

Open Paragraph has the generic statement of no gear from: Bose, Behringer, Phonic, RadioShack & blah blah other low budget companies.

In the Speakers/Mains:
PA must be adequate for the room/event.  The system must have appropriate DSP with manufacture speaker tunings loaded; NO "custom" shop tunes allowed.  Preferred to have the system set-up with Aux Sub & Front Fills.  Band performs a wide range of music from Jazz to Current Top 40/Dance. 

And then in the Console section, I wrote:
Digital console preferred from Avid/DigiDesign, DigiCo, Midas & Yahama.  Absolutely no Behringer X32 or PreSonus StudioLive.
(I hate the workflow/interface of the X32 and don't get me started on the PreSonus.)

So far this year I've had:
Yamaha M7CL & Nexo S8/RS12
DigiCo & Meyer/L'Acoustics
Yamaha LS9-32 & VRX932LA/VRX918S
Avid Venue Profile & d&b Q-Rig with B2
Yamaha M7CL & SLS line array
Avid Venue Profile & d&b C-Rig

Oh wait, this is the Lounge... so you wouldn't be seeing this gear or request at this level.  I'm I am handling a local festival (the head liner is a C-Level regional touring artist); the only thing I read in the rider is: the number of inputs the band needs and how many monitor mixes.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 01:26:22 PM by Matt Vivlamore »
We're based in Southern Maryland, and LIKE us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MeerkatSound/

David Parker

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2014, 01:53:48 PM »

But now I have a Mixwiz that's been dropped from over 5 ft, twice, and soaked once. Never an issue in over 7 years
I've never heard anything bad about the mixwiz. I would hope that A&H has gotten a handle on their issues since I had trouble with them.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2014, 01:53:48 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 22 queries.